52.16 driver consider harmful

Old October 28th 03, 08:24 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "i'm_tired"
wrote:

Callas wrote:
Installed 52.16 in an attempt to get AA working for Halo Trial.

LOL. Go read. Cat 3.5 and 3.8 have had their own issues. 3.8 is a big
improvement over earlier Cats but there are people who have systems thet
don't like 3.8 just like there are people who have systems that don't like
52.16 Dets. Why did you need to upgrade your driver, anyway? Was there a
game you couldn't play with whatever driver it was that you were running
before? Was there some system task that could not be accomplished while
using the drivers that came with your card?

Er... games come out that require drive patches and as shown, the
52.xx drivers are A LOT faster than the 4x.xx drivers for fx cards.

*I* had to install the 52.16 drivers to get HALO to work correctly to
display the SNIPER SCOPE... otherwise, it DOES NOT WORK.

But the 52.16 drivers are **** in my book.

1 - UT plays a bit worse, its not as SMOOTH as the previous 30.82
drivers *I* was using before. The 45.xx drivers I tired made some
games CRASH OUT.

2 - The visual look in UT (classic) looks worse than before.

3 - My Windows Desktop NOW has visual glitches after playing a game
such as HALO - requireing a REBOOT to fix. Many screen areas are
garbeled...

52.16 drivers... I'm not impressed. These are supposed to be WHQL
drivers?! Bull ****. Which also PROVES how much **** M$ is full of
when it comes to "Signed" drivers.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 28th 03, 08:27 AM
Darthy

What problems were you having?

I'm getting garbage in IE5.5

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:14:12 +0000 (UTC), "Baron Von Black"
wrote:

" To make the point, my next video card purchase will be from ATI."

Yep great move! I'm still waiting for a good driver........ on my ATI.

I own both so have plenty of experience of naff drivers.

Managed to get 52.16 to work perfect after a little twiddling.

goto

Properties
Settings
Troubleshooting

Now you will see

Hardware Acceleration

Set it to NONE

Now remove to TICK from

Enable Write Combining

Now reboot

Once rebooted set Hardware Acceleration to FULL & Enable Write Combining
back on.

This trick has worked on both my Geforce 4400TI & Geforce 4 MX.

Good luck

---

Old October 28th 03, 08:28 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:26:25 +0100, "Flow" wrote:

In windowsXP it can be needed to first uninstall the drivers and then remove
the hardware in system manager.

Windows is still not as smooth as it should be

That's because M$ Windows is a Piece of **** and never should have
gained 95% of the desktop market.

Old October 28th 03, 10:06 PM
Mr. Grinch

Takes me 15 min to ghost my 2GB Server 2003 system partition, 5 min to
restore it, from another hard drive in my system.

Updating drivers can break things, nothing new here. If you'd backed up
first you would have not had to worry about restoring from an old image and
waste time on updates.

I've been using ATI cards too, since the original EGA wonder, and I can
tell you, they have their own share of issues. My last attempt was with an
8500 that simply refused to run in any dual-cpu system due to ATI's poor
drivers. Sure, I may try them again, but only because they are the only
ones that have anything like the all-in-wonder cards, not because I think
their drivers are somehow better. Talk to anyone who's using professional
OpenGL apps, and they have a lot of issues with the consumer vid cards from
both Nvidia and ATI for example.

Callas wrote in
:

wrote:
Many of us have installed the driver without any problems. You did
not mention which operating system you were using so if you are using
Windows XP or Windows ME then try a system restore point prior to the
problem in question. You can initialize a restore point from the safe
mode.

Windows 2000.

After five hours of trying to fix it, I restored from my current
norton ghost image. It took about an hour to do, plus an hour to
bring the installation entirely up to date.

Generally
speaking drivers do not cause this problem but rather a conflict with
a program running in the background is to blame, ( which interfered
with the installation of the driver).

I find this hard to believe. Can you provide a reference to where
this has been proved?

--
Callas