CREATIVE FX5200 OR ATLANTIS RADEON 9100?

Old August 18th 03, 07:46 PM

Default CREATIVE FX5200 OR ATLANTIS RADEON 9100?

I have £90 to spend on a graphics card and I am really only willing
to purchase it from a highstreet store since I if it's faulty I can
just take it straight back. I'm aware that I'm gonna fork out about
£20 more for that privilege so unless you really think that the prices
I quote are completely nutty then please don't tell me about the £20
price differential.

Basically, my Voodoo5 has now become totally useless to me. I used to
use my PC for 3d Studio Max, Midtown Madness, Activision Star Trek
sims and occasionally Flight Sims, GTA etc etc and whereas the older
software worked fine the new software worked but lacked all the
advertised T&L effects. Now it's got to the stage where my graphics
(and my 900mhz AMD @957 - don't tell me about it, when Christmas comes
I'll be getting a new beast) have become too decrepit to handle the
latest releases. Firstly, FS2004 is unusable...although loadable and
jerky. But, the final straw on the camel's back was Enter the Matrix,
which I cannot load at all. (Card must have HW T&L, also device should
be compatible with dx9)

I've had a look on the websites for my highstreet stores and I've got
a shortlist of two cards to choose from (although if you really think
I'd be better off spending my money on another card please feel free
to suggest it).

Atlantis ATI Radeon 9100 (128mb DDR) - £90

Creative GeForce FX5200 (64mb DDR) - £63. I looked for non-Creative as
in my experience they are slower, but no such luck.

Bearing in mind what I want to use the graphics card for, what do you
suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Old August 18th 03, 10:20 PM

OK. I've been looking around a bit more. What do you guys think of the
ATI RADEON 9600 128MB?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:22:03 GMT, "Tod"
wrote:

Ive had better luck using my Sapphire ATI 9100 128MB
then with FX5200 cards.

.. .

Old August 18th 03, 11:52 PM
Mario Kadastik

Isn't it nice asking that in a nVidia newsgroup But as you made the
jump from 9100 to 9600 you might also make the jump from FX5200 to FX5600.

I'm a nVidia fan. Although they might have some problems with some
issues and have been caught with their fingers in the yar, I won't back
away from a company I have used for quite a while just because they were
fooling around to get their scores up. It was most likely someone
needing to show that the FX5800 failure was so tremendously fixed by the
FX5900 and to get their stocks up, but now that they were caught then
most likely they will fix the drivers and you will be able to do what
ever you did before with just 2-3 fps less (i'm not talking about 5900
here . You won't notice the difference.

Hence I'd go for the FX5600 as the detonators have been a lot better
than the ATI drivers in long term and I have a hunch that they will stay
so too.

Mario

wrote:

Ive had better luck using my Sapphire ATI 9100 128MB
then with FX5200 cards.

. ..