Need some advice please

Old January 22nd 04, 10:52 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:11:42 GMT, Atreju
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:28:32 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

SNIP

Even the $130 (sometimes $100) off the shelf ATI9600 has 128mb / DX9 /
dual output - just as crappy for playing games as the fx5200.

That's actually the card I've been looking at for replacing this one.
The ATI RADEON 9600.

Let me be clear, the 9600 is a good card - I typoed and left out being
specific to the 9600se. So for about $130~150, you should be able to
pick up a 9600~9600Pro. At CompUSA - I saw a 9600XT for $150 (mail in
rebate). which is a killer deal.

Ok, then for a balanced card somewhere in between, what would you
recommend. When I say I don't need it for games, I mean that its
primary purpose is not going to be for games. But occasionally I will
play a game for a while, and I don't want it to suck.

9600 9600Pro or fx5900xt ($175).

It doesn't have to be the absolute best, like something that can pump
out smooth 3D at 1280X1024 in a shoot-em-up, but I don't want it to be
choppy at medium resolutions.

any of those above will do well.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!