NVIDIA FX5200 128MB

Old December 8th 03, 06:37 AM
Bob Starkey

Default NVIDIA FX5200 128MB

Have just purchased a new Compaq P4 3.20 box with 1Gig RAM which has a
Nvidia Geforce 4 FX5200 with 128MB RAM.

Nvidia 4.4.0.3 drivers are installed. The thing that I am curious about is
that in the Control Panel Add/Remove programs, the following entries exist:
S3 Display
S3 Gamma 2
S3 Info 2
S3 Overlay

It appears that they are S3 Pro Savage (DDR) and Twister Miniport. What are
they and why are they required when Nvidia drivers are installed?

Old December 8th 03, 09:08 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:37:28 GMT, "Bob Starkey"
wrote:

Have just purchased a new Compaq P4 3.20 box with 1Gig RAM which has a
Nvidia Geforce 4 FX5200 with 128MB RAM.

Nvidia 4.4.0.3 drivers are installed. The thing that I am curious about is
that in the Control Panel Add/Remove programs, the following entries exist:
S3 Display
S3 Gamma 2
S3 Info 2
S3 Overlay

It appears that they are S3 Pro Savage (DDR) and Twister Miniport. What are
they and why are they required when Nvidia drivers are installed?

Compaq tends to installed Generic drivers for ALL their systems...
hence, I've SEEN Intel drivers installed with AMD systems...

What do you need a P4 3.2Ghz computer with a GF5-5200 video card for?

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 8th 03, 09:31 AM
Bob Starkey

wrote:

Have just purchased a new Compaq P4 3.20 box with 1Gig RAM which has a
Nvidia Geforce 4 FX5200 with 128MB RAM.

Nvidia 4.4.0.3 drivers are installed. The thing that I am curious about

is
that in the Control Panel Add/Remove programs, the following entries

exist:
S3 Display
S3 Gamma 2
S3 Info 2
S3 Overlay

It appears that they are S3 Pro Savage (DDR) and Twister Miniport. What

are
they and why are they required when Nvidia drivers are installed?

Compaq tends to installed Generic drivers for ALL their systems...
hence, I've SEEN Intel drivers installed with AMD systems...

What do you need a P4 3.2Ghz computer with a GF5-5200 video card for?

The odd games, browsing, music etc.

Old December 9th 03, 06:27 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:31:29 GMT, "Bob Starkey"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

okay... A PC at half the price could do that just as well.

Old December 14th 03, 06:52 PM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:08:55 GMT, Darthy wrote:

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

LOL -
Oh yea, good ol' EGA! -BooYa!-
sigh Those were the bad old days... In many ways simpler days... But still, I
wouldn't want to go back...
OMG! I actually still have a box full of EGA cards! And a couple of EGA monitors! I
actually might still have my original IBM dual display CGA card somewhere... Damn, those
things were huge. They installed them in the old IBM PC Portable (luggable). with the
little 5 inch amber screen - you could plug in a color monitor and get display on BOTH at
the same time!

See... Nview is just reinventing the wheel! IBM did it first way back in 1983!! OMG
that WAS over 20 years ago.... creek

You might remember this tagline:

- REAL programmers use: C:/copy con: myprog.exe

ll
Kanda'

SPAM-KILLER- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandajeatbresnandotnet

You figure it out...
Old December 16th 03, 10:34 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:52:06 GMT, Kanda' Jalen Eirsie
wrote:

LOL -
Oh yea, good ol' EGA! -BooYa!-
sigh Those were the bad old days... In many ways simpler days... But still, I
wouldn't want to go back...
OMG! I actually still have a box full of EGA cards! And a couple of EGA monitors! I

See... Nview is just reinventing the wheel! IBM did it first way back in 1983!! OMG
that WAS over 20 years ago.... creek

You might remember this tagline:

- REAL programmers use: C:/copy con: myprog.exe

ll
Kanda'

1 - I never owned such junk in my life

Commodore Vic20 (3.5K RAM) . Commdore 128 (128K RAM) which used
commands like "LOAD GAME" to load a game off a floppy disk.

Then straight to my Amiga1000 which has 512K Video RAM (and shared it
with system memory) which was a TON back in the 80s.

Old December 18th 03, 02:05 AM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:34:15 GMT, Darthy wrote:

1 - I never owned such junk in my life

Commodore Vic20 (3.5K RAM) . Commdore 128 (128K RAM) which used
commands like "LOAD GAME" to load a game off a floppy disk.

Then straight to my Amiga1000 which has 512K Video RAM (and shared it
with system memory) which was a TON back in the 80s.

Oh no, not another I remember when thread!!!!

TRS80 coco!! then a TI99/4A !! even had the giant 232 box for the floppy drive! At
the time I worked in a factory and MADE floppy disks! Oh boy! Never had it so good!

Old December 18th 03, 09:06 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:05:06 GMT, Kanda' Jalen Eirsie
wrote:

Greetings...

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:34:15 GMT, Darthy wrote:

1 - I never owned such junk in my life

Commodore Vic20 (3.5K RAM) . Commdore 128 (128K RAM) which used
commands like "LOAD GAME" to load a game off a floppy disk.

Then straight to my Amiga1000 which has 512K Video RAM (and shared it
with system memory) which was a TON back in the 80s.

Oh no, not another I remember when thread!!!!

TRS80 coco!! then a TI99/4A !! even had the giant 232 box for the floppy drive! At
the time I worked in a factory and MADE floppy disks! Oh boy! Never had it so good!

Yeah... todays KIDS have it EASY... PUNKS!!

$600 Gets you a 2000Mhz computer with 512mb, 80GB Hard Drive, CD-RW
drive, 56K Modem, 32~64mb video card, USB, mouse, 4 slots, ethernet.

1990:

$2500 bought you an Amiga3000 with 5mb RAM, 25mhz CPU, 1 floppy drive
and a 50Megabyte Hard Drive (Half a ZIP disk or 1/12 a CD-ROM disc!)
It did NOT come with: Modem ($200 external). CD-ROM drive (CDR hahah -
$250) And you paid about $100 per megabyte (vs $100 for 512mb
today!)

$600 = Amiga500 = 7Mhz CPU, 1mb RAM, 1 floppy drive, mouse. (4096
colors, 4 color GUI desktop). Nothing else.

External 880kb Floppy drives were $120~200 each, I bought 2 of these.

$2000 = 286 12Mhz Computer PC with 1mb RAM, EGA graphics (64total
colors), 40~60mb HD, 2 floppy drives. No Sound, No Mouse... pretty
much NO graphics. VGA option was $500 MAX of 256colors in 640x480.

EGA monitors (13inch) were $300, VGA Monitors were $300~600 (14inch)

=============

1985 :

$300 = Commodore 128 computer (2mhz / 128k RAM) No modem or mouse.
$275 = 320k Floppy drive That is bigger than todays notebooks.
$100 = 300kb Modem (Much slower than a 1200Kb or 2400kb modem at
$300~500) compared to todays $20 56,000kb modem heheh.

$1500 = Amiga 7mhz / 256KB RAM/Floppy drive. Much Cheaper than the
$3000 Macintosh+ computer which had 512kb and 9" B&W monitor.

$1200 = 2MB RAM Expander WITH 2MB worth of memory.

I was lucky, I got the 2mb unit USED for $200. Upgraded to a USED 4mb
model with SCSI HD controller with 20mb HD for $250.

Old December 18th 03, 05:28 PM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:06:32 GMT, Darthy wrote:

Yeah... todays KIDS have it EASY... PUNKS!!

The worst thing is that too many of them approach their computers with the same
philosophy of owning a car without knowing how to drive...

Gadzooks - I used to run a huge BBS with 3 lines on a 100 meg HD and that was plenty!!!

I couldn't even duplicate the usefulness with my "Modern" machine - In the old days if
the power went off - your machine would simply reboot when it came back on, not so these
days it just stays off.

Have you noticed that as an appliance - the PC has actually LOST functionality in the
last few years? 8 years ago you couldn't buy a pc that didn't come with all the various
telephony stuff - every (brand name) PC was answering machine, telephone, fax, etc...
You can't even find a soundcard/modem these days that can do that anymore... I know,
creative supposedly makes one still, but I've never seen it in stores around here...

Old December 20th 03, 11:23 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:28:16 GMT, Kanda' Jalen Eirsie
wrote:

Greetings...

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:06:32 GMT, Darthy wrote:

Yeah... todays KIDS have it EASY... PUNKS!!

The worst thing is that too many of them approach their computers with the same
philosophy of owning a car without knowing how to drive...

Gadzooks - I used to run a huge BBS with 3 lines on a 100 meg HD and that was plenty!!!

Ah the good ole BBS days... I tried to stay in touch with my buddies
in that world... but the Internet quickly kILLED them all off... I
think there is not even 1/10000 of 1% left in the world. Too limiting
in comparison But man, was that software "techie" - And CNET BBS
software was the best. I was well known among a few circles... I
could say "Im so and so" and I'd get access to some goodies, high
level etc. When I recently installed WindowsXP, *I* finally deleted
bitcom termainal program. snif. PS: My Amiga still has its PRO-COM
software with phone numbers... wonder if they work

Have you noticed that as an appliance - the PC has actually LOST functionality in the
last few years? 8 years ago you couldn't buy a pc that didn't come with all the various
telephony stuff - every (brand name) PC was answering machine, telephone, fax, etc...
You can't even find a soundcard/modem these days that can do that anymore... I know,
creative supposedly makes one still, but I've never seen it in stores around here...

Theres not much need for that... 8 years ago (Windows95 days) was just
when the Internet boom started. Business and people communicated
mostly with VOICE and faxes and paper. With EMAIL and web chat
rooms and intranet, well that kind of stuff dies out. I sold my fax
machine for $10 last year.

Go to Office Max/Deport... how many choices of typewrites are left?
GAG! Do you MISS those things? They sell 2-3 models for $50 or so...
an IBM classic Selectic is still about $300+... why?

Onboard sound such as Nfoce2 kinda helps kills sound-cards.

In my Pentium1 133Mhz POWER USER system (I had 80mb!! When 16 was
considered a bit high) I had 3 HDs (2gb each), CD-R drive ($800 -
ruined 50% of the burns on $10 CD blanks EACH), CD-ROM.

My slots:
1 - video card
1 - Sound card
1 - SCSI card
1 - Modem
1 - Ethernet
1 - Voodoo1 card

In my POWER SYSTEM today, with 5 slots + an AGP slot.
1 - Video card

Thats it.