Geforce 5600 fx and game crashes

Old July 12th 03, 10:51 PM
Jeff Cooper

Default Geforce 5600 fx and game crashes

I bought a computer from IBuypower and it has a geforce 5600 fx video card.
Every game i play; plays ok for a few minutes and then crashes. Screen goes
black and the sound is in a continuous loop. Wondered if anyone else has
experienced this. I'm using the 44.71 drivers, but have tried every driver
from 44.03 up to the 71 and still have the same problem.

Thanks for any help
Jeff

Old July 12th 03, 11:29 PM
YanquiDawg

Might be a sound card issue.Try some new sound drivers. Also,what version of
DirectX is installed. Make sure it's at least 8.1.

Old July 12th 03, 11:31 PM

Check the manufacturer's website to see if there are any new motherboard
chipset driver updates. Otherwise try turning the sound hardware
acceleration down a notch or two and se if that helps. Failing that contact
the manufacturer for assistance.

regards

Old July 13th 03, 12:05 AM
baskitcaise

Jeff Cooper wrote:

I bought a computer from IBuypower and it has a geforce 5600 fx video card.
Every game i play; plays ok for a few minutes and then crashes. Screen goes
black and the sound is in a continuous loop. Wondered if anyone else has
experienced this. I'm using the 44.71 drivers, but have tried every driver
from 44.03 up to the 71 and still have the same problem.

Thanks for any help
Jeff

I have noticed that Morrowind locks up now with my 5600, worked fine until I
put a barton 2800 in a couple of days ago, everything else I have tried works
fine ( but not tested everything yet )

Any clues?
--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
Old July 13th 03, 02:59 AM
Eudean Sun

Sounds like an overheating problem to me (either processor or video card).
If you're not overclocking then I'm not sure why it would be overheating,
but with cheaper components this can happen.

Old July 13th 03, 03:14 AM
Dave

It sounds like the whole damn computer crashed. I don't see why you are
blaming the 5600.
Dave

Old July 14th 03, 09:05 AM
Ron Merts

I agree, sounds like heat to me, possibly not enough power as well; but
definitely sounds like a heat issue.

Ron

Old July 15th 03, 01:57 AM
Jeff Cooper

The computer i bought was supposed to come with a 420 watt power supply. It
came with a program called speadgear for overclocking. One of the buttons
shows the power and it gives this readout: 3.312 v and another that says 5.0
v. Do you think i need a new power supply? The temperature is always
hovering around 43 degrees celcius, don't think its a heating problem.

Jeff