5200FX for a moderate gamer?

Old January 11th 04, 03:32 PM
Darthy

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:23:53 GMT, "LRW"
wrote:

Hi. I NEED to get a new video card...my last one blew out on me and I'm
stuck using an old Voodoo3 right now. I only have $100 to spend. I know for
$50 more I can get a much better card, but I have what I have and that's it.
=/

Save... stick with the Voodoo. $50 buys you 2-3x the speed.

So I was looking at ATI's Radeon 9200, but then I noticed the GeForce
5200FX. Same clock speeds, I think same memory pipelines, same everything it

both are ****.

BUT, I've also read reviews where the Ti4200 actually is a lot faster of a
card than the 5200FX.

Yep.

But, again, I know a lot more games are going to be coming out that are DX9
because of it's easier programibility. Since I can never afford to get a
high-end card, or any card for years at a time, would it be better to get
the 5200 and get better performance from DX9 games or get a 4200 and be a
little faster but not great on future games?

WTF? If the 5200 is SLOWER on todays games, it's be even SLOWER on
tomorrows games. It won't magicly become a race horse. The 5200 is
****. Only people who should by them a
1 - non gamers
2 - people ****ed into buying a PC without an AGP slot.
3 - idiots
4 - People who play little games, need dual output cheap.

Know that my "good" card before the Voodoo was a Radeon 7500...so it's not
like I'm used to going full anti-aliasing and using all the best features
anyway. I'm a moderate gamer. I like to at least be able to play current
games at good frame rates rather than worry about photorealism.
Knowing that, which way should I lean?

And if you really read the reviews, you'd know the 5200/9200 were ****
cards for "current" games.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 11th 04, 03:40 PM
Darthy

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:28:30 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

Nvidia XT cards are not trash. They just are not clocked as high. They are
not like ATI's SE cards that come neutered with pipes disabled or half the
memory bus.

Are you sure youre not DaveW... you're both on Comcast....

Uh... 5600XT = 64bit... maybe 128bit? Talk about a NEUTERED card on a
card with one testicle!

Old January 12th 04, 04:53 PM
DaveL

I was talking about the high end cards. 9800SE is a prime example. What a
waist of a good gpu.

Dave

Old January 12th 04, 04:57 PM
DaveL

The 5900XT has a 4 x 2 pipeline arrangement just like the 5900 has. The
only difference is clocking.

Dave

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"DaveL" wrote in message

Nvidia XT cards are not trash. They just are not clocked as high. They

are
not like ATI's SE cards that come neutered with pipes disabled or half

the
memory bus.

Dave

Mmm, and you wish to claim that the 5900XT has 8 fully working

pipelines.......

It hasn't..so ..it's neutered!

But atleast they didn't castrate the memory bus width!