Gigabyte 8KNXP/8IK1100 Users: What memory actually works?

Old October 15th 03, 03:18 AM
Aj

Default Gigabyte 8KNXP/8IK1100 Users: What memory actually works?

I just bought a Gigabyte 8IK1100 (aka the stripped down 8KNXP). It
replaces my Gigabyte 8PE667, which died a slow-but-honorable death.

Trouble is - I was hoping to re-use my two identical Crucial PC2700
CL2.5 333mHz 512MB DDR chips with this new dual channel board.

Is that even possible? I've had a devil of a time getting this board
to stabilize at all with this "old" memory. Hours of tinkering at this
point.... lots of crashes at first, barely able to even reload XP.
Slowly, it's stabilizing (Prime95 runs without crashing now, fingers
crossed).

But it's not at all where I want it: I had to ratchet the memory down
to 266 mHz, CAS of 3, DIMM overvolt at +.2, and a bunch of other
reallllly relaxed (read: slow) timings.

Getting right to the point then... Do I just need to buy new memory
now?

If so, which kind works & is SUPER stable with this mb (two 512mb's,
preferrably)? Kingston HyperX? Geil? I need a specific brand &
model #... there seems to be lots of voodoo going on with mb & memory.

Just want this to work. All help much appreciated. Specs are below.

best,
aj
detroit

SPECS
------
2.53 Intel p4 533 fsb processor
Gigabyte 8IK1100 motherboard
Radeon 9100 64MB AGP video card
Antec SmartPower 300W ps
Two Crucial PC2700 CL2.5 333mHz 512MB DDR chips (model
#PC2700U-25330-b1)
Maxtor 80gb drive
Old October 15th 03, 04:36 AM
JDcluster

Kingston Hyper X works with the 8 KNXP in matched pair of 512k ( PC 3500)

8KNXP P4 2.8 C @ 3.02
PNY 256Mb 5600
430 Antec true power
2 x 80 gig Maxtor 740
1 x 120 gig Maxtor 940

JD

. ..

Old October 15th 03, 07:31 AM
Timothy Drouillard

I bought my MB, cpu and ram all at the same time from the same computer
shop. I simply told them I wanted 2gig of ram for the MB.

They filled it with 4 sticks of 512meg DDR400 type memory (generaic brand),
installed the cpu and the ram and bench checked it at the time of the sale
to verify that all was well.

I didn't ask them to do that, they just did it automatically. That way both
the shop and the user know that it worked when it was sold.

I think that's the best way to do it. that way you are assured that what you
are buying actually works.

. ..

Old October 15th 03, 08:38 AM
Udo Kammer

Trouble is - I was hoping to re-use my two identical Crucial PC2700
CL2.5 333mHz 512MB DDR chips with this new dual channel board.

I am using 2 x 512 MB Nanya PC2700 CL3 with no problems.

Udo
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info