Help with TNT2 Ultra card problem!

Old October 27th 03, 11:58 PM
Jeff Connelly

Default Help with TNT2 Ultra card problem!

Hi, my computer, which has been working very well, has recently started
experiencing random crashes in multiple applications. After checking
viruses, reinstalling Windows, doing a disk scan, etc. I finally noticed
that the little fan on my Diamond Viper V770 has stopped working. Does
anyone have any suggestions for fixing or replacing the fan/heatsink combo?
Please hurry - my computer is MIA! thanks!

Old October 28th 03, 12:02 AM
Me

Heat the card up by using it.
Ease the whole heat sink off.
I used a small flat bladed screwdriver.
Clean the chip.
Replace it with a heatsink of your choice.
See if you can find a 486 heatsink.fan combo maybe.

om...

Old October 28th 03, 12:39 AM
Jeff Connelly

"Me" wrote in message
Heat the card up by using it.
Ease the whole heat sink off.
I used a small flat bladed screwdriver.
Clean the chip.
Replace it with a heatsink of your choice.
See if you can find a 486 heatsink.fan combo maybe.

Thanks for the quick response Me (uh, you). Can I run a new fan off the
video card power lead, or does it have to be from the motherboard? I notice
the video lead has 2 pins, while the mboard leads have 3.

Old October 28th 03, 01:49 AM
phobos

Jeff Connelly wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

Heat the card up by using it.
Ease the whole heat sink off.
I used a small flat bladed screwdriver.
Clean the chip.
Replace it with a heatsink of your choice.
See if you can find a 486 heatsink.fan combo maybe.

Thanks for the quick response Me (uh, you). Can I run a new fan off the
video card power lead, or does it have to be from the motherboard? I notice
the video lead has 2 pins, while the mboard leads have 3.

You can sometimes splice the leads off the old fan into the new one
(just lob off the connector), and then cap the unused wire. You'll only
need red and black. You might want to get a crimping tool and some
sleeves (the smallest you can find) to keep the connections solid and
insulated.

I had the same problem with an old GF2MX of mine, I used the fan off an
old Celeron 433 HSF unit. It was tiny and could just screw right into
the existing heatsink (a little twisted but it fit).

Old October 28th 03, 09:49 AM
HamMan

"Jeff Connelly" wrote in message
om...
Hi, my computer, which has been working very well, has recently started
experiencing random crashes in multiple applications. After checking
viruses, reinstalling Windows, doing a disk scan, etc. I finally noticed
that the little fan on my Diamond Viper V770 has stopped working. Does
anyone have any suggestions for fixing or replacing the fan/heatsink

combo?
Please hurry - my computer is MIA! thanks!

Heres an example;

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dumbass2k3/PA250008.jpg

you can use any fan plugged into any power source on most cards. This ones
plugged into a 4 pin molex near the hard disk

Hamman

Old October 28th 03, 02:24 PM
jeffc

"HamMan" wrote in message

you can use any fan plugged into any power source on most cards. This ones
plugged into a 4 pin molex near the hard disk

OK thanks. How to attach the heat sink to the chip? The last one was glued
on with something....

Old October 28th 03, 03:46 PM
HamMan

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...

"HamMan" wrote in

message

you can use any fan plugged into any power source on most cards. This

ones
plugged into a 4 pin molex near the hard disk

OK thanks. How to attach the heat sink to the chip? The last one was

glued
on with something....

Get some nice thermal epoxy, artic silver bieng the best, if not slighty OTT

I get mine from www.overclockers.co.uk someone will be able to tell you if
youre in the states.

The other plus side to this is that you can clock the card up, this one got
from ~10fps in RTCW:ET to nearly 40.

Hamman

Old October 28th 03, 10:14 PM
jeffc

"Me" wrote in message
Should have mention the fixing of the new heatsink, sorry.

Epoxy is a good way.

I used normal thermal grease on the chip except for the four corners.
I put a spot of super glue on the corners and then put the card on
a flat surface with a heavy book on top of the heatsink for *30 mins.

Stuck on just fine. Still on and still in use in my server. Been over 12
months now.

That is an interesting idea I never thought of! Do you think a couple
strong cable ties wrapped around the heat sink and card would hold it well
enough?

Old October 28th 03, 11:45 PM
Me

Yep.

Just don't tighten them too much and stress the pcb.

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
Should have mention the fixing of the new heatsink, sorry.

Epoxy is a good way.

I used normal thermal grease on the chip except for the four corners.
I put a spot of super glue on the corners and then put the card on
a flat surface with a heavy book on top of the heatsink for *30 mins.

Stuck on just fine. Still on and still in use in my server. Been over 12
months now.

That is an interesting idea I never thought of! Do you think a couple
strong cable ties wrapped around the heat sink and card would hold it well
enough?

CUV-4X problems with Network card and Audio using Windows 98SE LDL Asus Motherboards 9 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound Card Problem cracking noise, SB Live 5.1 Majestic Homebuilt PC's 1 December 24th 03 08:12 AM
Graphic card problem Shep© General 2 November 25th 03 11:16 AM
5900 ultra problem in games- stability Rob Nvidia Videocards 8 July 26th 03 03:39 AM