Radeon 9800 pro, 3.5 drivers, 3dmark03 = 5090 ??

Old June 24th 03, 12:35 PM
Todd Richert

Default Radeon 9800 pro, 3.5 drivers, 3dmark03 = 5090 ??

Ok now I am well aware that 3dmark03 scores are lower then 3dmark01 by
quite a bit, and I am well aware of the D9 prefrence (but this is a D9
card).

Now 5090 looks like a good score kind of in the middle of everyones
test results .. but to me it shouldn't be in the middle ??

Test system =

Abit IC7
Intel P4 3.0GHZ (800mhz FSB)
Micron PC3200 DDRRAM (1GB, 4 chips so utilizing the doubling ability)
2 * Western Digital Raptor's in Raid 0 (super fast ! love these guys)
Radeon 9800 PRO 128meg version
Windows XP SP1
Catalyst 3.5 (most current download as of yesterday)

I see people with 2.6ghz 533mhz fsb processors with pc2700 ram getting
scores of 5100 .. what am i missing ? (yes i know scores aren't
everything at the same time i spent a lot of money on this rig and i
want to eek every ounce of performance out of it i can).
Old June 24th 03, 12:44 PM
Ceyko

Are you sure it is a Pro? Of course you are Yeah, my 9800NP gets those
same scores so something is not quite right...also, I have the same specs as
you only 512 on the RAM side.

Is it a big manufactured computer such as Dell? Recently, I reformatted my
drive and went straight to cat 3.4. My 3dmark03 scores were only 3300 or
so. I had to install the Dell drivers and then install the 3.4s on top of
those. After that I received a score that is similar to yours.

Good luck,
Ceyko
"Todd Richert" wrote in message
om...
[...]

x-- Access to over 700 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old June 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Frank Weston

I'm running a very similar system and my 3DM2003 default setting scores are
running 5800 to 6000 no matter how I configure my processor (2.8 to 3.4 GHz)
or set up my memory. I think your scores are unacceptably low, there
shouldn't be a 15% variation. I'm also running the latest drivers, but I am
running Win2K SP 3. Could the operating system be making a difference? I
don't think it's your processor or memory holding you back.

Are you running the freeware version of 3DM2003? Are you running at the
default settings? If not, that could also explain a difference in scores.

BTW, my Radeon 9800 Pro is a Sapphire.

Old June 24th 03, 04:21 PM
Sanies

Yep dude that score is definately below what you should get with your
machine specs.
I have an AMD 2800 Kt400 mobo 9700 Pro1gig ram (2x512) and a Barra V SATA
drive.
With everything at default settings (Hardware & software) I get just under
the 5000 mark 4875 I think it was so your comp should definately perform
better than that.

Sanies

"Frank Weston" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old June 24th 03, 04:27 PM
Sanies

Sorry dude I should have added that I am using XP Pro SP1.
Also try playing with the memory timings in the bios as a bit more
aggressive timings may make no difference but may help out but cannot hurt.
And check all your transfer speeds ie HDD transfers make sure aais off
etcetc

Sanies

u...

Old June 24th 03, 06:23 PM
TT 1080i

With my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (Built by ATI) with Cat 3.5 my 03 mark is 5422
PC: P4 2.4
512 Rdram
intel D850emv2
XP sp1
dirX 9.0a
1024x768@32

Are you running the 3d mark with default ati properties?

Old June 24th 03, 07:23 PM
Usenetter

Epox 8RDA3+ (225 FSB)
XP1700 DUT3C 0312xx (9.5 = 2134 MHz [XP2700+] stable)
2 x 256MB OCZ PC3700 EL (450 - 6-3-3 / 2.0 - dual mode)
Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro

3DMk03 - 5,098

3DMk01 - 16,126

u...

Old June 24th 03, 07:53 PM
Glzmo

h2so4 wrote:
Are you running the 3d mark with default ati properties?

What's the point of doing otherwise? I can understand that people
fascinated by numbers might get some pleasure by disabling features
simply to reach a higher score. But if one wants to compare one's
system performance with that of other systems, surely the most useful
and informative comparison is between systems running as they would
in normal use?

Were I interested in generating high numbers I'd be more tempted to
buy a pinball machine than a computer.

When I run 3dMark I run it with the settings I usually play with, IE 6xFSAA,
8x Performance Anisotropic filtering etc.. I didn't play the thing very
often, though, as it's not really fun, so I don't really remember the
3DMarks. But I play other games alot and they are fun

Old June 24th 03, 09:59 PM
Hoonose

Around 5250

Soyo P4X400 P4 2.4 @2.58
512MB Winbond PC3200 @400Turbo
ATI 9700 Pro @365/338
2-WD400JB 8MB cache RAID0
Enermax 430 Watts Power
Audigy
WinMe

As the test is mainly a video card performance test, you should be
10-15% higher than my score, I would think. The rest of your hardware
has little impact on the score. What's the core/memory speeds on your
video card? Of course, to properly compare scores, you need to turn
off all AA and AF in the D3D properties, which may not be your default
settings.

Gene
Old June 25th 03, 04:38 AM
Steve Colburn

[...]

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 3.0 800fsb
1gb PC3500 RAM (2 512 sticks)
ATI Radeon Pro 9800
All settings in BIOS & 3DMark03 set at default - no overclocking

5755

Steve