FX5200 screen freeze problem

Old December 18th 03, 11:49 PM
Steve Leyland

Default FX5200 screen freeze problem

I already have my suspicions about the cause of this problem....
motherboard is an old BX chipset with only AGP 2x support.
running XP, with 384Meg SDRAM on a PIII700.
I have tried two different fx5200 cards in this machine, and even my own
known working GF4Ti4200.
(I am building this machine for a mate; it is a xmas present for his
daughter, so this is a pretty urgent plea for help!)
same result on all three Nvidia cards. boots up fine, windows tasks are no
problem, but throw a game at it and after about a minute, total screen
freeze.
replace the original 4meg AGP card and the same game will run fine
although -very- slowly.
I have of course installed the latest drivers, exchanged memory cards etc,
and it is definitely the graphics card causing the freeze up.

could it be a compatibility issue with the AGP speed? as the system
requirements on the box do state 4x or 8x AGP.
and if so is there any way to cure it, barring a new motherboard or a PCI
graphics card?
TIA for any suggestions.

--
Steve Leyland

Old December 19th 03, 12:34 AM
DaveW

Your motherboard is not designed to run cards designated "8x/4x". Your
motherboard puts out too much voltage to the card for one.

--
DaveW

"Steve Leyland" wrote in
message ...

Old December 19th 03, 01:04 AM
Steve Leyland

DaveW wrote:
: Your motherboard is not designed to run cards designated "8x/4x".
: Your motherboard puts out too much voltage to the card for one.

thanks dave.
I did notice that the heatsink was getting alarmingly warm.
however, a search for a new 2x card from a UK supplier has proven fruitless.
are there any models which -would- work that I could perhaps look for on
ebay before I have to go the PCI card route?
perhaps an old TNT2 would provide better performance than a new PCI card?
my friend's daughter wants to play games on this box, and I have to sort it
before xmas eve!

Old December 19th 03, 07:31 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Hi

Can you adjust the AGP voltage from the mobo's BIOS settings?

Try putting it up by around 0.1 V. It could be that the card's not getting
enough power.

"Steve Leyland" wrote in
message ...

Old December 20th 03, 11:01 AM
Steve Leyland

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
: Hi
:
: Can you adjust the AGP voltage from the mobo's BIOS settings?

the only adjustable AGP parameter in the BIOS is AGP aperture.
I have tried all the options in there from 4 to 256.
:
[...]
::
:: could it be a compatibility issue with the AGP speed? as the system
:: requirements on the box do state 4x or 8x AGP.
:: and if so is there any way to cure it, barring a new motherboard or
:: a PCI graphics card?
:: TIA for any suggestions.
::
:: --