Palit GF FX5200 128MB DDR TV-out?

Old August 25th 03, 12:26 PM
jF

Default Palit GF FX5200 128MB DDR TV-out?

I bought the 5200 without the fan. It works fine. Yes it gets hot. But
there's no F'n way in hell i'm EVER buying another video card with a
fan on it. If you want to play games, buy an x-box and get a mod-chip

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:17:43 GMT, ras2 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying this card to replace my old 32MB GF2 MX;
it's a good bit cheaper than the other FX5200 brands available
to me (Gainward, Aopen), but there may be a reason for that,
of course. I have the impression that Palit's production
quality is rather on the cheap side.

What I'm mostly wondering about is that it appears to have
passive cooling rather than the fans most other FX5200s
seem to have. Passive cooling would be a definite plus,
but only if it works (when I play games, it's not unusual
for me to play for 24 hours or more at a time, so the cooling
has to be good enough for that).

Has anybody tried this card?

-R.

Old August 25th 03, 09:46 PM
Mario Kadastik

ras2 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying this card to replace my old 32MB GF2 MX;
it's a good bit cheaper than the other FX5200 brands available
to me (Gainward, Aopen), but there may be a reason for that,
of course. I have the impression that Palit's production
quality is rather on the cheap side.

What I'm mostly wondering about is that it appears to have
passive cooling rather than the fans most other FX5200s
seem to have. Passive cooling would be a definite plus,
but only if it works (when I play games, it's not unusual
for me to play for 24 hours or more at a time, so the cooling
has to be good enough for that).

Has anybody tried this card?

-R.

I haven't tried your card, but to me the passive cooling would suggest
an alert immediately. Namely I got an ASUS V9520/Magic which also was
the only card in FX5200 series from asus that had passive cooling and it
was a bit cheaper also. It came out that it had 64 bit DDR memory and
that will reduce your performance of about 30%. I was able to stable
clock it up to even higher than normal FX5200, but the 64bit data path
is the bottleneck.

So I suggest to spend a little more and not be disappointed.

btw the FX5200 should be a lot faster than the GF2MX series of cards
although it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games coming later
(DooM ]|[, HL2 and so on).

Mario