XP can't find hard drives to install

Old January 27th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default XP can't find hard drives to install

"andy" wrote in message
This is always the case when formatting (have
never bothered to find out why! it is probably
the disk cache area) and as long as the two
drives are the same overall size it will not
affect RAID.

Please to know you are up and running.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote
in message

Andy,
Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not
let the entire thing be partitioned? One drive
is 80 G but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated
so the drives are different sizes. I wonder if
this will stop a mirror drive from working. I
guess it has to do with something I did with
Drive Image or Partition Magic.

"andy" wrote in
message
I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
family try this page for the drivers...

http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm

Under RAID driver see the first download
(unless you are running XP 64bit then it will
be the last in that section). Load it onto a
floppy and hit F6 when prompted early in the
setup.

"AKA gray asphalt"
wrote in message

Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

I erased the partition that was taking up all but
8 megs of the hard drive and partitioned the 8
megs and then resized it to the entire hard drive
size and the 8 meg unused space was gone. I did
this because XP and Partition Magic gave error
messages when trying to format the larger area.
The whole drive partioned and formatted fine after
the above.

Andy, there is some kind of message about a
partition being beyond the boundary or inside of a
boundary that might make in unbootable. I think
the boundary is about 8 megs. Have you ever run
across that?

Old January 31st 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote in message

Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

I erased the partition that was taking up all
but 8 megs of the hard drive and partitioned
the 8 megs and then resized it to the entire
hard drive size and the 8 meg unused space was
gone. I did this because XP and Partition Magic
gave error messages when trying to format the
larger area. The whole drive partioned and
formatted fine after the above.

Andy, there is some kind of message about a
partition being beyond the boundary or inside
of a boundary that might make in unbootable. I
think the boundary is about 8 megs. Have you
ever run across that?

I think the cache is supposed to be RAM and some
drives don't have the 8M, unallocated.