Apple LCD monitor with 6800 series problems- Won't boot via DVI only & no text mode support for BIOS screens

Old August 17th 04, 12:13 AM
Nick Wild

Default Apple LCD monitor with 6800 series problems- Won't boot via DVI only & no text mode support for BIOS screens

Upgrade gone terribly wrong story and questions:

I recently upgraded my system (running Windows XP OEM with SP2
installed) by swaping out my radeon 9800 for a geforce 6800GT and
replacing my CRT with the new style Apple 23 monitor. I'm having two
major problems that I haven't been able to resolve:

1) My machine will not boot XP unless I have my old monitor plugged
into the VGA port on the 6800GT. If the analog monitor is plugged in
things kick in on the DVI connected Apple monitor but if just the DVI
is connected it will not boot into XP (this is not just the issue with
text mode display see #2). I've tried a number of things based on
reading some other posts with DVI problems. Here is what I've already
tried without any success:

:: Reinstalled latest NVidia reference drivers

:: Nvidia control panel - Triple checked that DVI monitor is set as
primary display

:: Deleted CRT monitor from My Computer-Hardware Settings and
rebooted with it disconnected.

I'm pulling my hair out over this one any help would be greatly
appreciated.

2) The 6800GT will not display any of the bios or text mode boot
screens on the Apple Monitor. I've read other posts discussing this
problem including one that referenced a flash update for the radeon
9700 that resolved the issue. Is there anyway to get a flash update
from Nvidia for this. Has anyone successfully gotten text mode
displays running on a 6800 series card with and Apple monitor?

Thank you very much for any help!

Nick

niSpam is BAD//ck@ho[[unmunge me]]b.com
Old August 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Pinstripe Pat

thats unlucky, I use a 20" Cinema (older type) and it works perfectly, bios
and all

Perhaps now might be a prudent time to sell and upgrade to the new style
ones with the better pixel response and standard DVI input

m...

Old September 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Jim Vorves

Nick

Here's what it sounds like to me:

You need to hook up both monitors, and boot into XP.
Get into your Display Properties and in the Settings tab, right-click on the
greyed-out monitor with the large number 2 on it and choose "Attached". then
check the box on the bottom to "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor.
Then, if you're only going to use the one monitor, make it the primary, by
right-clicking on it in the Settings tab of the Display Settings window and
selecting Primary. Then select Attached on the VGA monitor to detach it.
Making it primary should let you see the text on the way into windows and
boot all the way in with just that one monitor.
I suspect that your machine has been booting up with the DVI connected, but
you weren't able to see it due to the configuration.

Hope this helps.

Jim

m...