DVD - R verses DVD + R Technologies?

Old September 26th 04, 05:37 PM
Leer

Default DVD - R verses DVD + R Technologies?

Greetings,

I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works best
for movies, photos, and data storage.

For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be
best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
this.

Leer

Old September 26th 04, 08:54 PM
Tom Clydesdale

To determine which format is "best" check the requirements of the devices
which will ultimately play the dvds. In my case only -R & -RW will work in
my DVD player.

A second consideration is to determine what manufacturer's blank dvd disks
will work on the specific writer you have. In my case (NEC -on Gateway
710xl) the writer won't even recognize that -R/RW Memorex disks are
inserted. It does work fine with Verbatim. Check the writer manufacturer's
site for clues. In the case of +R/RW disks I didn't have any problems with
Imation disks - luck or engineering who knows?

Good luck

Old September 26th 04, 11:22 PM
Leer

Tom,

Thanks for your comments.

My drive, LITE-ON LDW-851SBK, is a combination drive that supports:
DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW /DVD-ROM /CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM.

So in the DVD mode I was just curious:
If I want to store photos would it be best if I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
R disks?
Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be best to
use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

For data storage I use the CD-RW Sony or TDX storage disks.

Thanks again, Tom.

I am curious and just want to know.

Leer

Old September 26th 04, 11:24 PM
Edward J. Neth

It depends on your hardware. The - format is older and better supported by
consumer players.

If you have a DVD writer, consult its manual - if you don't, a
universal-format writer will let you use any of the + or - (and sometimes
the older DVD-RAM) meda.

+