Texture corruption using GF2 MX400 in 2x and w/VIA chipset! :-O

Old July 31st 04, 03:09 AM
Dan_Aykroyd

Default Texture corruption using GF2 MX400 in 2x and w/VIA chipset! :-O

Hi!

As title says; I'm having this problem that's driving me crazy! I have
a DFI mobo with VIA chipset and a GeForce 2 Mx 400, which when I try
to use it in AGP 2x (setting it from the bios), the "accelerated"
stuff don't work anymore.

Let's say; when I run dxdiag and test the ddraw; it shows the
rectangles OK.
When I test the D3D, it shows the cube spinning; but the texture is
corrupted with stripes. The same when testing at Dx7, 8 & 9. And, of
course, games run with a black screen, and maybe showing some strange
textures; which renders them un-playable!

Of course; I tried aperture sizes, formatting, directx (all versions),
WXp, w98, installing the latest hyperion for via chipset drivers,
other versions from nvidia, and even changing d3d options with GeForce
Tweak Utility...

Any idea? It would really be aprecciated; as like I said before; this
is driving me crazy! Needless is to say that it works perfect in AGP
1x... :-O

Thanks in advance.
Old August 1st 04, 01:28 PM
Dan_Aykroyd

Yes... sadly; the BIOS is updated to the latest revision...
Old August 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Dan_Aykroyd

Oh... and by the way; it's an old motherboard... so I won't be seeing
further updates to the BIOS...; I'd have to try something else.
Old August 2nd 04, 09:05 PM
CapFusion

"Dan_Aykroyd" wrote in message
om...
Oh... and by the way; it's an old motherboard... so I won't be seeing
further updates to the BIOS...; I'd have to try something else.

How about the VIA chipset GART driver / patch for your MoBo? Can you try
updating that VIA patch?

CapFusion,...

Old August 3rd 04, 05:40 AM
Dan_Aykroyd

Me again!

From all I have read, I think the problem is the mother not giving
enough voltage to the AGP port when working on 2x... and some people
increased this volt.... but I just can't do it from the BIOS!

Is there any other way?
Old August 3rd 04, 07:12 AM
Biz

"Dan_Aykroyd" wrote in message
om...
Me again!

From all I have read, I think the problem is the mother not giving
enough voltage to the AGP port when working on 2x... and some people
increased this volt.... but I just can't do it from the BIOS!

Is there any other way?

Does the phrase "You cant get water/blood from a stone" mean anything to
you? If the card runs fine at 1X, leave it be, teh gains(or actually lack
of) that you would get by changing to 2X are so miniscule you wouldnt notice
except by some obscure benchmark...

There are literally hundreds of gfx card sites that show that AGP speed
makes almost no perceivable differnce in system performance. Especially
that far down the food chain in video cards

Old August 3rd 04, 05:50 PM
CapFusion

"Dan_Aykroyd" wrote in message
om...
Me again!

From all I have read, I think the problem is the mother not giving
enough voltage to the AGP port when working on 2x... and some people
increased this volt.... but I just can't do it from the BIOS!

Is there any other way?

Depending on your mainboard. Older MoBo will have jumper to change it
voltage and new generation can change from the BIOS and jumper.

As Biz indicated.... There no point of changing to 2X from 1X as there not
much benefit.

CapFusion,...

Old August 4th 04, 11:05 PM
Dan_Aykroyd

Well... mine is a DFI PA33 and has neither jumpers or setting from the
BIOS to adjust this... :-(