52.16 Drivers - Catastrophic Error

Old October 24th 03, 08:27 AM
Matt

Default 52.16 Drivers - Catastrophic Error

Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into display
properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I get a
Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Rolled back the drivers and everything is fine again (except Halo runs like
a dog lol).

Whats the best way to install these new drivers? I just d/l and run the
setup... could my method of installation be causing the error?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Old October 24th 03, 08:48 AM
R.V. Gronoff

Matt a écrit:
Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into display
properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I get a
Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Rolled back the drivers and everything is fine again (except Halo runs like
a dog lol).

Whats the best way to install these new drivers?

Just don't.

I just d/l and run the
setup... could my method of installation be causing the error?

As your title says: this driver IS a catastrophic error. :-(

--
Merci d'enlever le-munster-du-frigo pour me répondre par mail.

Old October 24th 03, 09:54 AM
Andreas Epmeier

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into display
properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I get a
Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Rolled back the drivers and everything is fine again (except Halo runs

like
a dog lol).

Whats the best way to install these new drivers? I just d/l and run the
setup... could my method of installation be causing the error?

Thanks in advance

Matt

The drivers work very well with my FX 5800. But I had to uninstall the old
drives before I could install the new ones. Without uninstalling(only
updating to the 52.16), I got a catastrophic error if I try to using the
properties menu of the drivers.
I investigated the problem and figured out, that when I only updated the
drivers the setup mixed up the old and the new ones and didn't work
properly. After unistalling the old ones, for this I used the unistall under
WinXP and Detonator Destroyer, and installing the 52.16 all worked very
well. No errors, no slowdowns and so..

regards,

Andreas

Old October 24th 03, 12:56 PM
Jeremy Dimmick

"Andreas Epmeier" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into display
properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I get a
Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Rolled back the drivers and everything is fine again (except Halo runs

like
a dog lol).

Whats the best way to install these new drivers? I just d/l and run the
setup... could my method of installation be causing the error?

Thanks in advance

Matt

The drivers work very well with my FX 5800. But I had to uninstall the old
drives before I could install the new ones. Without uninstalling(only
updating to the 52.16), I got a catastrophic error if I try to using the
properties menu of the drivers.

I uninstalled the 45.23s before installing the 52.16s using Device Manager,
and this worked without problems on a GF4 Ti4200. I tend to uninstall old
drivers before installing new ones as a general rule, unless specifically
told not to by a readme.txt.
Jeremy

Old October 24th 03, 12:57 PM
Jeremy Dimmick

"Nero" wrote in message
Nvidia don't want to know about it,the blame everything from your graphics
card to your os.

I think that's a profoundly silly comment.
jd

Old October 24th 03, 01:12 PM
Nero

I SAID Nvidia don't want to know about it,they blame everything from
your graphics
card to your os.

fekkin knowall

Old October 24th 03, 01:20 PM
chainbreaker

Matt wrote:
Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into
display properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I
get a Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Drivers are OK on my system with FX5900, except they killed text in the
Hidden and Dangerous interface. If I run it in safe mode the menus are OK,
though. It's no biggie, but anybody have any notion as to what it is in
these drivers that's killed that text when running the game normally?

I honestly can't tell there's much improvement over the 45.23s I was using
before, though--not even in Halo which nVidia touts as being improved so
greatly.

--
chainbreaker

Old October 24th 03, 01:54 PM
Jeremy Dimmick

That technical support is not offered for reference drivers is made very
clear on Nvidia's website if you read the relevant bits; it's a matter for
the card manufacturers and vendors. You should not use reference drivers if
you're not happy with this state of affairs.

Old October 24th 03, 04:20 PM
Andreas Epmeier

"Nero" wrote in message
Nvidia don't want to know about it,the blame everything from your graphics
card to your os.

The ATI-fanboy has spoken his words of wisdom again..

Old October 24th 03, 04:24 PM
Andreas Epmeier

"chainbreaker" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
Just installed the above drivers.. everything ok until I go into
display properties, advanced, and click on GeForce FX 5600 tab when I
get a Catastrophic Error message and a blank tab.

Anyone experienced this before?

Drivers are OK on my system with FX5900, except they killed text in the
Hidden and Dangerous interface. If I run it in safe mode the menus are

OK,
though. It's no biggie, but anybody have any notion as to what it is in
these drivers that's killed that text when running the game normally?

I honestly can't tell there's much improvement over the 45.23s I was using
before, though--not even in Halo which nVidia touts as being improved so
greatly.

--
chainbreaker

What's your setting for AA and Anisotropic filtering?? I have had a similar
problem with an other game, because I've moved the settings from Application
Control to another value. Problem was fixed by setting them back to
application controlled.
Perhaps you should give this a try.

Halo was not very much improved after using the new drivers, but I don't
have had any of the errors and lags others have posted here before.

regards,

Andreas