CPU insertion causes system to shut down after a few seconds

Old July 9th 04, 02:54 PM
Ja

Default CPU insertion causes system to shut down after a few seconds

Hi - Celeron 900 seems to be stopping the system from starting - This is an
existing CPU but the system does not power on. I have checked the PSU with
tester and replacement - I have removed everything from the system and my
results are below.

1) With the CPU installed, the system starts up for a second and then dies
2) With CPU taken out, the system turns on and power stays on ( i do not
have a spare CPU to test this with)
3) If however RAM is taken out and CPU left in, then I get the RAM error
BIOS beeps but the system stays powered on

I am thinking still that this is the CPU - but have I miised anything. Your
help would be grateully received as I am trying o take my A+.

regards,
Jack

Old July 9th 04, 02:55 PM
Ja

"Ja" wrote in message ...
Hi - Celeron 900 seems to be stopping the system from starting - This is

an
existing CPU but the system does not power on. I have checked the PSU with
tester and replacement - I have removed everything from the system and my
results are below.

1) With the CPU installed, the system starts up for a second and then dies
2) With CPU taken out, the system turns on and power stays on ( i do not
have a spare CPU to test this with)
3) If however RAM is taken out and CPU left in, then I get the RAM error
BIOS beeps but the system stays powered on

I am thinking still that this is the CPU - but have I miised anything.

Your
help would be grateully received as I am trying o take my A+.

regards,
Jack

P.S - The CPU fan is working all the time -

Old July 9th 04, 03:17 PM
Pen

and have you tried it with a different ram stick? or
checked the ram elsewhere?

Old July 9th 04, 03:21 PM
Ja

"Ja" wrote in message

"Ja" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I have tried another RAM stick - but the system reacted the same as
before

Old July 9th 04, 03:31 PM
Pen

To be frank, I'd suspect a PSU first in this case. CPUs that
function don't draw enough current to do what you describe as
they
usually are dead by then. The same for ram sticks

Old July 9th 04, 03:33 PM
hawk

I am no expert, but condition 3 would seem to indicate a memory
problem, or maybe some other component in the POST.

hawk

Old July 9th 04, 03:35 PM
Ja

Ja wrote:
[...]

I did try another working RAM stick and I try another PSU - thanks for all
your help - what else could it be - all cards where removed. (onboard
graphics)

Old July 9th 04, 03:46 PM
Ja

"Ja" wrote in message

"Ja" wrote in message
[...]

Someone installed a modem a few weeks ago - could this have somehow damaged
the motherboard to cause this ?

Old July 9th 04, 04:11 PM
hawk

Well, the CPU stays powered when there is no memory. You get an error
and the POST stops. It could be the next step in the POST that causes
the problem. Is the battery that maintains power to the CMOS OK?

hawk

Old July 9th 04, 04:21 PM
Ja

Ja wrote:

[...]

Yes the bios battery is reading correctly - how would that cause it - is the
next step in POST. If the cpu is one of the first things to get checked
(before RAM?) on post then what would happen if the post did not find a
cpu -

understanding processor speed Shdyldy General 9 May 13th 04 01:05 AM
Troubles with new system GAR General 5 April 30th 04 08:10 PM
Promise S150 SX4 hangs whole system during system boot (POST)... Plz help! Morten General 1 March 4th 04 11:39 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM