ASUS SABERTOOTH X58: I dont succeed to install new Chipset.

Old June 10th 11, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default ASUS SABERTOOTH X58: I dont succeed to install new Chipset.

Paul and Rob,
I have just intalled this file:
Nome file: iata_cd.exe Versione: 10.1.0.1008

Now in My Compuer/Controller Storage I see:
Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID
Controller

Why is there "Server Express Chipset "
Is it the right driver for me?
However it seems to work fine.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Old June 11th 11, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

With that Update my PC now works very fine. A last question please:
in My Compuer/Storage Controller I'd like tu update another driver. On
itI see "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller" 25-12-2009 v. 1.0.0.1034
Can I update it with a newer driver? In ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 in SATA
page I see:

Marvell 91XX Controller Beta Driver V1.2.0.1002 for Windows 32/64bit
Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

and

Marvell 9128 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1034 for 32/64bit Windows XP &
Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL)

Are they the right driver for me?
I inform you I have:
1 hardrive for OS
2 hardrives in RAID0
2 hardrives in RAID0

Can I install that driver?
Thanks
Old June 11th 11, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
With that Update my PC now works very fine. A last question please:
in My Compuer/Storage Controller I'd like tu update another driver. On
itI see "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller" 25-12-2009 v. 1.0.0.1034
Can I update it with a newer driver? In ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 in SATA
page I see:

Marvell 91XX Controller Beta Driver V1.2.0.1002 for Windows 32/64bit
Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

and

Marvell 9128 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1034 for 32/64bit Windows XP &
Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL)

Are they the right driver for me?
I inform you I have:
1 hardrive for OS
2 hardrives in RAID0
2 hardrives in RAID0

Can I install that driver?
Thanks

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

"The standard Marvell driver has issues, as many people have reported
in this forum, just look at some older posts to see. Freezing is a
common problem with that driver, I assume you are using that one.

There is a new Beta driver that Marvell has released that works much
better than the previous one, and is available now on the Download page
for this board. It is an AHCI driver, but does not support RAID as
the older driver does. It works much better and I have only heard
good things about it. I use it on two PCs with Marvell chips and it
works fine."

So if you use the beta driver, it doesn't support RAID, and that may
break whatever RAID configuration you have connected to the Marvell SATA 6G ports.

Another thread here, mentions drives disappearing, after a large file transfer
is attempted.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...age=2&count=17

Marvell does not offer support for storage drivers here, only their network chips.

http://extranet.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

If doesn't seem that the Marvell is a very good chip, as the users here discuss
trying to work with driver issues. Playing with this, looks like it is
more trouble than it is worth. Use the ICH10R ports, for all your RAID
needs.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=4236.0

At the very least, you should test the drives currently
connected to the Marvell controller, and see whether
the drive "disappears" or not. If it does, then you know
that the Marvell is a poor choice.

Paul
Old June 12th 11, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

more trouble than it is worth. Use the ICH10R ports, for all your RAID
needs.

Will I need to change something on the BIOS?
What is the file to install ICH10R ports for my motherboard?
If it doesn't work fine, can I come back easily?

thanks for your infinite patience
Old June 12th 11, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
more trouble than it is worth. Use the ICH10R ports, for all your RAID
needs.

Will I need to change something on the BIOS?
What is the file to install ICH10R ports for my motherboard?
If it doesn't work fine, can I come back easily?

thanks for your infinite patience

In an earlier posting, you said you have two RAID arrays
connected. One of those arrays must be connected to ICH10R, so
the interface must already be in RAID mode.

Go back, and review the cabling you're using for the drive,
and which connector the drive is using.

Do all of the drives work at the current time ? Is the
system fully configured, or are you still working on it ?
I can't tell, from this thread so far, whether you
are just updating drivers, and all the drives work.
Or, you are in the process of building the system
from scratch, and nothing currently works.

Yes, you can change modes for disks. Some things are
easier to do than others. Windows 7 supports "driver re-arming"
via a registry change, which can make a transition from
one mode to another a bit easier for the boot drive.

The following information, is for situations where the "boot drive"
is changing modes.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...p/t-57789.html

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servi ces\pciide
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStor

You might not have the last registry key (iastor) as this is
installed in the registry with the intel raid drivers, the
default windows 7 raid driver uses the iastorV key."

HTH,
Paul
Old June 12th 11, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

In an earlier posting, you said you have two RAID arrays
connected. One of those arrays must be connected to ICH10R, so
the interface must already be in RAID mode.

Yes, it is ok.

Do all of the drives work at the current time ? Is the
system fully configured, or are you still working on it ?
I can't tell, from this thread so far, whether you
are just updating drivers, and all the drives work.
Or, you are in the process of building the system
from scratch, and nothing currently works.

My PC is 3 mounths old and it works enough fine with every driver but
my editing video software gives me some problems.
For that problem I'd like to update "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller"
25-12-2009 v. 1.0.0.1034 but I don't kow what is the right file..
A friend of mine have told me to download the new driver he
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...LUXE/#download
It is the same of my ASUS SABERTOOTH X58.
In your opinion will I have some problem with my RAID0 with it?
Old June 12th 11, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
[...]

The information I put in the previous post, says the "Beta" driver
doesn't support RAID. That is the issue, that not all the drivers
are the same in nature. One driver type supports AHCI, the other
supports RAID and has a RAID console for control and observation.

Marvell does not offer drivers on their web site.

The Asus site has limited driver options for 91xx. The 91xx (for
9128) drivers, are in this set of files.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/sata/

Marvell9123-9120_V1001042_XpVistaWin7.zip 4048 KB 8/25/2010
Marvell9123_V1001030_XpVistaWin7.zip 2233 KB 12/22/2009
Marvell9123_V1001032_XpVistaWin7-Beta.zip 692 KB 12/24/2009
Marvell9128_V1001034_XpVistaWin7.zip 4043 KB 3/26/2010
Marvell91XX_V1001045.zip 3116 KB 11/ 3/2010
Marvell91XX_V1201002_VistaWin7_WHQL.zip 2826 KB 4/ 7/2011 ---

The one marked with the arrow, has the following file in it.

mvs91xx.inf

%mvs91xxDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9128&C C_0106
%mvs91xxDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A8&C C_0101

As far as I know, the "Class Code" or CC value, can distinguish between
a simple disk and a RAID hardware setting. When the BIOS configures the chip,
it may set up the enumeration to indicate one or the other type.
That tells me, that particular driver probably supports more than
one option (AHCI and RAID).

And this text, tells me what it supports.

; *******Localizable Strings*******
Marvell= "Marvell Inc."
Desc_x860= "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller Driver"
mvs91xxDesc= "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller"
mvs91xxrDesc= "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G RAID Controller" ---

That tells me, the driver supports RAID. Before using a driver file,
use your 7ZIP program to unzip the installer. Inspect each .INF file,
and look to see if "RAID" is mentioned. Since Asus does not label
them in a useful fashion, you have to do such identification yourself.

They did not make this easy, either Marvell, or Asus.

There are other sources of copies of Marvell files, such as when
Gigabyte motherboard company sells motherboards with 9128 on it.
So you can expand your driver search, to more sites than just Asus.
Just be careful that the INF mentions "RAID" before doing the update.

If it was my computer, I would back up the C: drive, before
using the installer for the RAID. If something bad happens, you
can restore from backup. When drivers don't have good looking
installer packages, I frighten easily :-)

Paul
Old June 13th 11, 02:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Paul, I have just installed "Marvell91XX_V1201002_VistaWin7_WHQL.zip"
2826 KB 4/ 7/2011 and it seems everithing is ok. Now in My
Computer/Storage Controller I see:
"Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller" v. 1.2.0.1002 07/03/2011
If I open My Compuer I see that every Volume are the same "C", "D"
"E".
Is there the right step to verify if that install is ok?
Thanks a lot for your availability.

Old June 14th 11, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Do you have two RAID drives connected to the Marvell controller
right now ?

Can you tell me how can I check if there are two RAID0 connected to
the Marvell controller right now?
In Storage Controller I have:

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID
Controller v.10.1.0.1008

JMicron JMB36X Controller v.1.17.56.2

Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller v. 1.2.0.1002