Doom3 shadows problem on Geforce 4200Ti

Old August 6th 04, 04:11 PM
Carl Robitaille

Default Doom3 shadows problem on Geforce 4200Ti

I will upgrade my video card when the 6800 GT and Ultra are sold with a
decent low-noise cooling unit. This will surely solve the problem I'm about
to describe. But for now, I have to play Doom 3 on my Geforce 4200 Ti and
I'm curious to see if someone else has that problem and if there is a way
to solve it.

The shadows on curved surfaces are not soft at all. For example, they form
stripes on the faces of the characters. I have some screenshots that show
what it looks like, although it looks a lot worst in the game because these
stripes move constantly has the characters and the lights move.

Look at the shadows on the head and the arms
http://www.carlrobitaille.org/images...shot00003.jpeg

Look at the shadows on the head and the arms
http://www.carlrobitaille.org/images...shot00008.jpeg

Even the red planets looks bad
http://www.carlrobitaille.org/images...shot00010.jpeg

Carl

P.S. I have installed the latests Nvidia drivers
Old August 7th 04, 07:09 AM
@lias

Carl Robitaille wrote:
[...]

A couple of things to do / check:

- Is the game by any chance running in 16 bit colour mode?

- Try reinstalling the drivers again, but using Driver Cleaner or
something similar to clean away old driver remains.

Old August 8th 04, 03:21 AM
Bruin

"Carl Robitaille" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly the same issue with a GF4 ti4200 64 meg Oclocked = to a 4400. Using
the recommended autoexec.cfg at
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm
It helped alot but I still get some of those same lines.

With a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ & a gig of Mushkin 2-2-2 & that autoexec.cfg,
I am getting 48 FPS. I have not yet installed the latest drivers, using
what appear to be 52.16. Guess I am gonna upgrade them.... crossing my
fingers.... I hate installing new Nvidia drivers, 1 time out of 3 I have
problems when I upgrade. =/

Maybe with the new drivers I can raise the res a bit or turn on some
antialiasing.

Old August 8th 04, 06:17 AM
JK

If you are not using an Athlon 64 processor, that might be at least part
of the reason for your disappointment with Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Old August 8th 04, 12:13 PM
Bruin

"Bruin" wrote in message

[...]

New drivers = 55 FPS. Raised res to 1024x768 & high quality & still getting
high 20s FPS & so far is very playable.

Old August 8th 04, 12:21 PM
Bruin

"JK" wrote in message
If you are not using an Athlon 64 processor, that might be at least part
of the reason for your disappointment with Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Who is disappointed? Buying a new MB, RAM & expensive CPU would be kina
silly when all we need is a shiny,
circuitboardsmellinwhenyouopenthestaticbag video card. Gawd I love that
smell. Naw, we are using very old video cards, the XP chips are not
effecting our "quality of play". A new 6800 or 6800gt would be the cat's
ass, the smart investment, ask Anand!

Old August 8th 04, 05:15 PM
JK

A 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra would be good, however itf you have a cpu that
isn't so good for Doom, then it will hold back the video card. An Athlon 64
3000+ and motherboard is only around $250. Many people already have
DDR 400 ram. If they have a P4 and motherboard that aren't that old, they
might also be able to get a decent price for them selling them on EBay,
or they could use them to build a system for someone else who isn't
into demanding games like Doom 3.

Old August 8th 04, 10:56 PM
Bruin

"JK" wrote in message
A 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra would be good, however itf you have a cpu that
isn't so good for Doom, then it will hold back the video card. An Athlon

64
3000+ and motherboard is only around $250. Many people already have
DDR 400 ram. If they have a P4 and motherboard that aren't that old, they
might also be able to get a decent price for them selling them on EBay,
or they could use them to build a system for someone else who isn't
into demanding games like Doom 3.

Good lord man, we are talking 20 FPS maybe! Last I heard, maybe it has
changed, correct me if I'm wrong, you need registered ECC RAM with a 64 bit
processor. Add another $250 to that cost.

This debate is just plain ol silly.... a 6800 GT or ultra would make a
world of difference, a new CPU gives more FPS. A XP chip running at 2ghz
or higher is excellent for Doom 3. Or a P4 running at 2.8 for that matter.

Old August 8th 04, 11:19 PM
JK

Bruin wrote:

"JK" wrote in message
A 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra would be good, however itf you have a cpu that
isn't so good for Doom, then it will hold back the video card. An Athlon

64
3000+ and motherboard is only around $250. Many people already have
DDR 400 ram. If they have a P4 and motherboard that aren't that old, they
might also be able to get a decent price for them selling them on EBay,
or they could use them to build a system for someone else who isn't
into demanding games like Doom 3.

Good lord man, we are talking 20 FPS maybe! Last I heard, maybe it has
changed, correct me if I'm wrong, you need registered ECC RAM with a 64 bit
processor. Add another $250 to that cost.

Registered ECC ram is required for the Opteron, but not for the Athlon 64.

This debate is just plain ol silly.... a 6800 GT or ultra would make a
world of difference, a new CPU gives more FPS. A XP chip running at 2ghz
or higher is excellent for Doom 3. Or a P4 running at 2.8 for that matter.

Not really, especially when one considers an Athlon 64 3500+ or 3800+.
The idea is to buy both the Athlon 64 and the 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra.
An upgrade to an Athlon 64 will speed up all computing, not just games.
It will also allow 64 bit software to be run when it becomes available.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Old August 9th 04, 02:03 AM
Bruin

"JK" wrote in message

Bruin wrote:

"JK" wrote in message
[...]

Anandtech is showing 60 FPS with a 3200+, 55 with a 2500+, HQ, 1280X1024
res....

These FPS are more than acceptable. Getting a new Athlon 64 is a good idea,
but not even close to being necessary. Hell, I can wait for a 64 bit MS OS
before getting a new CPU. Good news that I read here is that I can most
likely keep using my Mushkin RAM when the time comes.