MSI 6600GT AGP slower than 9700?

Old January 27th 05, 12:14 AM
Odie

Default MSI 6600GT AGP slower than 9700?

I replaced my Sapphire 9500np--9700 (softmod) with an MSI 6600GT AGP and my
game performance just doesn't feel as fluid (fast) as before so I ran
3dmark01 to compare with my old benches with the 9700.

6600GT = 14,700
9700 = 17,700

Nothing else has been changed with my system configuration:
Barton 3200+
768 DDR400
Abit nForce 2 mobo
WD 160 Gb SATA

Tried the latest official Forceware (66.93?) and beta's (71.40?)

I thought I read in most reviews the 6600GT is as good or better than than a
9700...

Can anyone explain what's up with the slower performance ?

Old January 27th 05, 06:34 AM
Herman Stoffberg

In 3DMark 01 ATI tend to be faster than NVidia due to some of the tests
favouring ATI. Its a well known fact, Google it.

Rather use 3DMark 2003 and 2005. The 6600GT will kick ass in those
benchmarks.

Regards

Old January 27th 05, 07:20 AM
First of One

You did clean out the ATi drivers before making the swap, right?

How's the performance in games?

Old January 27th 05, 07:34 AM
Friendly Guru

"Odie" wrote in message

Can anyone explain what's up with the slower performance ?

Yes, you need a new benchmarking game. the 2001 version is old and busted
for that card, the new version, 2005, is much better!

Also, less glibly, be aware that certain settings can be hidden, and not
where you want them to be. Even with the default settings. You have to go
over each rendering application, or game, and discover, or force each
specific condition you want. For example, Vsync and Texture filtering.

Also, don't discount hardware stuffs, turn your agp to 8x and agp aperture
to 64, blah blah, good luck.

Old January 27th 05, 12:06 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Herman Stoffberg" wrote in message
In 3DMark 01 ATI tend to be faster than NVidia due to some of the tests
favouring ATI. Its a well known fact, Google it.

Rather use 3DMark 2003 and 2005. The 6600GT will kick ass in those
benchmarks.

The new 6 series cards tend to do quite poorly in '01 over the older FX crop
too...but we all know which are the better cards!

Regards

Old January 27th 05, 10:25 PM
Odie

The only benches I had run with my old 9700 were using 3dmark01 so thats
what I used to compare to the 6600GT.

I don't really care about the benchmarking, its the games I find don't run
quite as smooth (fast) as they did before with my 9700. I no longer have the
9700 (I broke it - damn!) so I can't do any newr benchmark comparisons.

I have tweaked a bunch of settings in the bios and now I'm getting close to
16,000 in 3dmark01 - still not quite as fast as the old card but definitely
closer.

The bottom line is I would have thought the 6600GT would spank the 9700 but
instead it seems as if it can barely keep up IN GAMES on my machine....oh
well.

Are any of the modified drivers for nvidia any good? XG?(I was using Omega
drivers with the old 9700 ( I used drivercleaner to remove btw).

Old January 28th 05, 03:56 AM
Augustus

"Odie" wrote in message
I replaced my Sapphire 9500np--9700 (softmod) with an MSI 6600GT AGP and
my game performance just doesn't feel as fluid (fast) as before so I ran
3dmark01 to compare with my old benches with the 9700.

6600GT = 14,700
9700 = 17,700

Nothing else has been changed with my system configuration:
Barton 3200+
768 DDR400
Abit nForce 2 mobo
WD 160 Gb SATA

Tried the latest official Forceware (66.93?) and beta's (71.40?)

I thought I read in most reviews the 6600GT is as good or better than than
a 9700...

Can anyone explain what's up with the slower performance ?

You'll notice a marked increase in favor of the 6600GT at higher resolutions
and fsaa enabled. At plain old 1024x768 on most games they're pretty close.
Try running FarCry or Thief3 at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 with FSAA and
everything maxed. 6600GT will kick the 9700 Pro's butt.