Geforce ti4200 128MB versus Geforce FX 5600-256MB

Old April 5th 04, 05:48 PM
PeterV

Default Geforce ti4200 128MB versus Geforce FX 5600-256MB

I am considering upgrading my geforce4 MX 420. Between ti4200-128MB
model and a FX5600-256MB model which would be better to handle games
such as call of duty, far cry, and pandora tommorrow?

Thanks in advance

pvava
Old April 5th 04, 06:26 PM
dino

don't waste your money on the FX5600-256, I had one and got rid of it real
quick...I now have an ATI9600XT after 7 Nvidia cards and couldn't be
happier..personally if all you can afford is either one right now..I would
wait till you can buy something better..the Ti4200 is a good card but you
will not have all the extra eye candy with it that these games have...the
FX5600 will just be a huge disappointment as far as performance goes.

Old April 5th 04, 10:04 PM
Bruce Tyler

On 5 Apr 2004 09:48:10 -0700, (PeterV) wrote:

I am considering upgrading my geforce4 MX 420. Between ti4200-128MB
model and a FX5600-256MB model which would be better to handle games
such as call of duty, far cry, and pandora tommorrow?

Thanks in advance

pvava

If those are the only two you are considering as your update cards
then go for the Ti4200. With the FX5600, just because it has 256mb
video RAM, that means that maybe 128 mbs of it is a waste of time and
space and you are paying for it. Also, forget the DX9 thing as both
cards will run well with DX9, not just the FX card. It's only that the
FX cards can take full advantage of DX9.. Of course, "all" modern
cards will still run with DX9 so it's a non-issue...

I personally was faced with replacing a Ti4200 and tried an FX5600.
Let me tell you,, I was mighty disappointed with the results. The
FX5600 just didn't perform in comparison with the Ti4200.. Oh, it
looked mighty awesome but once you tried to use it, it simply folded
under pressure.. I couldn't believe just how easily it framed out in
games like Black Hawk Down, Vietcong etc - much, much worse than the
Ti4200. If you do chose a Ti4200, make sure you do get a 128mb model
and try to choose from good brand names like Leadtek, MSI, etc as this
will ensure you do get good reliable performance...

I ended up by going to an FX5700 card.. Now I "can" notice a
difference. Not as much as I hoped for but certainly a difference. It
cost about a quarter more than either a Ti4200 or an FX5600 would but
it's a worthwhile upgrade in terms of noticable difference... Of
course, for you, coming from an MX-420, you will notice a difference
in a Ti4200 but you may find that an FX5600 would be only equal to
your MX-420 but may only look a bit better... This may not be a hard
and fast rule of thumb as results may differ from brand to brand but I
believe it may be fairly representative of typical results...
Old April 7th 04, 06:02 AM
t thome

"PeterV" wrote in message
om...
I am considering upgrading my geforce4 MX 420. Between ti4200-128MB
model and a FX5600-256MB model which would be better to handle games
such as call of duty, far cry, and pandora tommorrow?

If you had to choose between these two cards at or about the same price,
take the FX5600-256MB. It offers PS2.0 support which the ti4200 doesn't
have, and the overall performance of the cards is roughly equal on DX8 and
older games.

There are better choices though, the FX5700 and ATi 9600 families are both
good, and they outperform the ti4200 and FX5600 in every aspect... chip in a
bit more and the 5900's and 9800Pro are also good at a price point well
below $250USD.

Tim

Old April 7th 04, 11:29 AM
Dark Avenger

"t thome" wrote in message news:IXLcc.3921$A43.228@fed1read07...
"PeterV" wrote in message
om...
I am considering upgrading my geforce4 MX 420. Between ti4200-128MB
model and a FX5600-256MB model which would be better to handle games
such as call of duty, far cry, and pandora tommorrow?

If you had to choose between these two cards at or about the same price,
take the FX5600-256MB. It offers PS2.0 support which the ti4200 doesn't
have, and the overall performance of the cards is roughly equal on DX8 and
older games.

There are better choices though, the FX5700 and ATi 9600 families are both
good, and they outperform the ti4200 and FX5600 in every aspect... chip in a
bit more and the 5900's and 9800Pro are also good at a price point well
below $250USD.

Tim

You haven't seen the benchmarks haven't you?

Seemingly not...else you would know the FX5600 is crappy slow in PS2.0
performance. Better have a card that does PS 1.4/1.1 fast and good
then have a card that does PS2.0..very slowly.
Old April 7th 04, 03:46 PM
t thome

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"t thome" wrote in message

> [...]
"PeterV" wrote in message
om...
[...]

In PS1.1/1.4 the 5600 is close, agreed that it doesn't perform as well as
the 5700 series or ATi's 9500/9600 series at PS2.0, but it does support
it...

Besides, in the short term, how many games are exclusively PS2.0?

Tim