G4Ti4200 again

Old September 15th 04, 07:53 PM
John

Default G4Ti4200 again

MSI G4Ti4200-TD
ASUS A7V266-E
Audiophile 2496

Ok now I'm really p*ssed off....
Clean install, install 61.77 drivers, lastest direct x, and pc locks up
everytime I try anything... iexplorer, 3Dmark....
All the hardware has been fine in the past under win2000 - what might be the
root of the problem?
Any one know if MSI offer any support?

John

Old September 16th 04, 12:14 AM
DaveW

With that older card you really need to be running the 45.23 driver for
stability, as you've discovered.

--
DaveW

Old September 16th 04, 12:35 AM
Dr del

bollox

bin running a jetway G4Ti4200 with the 61.77's since the day they went live
on nvidias site - only probelm ive heard of was with doom 3 - one of me
mates had to go back to 56.72's to cure a texture problem in the lift.

if you have a personal fave set of drivers then by all means recomend em -
but in all the months i've bin reading this ng you keep telling people they
will have problems with every new set of drivers that come out.

this is not my experience or the experience of almost everyone else i know.

dr del

---

Old September 16th 04, 12:51 AM
PRIVATE1964

in running a jetway G4Ti4200 with the 61.77's

I just tried the 61.77's with my 4200. Two things I noticed. I lost 1500
3Dmarks and the point sprites test seems to be messed up. The horse is see
through now and looks strange. Maybe that's a change they made, but I have
never seen it like that with the other drivers.

So I went right back to the 44.03's.
Old September 16th 04, 01:10 AM
Dr del

how did they run with normal day to day tasks and games?

and out of curiosity why go all the way back to 44's?

i admit i never bother to run any 3d benchmarks anymore since both sides
seem to be "cheating", i just load all the games i have and see if there are
any framerate increases or visual differences.

in reponse to the original posters prob i have missed most of the info i
think , what os you runnin? ( if its xp did you re-install the drivers AFTER
sp2 if you installed it?) i ask merely cos i noticed the system was a bit
nuts on mine till i reinstalled em afterwards.

dr del

---

Old September 16th 04, 05:53 AM
PRIVATE1964

how did they run with normal day to day tasks and games?

and out of curiosity why go all the way back to 44's?

i admit i never bother to run any 3d benchmarks anymore since both sides
seem to be "cheating", i just load all the games i have and see if there are
any framerate increases or visual differences.

in reponse to the original posters prob i have missed most of the info i
think , what os you runnin? ( if its xp did you re-install the drivers AFTER
sp2 if you installed it?) i ask merely cos i noticed the system was a bit
nuts on mine till i reinstalled em afterwards.

dr del

The reason I go back to the 44.03's is because that seems to be where I started
to notice losing performance with benchmarks and with games. I also have never
had any trouble using them with any games I own. I do have a lot of games from
flight sims, first person shooters..etc.

The loss in performance might not be a drastic framerate drop in actual
gameplay, but you might notice it in smoothness of the graphics in the game.
It might also mean the difference of being able to run in a higher resolution.
I saw my3Dmark score drop by 1500 points which is a lot. There is no way that
won't be noticable in a game i none form or another.

When DirectX 9 first came out and I installed it I lost around 500 points. I
didn't care way back then thinking it wouldn't be noticable, but when you add
that to the 1500 with newer drivers the loss in performance starts to add up so
it is noticable.
Old September 16th 04, 08:04 AM
John

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
[...]

Even with all the older drivers my pc is locking up on everything*... sure
this is a basic setting somewhere - I can't bench mark anything as everytime
I try to run anything its locks up!

Old September 16th 04, 09:05 AM
Larry L.

This is not correct -- the new drivers ARE designed to work with older
cards. It's true that performance is sometimes lowered in benchmarks, but
it's also true that bugs are fixed. There are issues with TV output, for
example, that were fixed WAY after the 4x.xx drivers. I'm currently using
61.77 drivers on a GF4 Ti4600 and they work fine. I honestly don't know if
the performance is any different from the earlier driver sets, but I do know
that some bugs are now fixed, which to me is more important than benchmark
scores.

The only other information I can offer is that updating graphics card
drivers can "sometimes" be a bit of a black art. It usually works fine to
simply install over the old ones (this has actually the least problematic
install method on my systems for the past couple years) but once in a while
the installation gets munged and there sometimes seems to be no way back.
This is especially true when switching to a completely different card. I
still tend to feel that when switching cards, it may be best to just start
from scratch with an entire new OS install. Driver "eliminators" can
sometimes help, but I've run into situations where a new OS install seemed
to be the only way to get everything FULLY working correctly again. It
depends on numerous factors, but there's a point at which a new install is
easier than chasing down issues.

Larry

Old September 16th 04, 02:58 PM
PRIVATE1964

Even with all the older drivers my pc is locking up on everything*... sure
this is a basic setting somewhere - I can't bench mark anything as everytime
I try to run anything its locks up!

Did you try looking at anything else as being the cause of your problems
instead of the drivers?
Old September 16th 04, 03:05 PM
PRIVATE1964

It's true that performance is sometimes lowered in benchmarks, but
it's also true that bugs are fixed.

I've never had any bugs using the older drivers. I also own quite a lot of
games.

There are issues with TV output, for
example,

If your using that it might be an issue, but I don't and I'm sure a lot of
gamers just use a monitor.

I honestly don't know if
the performance is any different from the earlier driver sets, but I do know

There is a big difference. Noticed in benchmarks and also in actual gameplay
from what I have tested.

I say if you have a specific reason to upgrade then do it. If the system is
stable and your happy with the performance then leave well enough alone.