GeForce 6800, FP1800 and DVI Power Saving Mode

Old February 14th 05, 07:45 AM
Patrick L. Parks

Default GeForce 6800, FP1800 and DVI Power Saving Mode

Guys,

Looking for some serious ideas here.

I have a new Dimension 8400 with XP Pro with SP2 on it. I also have a
PCI Express, 256MB GeForce 6800 video card in the new machine. I
rebuilt the machine and loaded XP with SP2 and downloaded the 66.93
video drivers from Nvidia.

I currently have a Dell 18" UltraSharp Flat Panel attached to this
machine. When my Windows XP goes to turn off my monitor (which is
connected via DVI), I get a box that pops up that says DVI PowerSaving
Mode and the green light goes amber and the monitor goes out. But a few
seconds later, the DVI power saving mode box comes back and goes out and
comes back and goes out. Meanwhile the light is always Amber. After a
couple of minutes and a few dozen of these message pop-ups, the monitor
goes down for good. It will stay in power-down mode until I move the mouse.

I also have a Dimension 4550 with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro on it and this
SAME monitor attached to this machine does NOT do this. The box comes
up once and then goes out for good.

In additon, I also haven't witnessed this problem when the 18" monitor
is attached via an analog cable to my 8400 with GeForce 6800. But who
wants to use analog VGA when you have DVI?

So, anybody with any ideas on how to fix this? I spent nearly 3 hours
on the phone with Dell and they don't have any idea. They aren't
willing to ship me either a monitor or video card because diagnostics
don't show that I have a problem. They even tried to claim at end of
call that this behavior was normal on DVI mode. I got very angry and
demanded a manager, which they said was not possible at this hour. I am
scheduled to get a call back tomorrow. (they better come through or
this PC might be going back)

So, come on gurus. Any idea why a geForce 6800 and an 18" ultra sharp
flat panel cannot negotiate power saving mode on the first few dozen
attempts. Like I said, LIght is always amber, but the light engine
keeps kicking on and lighting up the room when this goes through it's
routine and I cannot imagine this is good for the monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Old February 14th 05, 08:00 AM
Patrick L. Parks

Patrick L. Parks wrote:
[...]

Also, for what it's worth, I went out and downloaded the nvidia drivers
from the Dell website and installed their set of drivers and experienced
the same problem with the DVI POwer Saving Mode when the 18" ultrasharp
was connected via DVI.
Old February 14th 05, 09:51 PM
Patrick L. Parks

Patrick L. Parks wrote:
[...]

According to tech support today, the older FP1800 is likely not going to
work properly because the newer video card is a PCI Express card and the
older machine was AGP.

They claim technology differences in the two cards will result in this
type of flakey behavior.

It's too bad that the tech I talked to last night for over 3 hours
couldn't find any of that information out.

Anyway, anybody ever hear of anything like certain generations of Flat
Panel DVI displays won't work with the newer PCI Express video cards?
Sounded fishy to me, but it doesn't seem to be working, so maybe they
are onto something.
Old February 15th 05, 06:25 AM
Eddie Aftandilian

"Patrick L. Parks" wrote in message

According to tech support today, the older FP1800 is likely not going to
work properly because the newer video card is a PCI Express card and the
older machine was AGP.

They claim technology differences in the two cards will result in this
type of flakey behavior.

It's too bad that the tech I talked to last night for over 3 hours
couldn't find any of that information out.

Anyway, anybody ever hear of anything like certain generations of Flat
Panel DVI displays won't work with the newer PCI Express video cards?
Sounded fishy to me, but it doesn't seem to be working, so maybe they are
onto something.

Something like that *shouldn't* make a difference, since the monitor and the
video card communicate via DVI regardless of the video card slot type. But
for what it's worth, I have an AGP 6800 in a home-built machine connected to
an 1800FP via DVI, and I don't see this problem. I'm using the Nvidia 66.93
drivers like you are.