wake-on-lan cable goes where?

Old August 5th 04, 06:56 PM
James

Default wake-on-lan cable goes where?

where do i plug my wake-on-lan cable on my motherboard? i found the location
on the network card. the system is a dell dimention 4300. here is the
manual, the mobo specs are on page 68.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/2h930bk1.pdf

if it doesn't have a mobo port can i split it into the psu some how?

Old August 6th 04, 12:33 AM
kony

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:56:59 GMT, "James"
wrote:

where do i plug my wake-on-lan cable on my motherboard? i found the location
on the network card. the system is a dell dimention 4300. here is the
manual, the mobo specs are on page 68.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/2h930bk1.pdf

if it doesn't have a mobo port can i split it into the psu some how?

Some motherboards don't have a wake-on-lan header on them, but
you might find a setting in the bios for waking on PCI *devices*.
Don't know about that specific motherboard.

Do NOT splice it into the power supply leads.
Old August 6th 04, 01:37 AM
Michael Culley

"kony" wrote in message ...
Do NOT splice it into the power supply leads.

That would be possible. AFIAK, one is ground, one is 5 volts and one is supplied 5 volts when WOL is activated. The first 2 would be
easy enough and you could use the 5v out to activate a relay (or some other mechanism) which activates the power button.

--
Michael Culley

Old August 6th 04, 06:41 AM
kony

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:37:21 +1000, "Michael Culley"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message ...
Do NOT splice it into the power supply leads.

That would be possible. AFIAK, one is ground, one is 5 volts and one is supplied 5 volts when WOL is activated. The first 2 would be
easy enough and you could use the 5v out to activate a relay (or some other mechanism) which activates the power button.

When there isn't a WOL header there is no need to do it, the
feature is enabled with bios settings and modem driver
properties.
Old August 6th 04, 07:01 AM
Michael Culley

"kony" wrote in message ...
When there isn't a WOL header there is no need to do it, the
feature is enabled with bios settings and modem driver
properties.

Depends on the age of the board. I agree doing a solder job would be the last resort but it should be possible if required on fairly
old boards.

--
Michael Culley

Old August 6th 04, 11:10 PM
James

heres some specs about my machine, it says that remote wake up doesn't work
on S5 modes and i did some research s5 mode means shutdown.
http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/syst...0/syssetup.htm
does that mean even if i have a pci 2.2 this won't work? (cuz it doesnt seem
to work. could it because my nic doesn't suport the pci 2.2 remote wake up?
its an intel pro/100+ nic and the drivers do have wake on lan but it doesn't
work)

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
where do i plug my wake-on-lan cable on my motherboard? i found the

location
on the network card. the system is a dell dimention 4300. here is the
manual, the mobo specs are on page 68.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/2h930bk1.pdf

if it doesn't have a mobo port can i split it into the psu some how?

--

If thats a relatively new machine and its a relatively new NIC you're
putting in it, you wont need a WOL cable because power management will be

wire).
You'll be able to set it up properly without interfering with the PSU.

Paul

Old August 7th 04, 02:52 AM
kony

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:10:07 GMT, "James"
wrote:

heres some specs about my machine, it says that remote wake up doesn't work
on S5 modes and i did some research s5 mode means shutdown.
http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/syst...0/syssetup.htm
does that mean even if i have a pci 2.2 this won't work? (cuz it doesnt seem
to work. could it because my nic doesn't suport the pci 2.2 remote wake up?
its an intel pro/100+ nic and the drivers do have wake on lan but it doesn't
work)

Where does it say it doesn't work?

I saw the part that read:

--------------------------

"Allows remote Wake on LAN. (Dell does not support Wake on LAN in
S3 or S5 Suspend Modes on this Dimension™ system.) The default is
Off."

--------------------------

That Dell "does not support..." doesn't necessarily mean it won't
work, only that they don't SUPPORT it, as a matter of providing
technical assistance or warranty to an end-user based on that
feature. That the setting exists is in itself is a sign that you
do have the feature. There may be another setting that we are
missing, a Dell forum or newsgroup may be better able to assist
you. I do think the Intel NIC supports this feature without the
WOL cable, as a PCI event, but perhaps Dell hid and disabled that
part of your bios setup... OEMs LOVE to disable and hide
features.
Old August 9th 04, 09:11 PM
James

heres where i read the s5 isn't suported. i assumed it ment that it doesn't
work:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...s5+Wake#M18367

the "remote wake up" option is enabled in my Bios. i updated my intel nic
drivers and they have a remote wake up with magic packet option that i
selected then i used amd's magic packet application to send a magic packet
to that computer's mac and ip address and nothing happend.

wrote:

heres some specs about my machine, it says that remote wake up doesn't

work
on S5 modes and i did some research s5 mode means shutdown.
http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/syst...0/syssetup.htm
does that mean even if i have a pci 2.2 this won't work? (cuz it doesnt

seem
to work. could it because my nic doesn't suport the pci 2.2 remote wake

up?
its an intel pro/100+ nic and the drivers do have wake on lan but it

doesn't
work)

Where does it say it doesn't work?

I saw the part that read:

--------------------------

"Allows remote Wake on LAN. (Dell does not support Wake on LAN in
S3 or S5 Suspend Modes on this DimensionT system.) The default is
Off."

--------------------------

Old August 10th 04, 12:31 AM
kony

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:11:43 GMT, "James"
wrote:

heres where i read the s5 isn't suported. i assumed it ment that it doesn't
work:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...s5+Wake#M18367

the "remote wake up" option is enabled in my Bios. i updated my intel nic
drivers and they have a remote wake up with magic packet option that i
selected then i used amd's magic packet application to send a magic packet
to that computer's mac and ip address and nothing happend.

You might see if Intel provides a utility on their website (or
even on the driver floppy) to enable or configure this.

USB 2.0 extension cable Doughboy General 9 March 16th 04 06:23 PM
ATA100 cable Pin #34 (CBLID) V W Wall General 2 January 5th 04 07:59 PM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
IDE Conductor Cable? rcm General 0 July 24th 03 06:44 AM