Strange behavor with different Nvidia drivers on a FX 5900 SE or TX

Old February 23rd 04, 12:56 AM
Rusty Smith

Default Strange behavor with different Nvidia drivers on a FX 5900 SE or TX

Could any one help me to answer some of the following questions?

Which drivers are specifical optimized for the 5900 SE/TX cards?
Why do the different drivers report different free APG memory available
numbers?
On a Evga 5900 SE card for instance the following occurs and is not limited
to Evga cards with this chip set,

45.23 = 66MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits operates correctly),
45.33 = 96MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly),
52.16 = 4MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly),
53.03 = 2MB free APG memory at start up (coolbits does not operate
correctly).

As I have read on many of the Forums (Guru3D, Evga, Leadtek, ect.) that
there are a lot of other individuals that have this situation or something
similar.
What are the different drivers doing to the card which causes it to report
differently?
What Nvidia drivers support the 5900 SE/TX series of cards?
Does Nvidia plan to release driver support for the 5900 SE/TX cards?
Although most of the card manufactures do not support Coolbits is there a
reference BIOS that will correct this?
On most of the cards that the above situation occurs have a reference BIOS
installed, which is not specifically written by the card manufacture (no
manufacture/vender specified, the only specification is for a Device ID of
GF FX 5900).

Device ID GeForce FX 5900
Sub Vender 0000
Sub Vender Device ID 0000
OEM String NVIDA
VESA Vender NVIDIA Corporation
VESA Product Name NV35 Board - p177h-0n
Version 4.35.20.32.00

Is this the correct BIOS to use for this chip set and memory type?

Old February 24th 04, 08:24 PM
Russell Smith

I think that I have figured out what the problem is with the memory changing
sizes with different drivers. When I change the APG aperture size in the
BIOS the avaiable VGA free memory changes. It appears that the card is only
working with 16MB or less of the onboard memory. When I set the APG
aperture to 32MB in the BIOS I can not run a any 3D applications. I get a
"out of video memory error". The card should be able to run some of the 3D
apps with 128 MB on board. The card is using the system memory to function.
I need to talk to a Evga tech and get a RMA number for the card. I will
check with other who have bought similar cards and see if there problem is
the same. Could have to do with a poor reference design by Nvidia.

"william bell" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:56:03 GMT, "Rusty Smith"

wrote:

[...]

They have no one Else are having these problems at all, that included me..

Although most of the card manufactures do not support Coolbits is there a
reference BIOS that will correct this?
On most of the cards that the above situation occurs have a reference

BIOS
installed, which is not specifically written by the card manufacture (no
manufacture/vender specified, the only specification is for a Device ID

of
GF FX 5900).

Device ID GeForce FX 5900
Sub Vender 0000
Sub Vender Device ID 0000
OEM String NVIDA
VESA Vender NVIDIA Corporation
VESA Product Name NV35 Board - p177h-0n
Version 4.35.20.32.00

Is this the correct BIOS to use for this chip set and memory type?

Attached Images