Maximum GPU core temperature on FX5950 ?

Old January 29th 04, 07:15 AM
John Lewis

Default Maximum GPU core temperature on FX5950 ?

For a non-overclocked FX5950 ( 475MHz GPU, 950MHz memory),
I would like to have some recorded measurements of:-

1. peak core temperature in full 3D mode
2. corresponding ambient temperature

as read from the nVidia Temperature Setting window.

So, the Desktop needs to be setup to show the Temperature window,
and then an appropriate 3D game started. The game must be tolerant
of being instantly put in background using Alt-Tab, as the temperature
must be read IMMEDIATELY the Desktop is brought up.
I have noted a 4-5 degree GPU core temperature drop within
2 SECONDS !! --- as expected with a temp-probe within the chip-core.
A case-temp monitor would react far more slowly.

As to suitable test games, Halo is a very good test case. The Far Cry
demo is another. Both are tolerant of Alt-Tab for exit and re-entry,
Use the highest screen resolution/frame-rate that you would normally
exercise. Run the game in full 3D mode for several minutes.

Why am I interested ?

I have been lucky enough to acquire a FX5900/128 which can be
readily overclocked, is verified stable on both benchmarks and
games at 475 GPU, 900 Mem, and seems capable of being pushed further.
However, I note that the peak GPU core temp rapidly rises with clock
speed and @ 475MHz, it peaks at 75 degrees C. I am curious to know
whether this peak core temperature is normal on a FX5950 at default
475MHz GPU clock rate.

Again it is important to record the GPU core temperature immediately
after Alt-Tab to desktop, the game be run at the highest screen
resolution/rate that you would normally use, and that the game
be run in full 3D mode for several minutes.

John Lewis

Old January 29th 04, 05:21 PM
Alan Wright

Mine goes up into the low to mid 50s. Given that the
automatic core slowing theshold is at 140C, I don't
there is much of a cooling issue. My ambient is
in the low 40s, by the way. Also, my card is a
Leadtek, and is not overclocked.

Alan

Old January 29th 04, 08:35 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:21:09 -0700, "Alan Wright" alanatyahoodotcom
wrote:

Mine goes up into the low to mid 50s.

Ummm..... I have two FX5900/128, one using the
excellent reference-style heatsink with massive fan,
the other with dual smaller fans and copper heat-sink.
Testing exactly as per my instructions (and using Halo
or the Far Cry demo) at DEFAULT clocks of 400/850
gives just on 60 degrees C peak worst-case on both
cards, ambient 42 degrees.

Di you carry out the temperature measurement
on your FX5950 exactly as per my instuctions ?
( Unless you are using water-cooling of the video
card, of course -- which should give a very much
lower ambient....). I am very puzzled. I have indeed
got similar meaurements to you after exiting
a 3D game and manually bringing up the temp
gauge, taking about 15-20 seconds. Unfortunately,
it literally only takes one second after removing
the 3D activity to drop the core temp ~ 5 degrees............

BTW, the 140 degree C threshold is a nonsense
limit. Running silicon continuously above 80 degree C
core will shorten the life by roughly a factor of 2
for every extra 10 degress rise. That limit should
have been made user-programmable.

John Lewis

CPU Core Temperature Gaffer General 2 October 20th 04 10:06 AM
A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Changing 'default' FSB speed with Tualatin? ~misfit~ Overclocking 71 August 4th 04 07:26 AM
Has anyone tried the KS 70 water cooling compact rig? edek Overclocking 4 May 28th 04 05:42 PM
MB Temperature on 8KNXP? Eric B. Gigabyte Motherboards 5 February 29th 04 04:21 PM