Finally broke down...

Old January 27th 05, 01:59 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
should be here Thursday morning.

I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap

of
cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card

and
install new drivers?

Thanks.

See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?" posted on
January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious if
the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.

Cory

Old January 27th 05, 06:52 PM
Dave Zass

See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?" posted
on
January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious
if
the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.

Yeah, I saw your thread. One person who got wasn't getting the results they
wanted blamed everyone but themself. Either the card wasn't set up
properly, the drivers were incorrect or corrupted, not enough power,
incorrect or inefficient settings, etc, OR it was just a defective card.
All you did was say that BFG sucked and their card sucked. To each their
own.

My BFG 6800 GT OC just got installed about 1 hr ago. Working like a charm.
I'm still putting it through some basic testing before I really crank 'er
up. I'll keep you posted.

AMD XP 2700+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
1Gb PC2700
BFG 6800 GT OC ( replaced a Gainward GS Ti4800Se 128mb AGP )
NEC Multisync 90 (19" CRT)

My best 3dMark03 score with the Gainward OC'd was 1787, using 66.93
First run at stock with the 6800 GT OC was 10928, using 67.66

3D looks awesome in Far Cry. 1600x1200 with everything maxed and on.
Smooth!
2D looks fine. Perfectly acceptable. No problems at all so far.

Old January 28th 05, 05:44 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
See the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?"

posted
on
January 2nd. Let me know how your BFG Tech card works out, especially at
higher resoltuions and refresh rates with an analog monitor. I'm curious
if
the GT card from BFG are junk too or if it's just the plain 6800's.

Yeah, I saw your thread. One person who got wasn't getting the results

they
wanted blamed everyone but themself. Either the card wasn't set up
properly, the drivers were incorrect or corrupted, not enough power,
incorrect or inefficient settings, etc, OR it was just a defective card.
All you did was say that BFG sucked and their card sucked. To each their
own.

You clearly haven't read too far into that thread. If you did you'd know I
tried two different cards. i tried each card in several different
motherboards, each with a different chipset. I tried with several different
power supplies, and different combinations of power supplies (two of which
are 400+ watts, an Antec and an Enermax) and motherboards. Several different
RAM sticks and configurations on each board. I tried about 15 different
drivers. I even tried a fresh install of windows on one of the systems. I
tried several different monitors. I tried everything that could possibly
have anything to do with the problem, and then a crapload of things that
couldn't have anything to do with it just to rule them out. Sure, I suppose
it's possible I got two defective cards, but that's very unlikely. If that
is the case that I got two defective cards... Well that speaks very lowly
for BFG Tech.

So all I did was say that their 6800 OC card is junk, after trying
everything under the sun to make it work right including exchanging it for
another board. The particular problem I was having is also a known problem
with boards using poor quality analog filters, and I ruled out everything
except a hardware problem specific to the card. Yet you say all I did was
"say that BFG sucked and their card sucked". If that's what you honestly
think, you truly haven't a clue...

Anyhow, Are you suing an analog CRT? If so what resolution and refresh rate
are you using on your desktop? Is the image crystal clear at
1280x1024x32bpp@85Hz? How about 85Hz at 1600x1200? Can you tell a difference
in clarity/sharpness at those high resolutions between 60Hz and 85Hz? I'm
interested to know if the GT cards work well, as if they do it may be a
bargain to get one of those since they are guaranteed to overclock and have
nice heatsink setups on them (I was very impressed with the heatisnk/fan
setup on the 6800 OC).

Cory