XFX Geforce 6600GT reboots machine

Old January 14th 05, 05:43 AM
Joel Saxton

Default XFX Geforce 6600GT reboots machine

I tried one of their bundled games - EA sports Nascar - and it reboots the
computer every time. It also happens frequently during games of Pirates.
Changing to lower res does not alter this behavior. I downloaded the latest
driver but still no luck. Any ideas? I sent XFX an inquiry and I am waiting
for them to answer.

I run XP Pro with an 8x agp board with 512MB and P4 2.8Ghz

Old January 14th 05, 05:59 AM
anthony

Over heating maybe? try going into bios turn off fast writes and see what
happens....

ink.net...

Old January 14th 05, 08:41 AM
mine

Joel Saxton wrote:
I tried one of their bundled games - EA sports Nascar - and it reboots the
computer every time. It also happens frequently during games of Pirates.
Changing to lower res does not alter this behavior. I downloaded the latest
driver but still no luck. Any ideas? I sent XFX an inquiry and I am waiting
for them to answer.

1) Connect the AGP card to the PSU (at least 350 Watt, I suggest Enermax)
2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
3) Set AGP Aperture Size in the bios at "128MB"
4) Set PCI latency in the bios at "64" (if available)
5) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card to 64

Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/
Old January 14th 05, 08:42 AM
Dan Twining

Sounds very very similar to my problem! - still no solution for me. See post
"Game Loading Rebooting 6600GT", some people have suggestions that may help
you, but going by my experience you'll be lucky.

Old January 14th 05, 08:49 AM
mine

Dan Twining wrote:
Sounds very very similar to my problem! - still no solution for me. See post
"Game Loading Rebooting 6600GT", some people have suggestions that may help
you, but going by my experience you'll be lucky.

Did You try my suggestion without success?

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Old January 14th 05, 09:10 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:43:49 GMT, "Joel Saxton"
wrote:

I tried one of their bundled games - EA sports Nascar - and it reboots the
computer every time. It also happens frequently during games of Pirates.
Changing to lower res does not alter this behavior. I downloaded the latest
driver but still no luck. Any ideas? I sent XFX an inquiry and I am waiting
for them to answer.

I run XP Pro with an 8x agp board with 512MB and P4 2.8Ghz

I had similar problems with a Gigabyte 7N400-L m/b, Hyena 300 watt
power supply, XP3000+, 1Gb Hynix PC3200 RAM, Leadtek FX5700
graphics...

Pirated games or NOT,, will not make a difference to the problem..
Why..??? Because = Graphics is Graphics...

You see,, with my problem,, it started playing Far Cry. The PC started
locking up, then rebooting, then failing to reboot,, over a period of
about 2 weeks... I would simply get ****ed off and shut down and try
again next night.. Of course the same thing would happen again and
again. After a few weeks, or even a month or so of this, I tried
replacing the RAM,, as during one boot up, BIOS failed to detect the
RAM, getting up to only 768 kb of the 1024 kb (1 Gb) of the RAM then
locking up solid. I tried running with only 1 of the 2 sticks of 512
mb of RAM and it worked for about a month, by which time I thought it
"was" the RAM at fault. I eventually took the supposed bad RAM back to
the shop and they replaced it. I never put in the new stick as things
were going great,, THEN,, it happened again = lockup,, reboot,, fail
to boot... I repleced the existing RAM with the new stick and it went
well again,, although I was severely scratching my head by this time
and some 4 months later by now.. I began replacing things left, right
and centre but nothing improved the suituation...

Anyway, this problem was really getting to me "big time" as the PC was
just not reliable, so I bought a laptop to keep my personal files
alive but games on a laptop are one huge "effing" joke, so over the
Xmas period I decided to get this problem sorted out for once and for
all... Time to sit down and "nut it out"... I thought long and hard
about all the symptoms and decided it was either the motherboard or
the power supply,, or,, both... I went out and bought an MSI KT6 Delta
m/b and a 420 watt power supply. In my heart I thougth that maybe,
just maybe the complete source of all the problems was a bad supply of
correct voltage.. This train of thought was boosted by the BIOS
reading, the very last time I tried booting up and I decided to go
into BIOS and check the voltages.. The VCore voltage was lit up in red
as "Failed"... There it was = Confirmation...!!!!

I replaced both m/b and p/s and all is ok again = At Long Last...!!!

I would certainly start by looking at your power supply as being a
great contender for "main cause" of the underlying problem...

Instead of following the "electronics fix-all" handbook and start at
the simplest cause,, I went overboard and took the more costly route
and wound up replacing the very cause at the very end of the costly
exercise...
Old January 14th 05, 09:18 AM
Bruce Tyler

wrote:

[...]

Ohh...!!!

That's right,, I went out and bought a 6600GT and things are just
great now.. I truly think that you need a good power supply for these
cards and DON'T forget to use the extra power plug on the side of the
card - which uses one of those 4 pin plugs similar to the HDD or
CD/DvD drives, with black, red and yellow wires in it...
Old January 23rd 05, 04:40 PM
Dan Twining

I did try what you suggested...and it didn't work. Fortunatly a few days ago
ASROCK released a bios update for my mobo with a "tweek" for 6600GT
cards....this "tweek" actuatly made the thing work!

Thanks for your help everyone