5600ultra compared to the 9600/9700

Old August 3rd 03, 04:30 PM
Figurt

Default 5600ultra compared to the 9600/9700

I'm looking at the FX5600 Ultra for £149 (dabs)
or 9600pro sapphire about £140
or 9700 for about £180.
(FX5800 for £230)
I assumed this card is better than the 9600pro, but not better than the
9700. I'm tending towards the 9700...just looking for opinions on 9700 vs
5600 ultra.
then again..everything beats the TNT M64 im currently using haha

Thanks for your input! look forward to reading them replies
Figurt

Old August 3rd 03, 05:17 PM
Granulated

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:30:24 +0100 "Figurt"
meeped :

I'm looking at the FX5600 Ultra for £149 (dabs)
or 9600pro sapphire about £140
or 9700 for about £180.
(FX5800 for £230)
I assumed this card is better than the 9600pro, but not better than the
9700. I'm tending towards the 9700...just looking for opinions on 9700 vs
5600 ultra.
then again..everything beats the TNT M64 im currently using haha

Thanks for your input! look forward to reading them replies
Figurt

benchmarks.............
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...2k-p41280.html
Old August 4th 03, 06:05 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

overall performance would suggest that the 9700 would get you more bang for
the buck... even against FX 5800 Ultras... when you are turning up the
eye-candy settings...

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=55000269

I like thier style of performing reviews.

NuTs

Old August 5th 03, 06:46 AM
Ron Merts

The FX 5600 Ultra will definitely beat the pants off of the 9600Pro card.
It's not going to beat a 9700 Pro but I seriously doubt you will be
disappointed in it's price/performance ratio either. I would probably avoid
the FX 5800 as it's price should be falling fast with the release of the FX
5900 and 5900 Ultra. I would not pay more than $350 (USD) for a FX 5800 or
$400 for a FX 5800 Ultra; particularly since the 5900 can be had for $400
(USD) or less. The 5800 was not a particularly strong performing card;
although it did attempt to utilize several new technologies - and contrary
to public opinion I never found it's oversized fan to be that loud (come on
guys, put those case covers back on, put that tower back under your desk and
turn up the speakers). The 5900 tho is definitely quieter and much more on
the performance level of the Radeon 9800 Pro. There are tests where the
9800 Pro beats the 5900 and others where the 5900 beats the 9800; but at
200+ fps all they really have is bragging rights as no human eye can detect
the difference. The one thing the nVidia cards do have is a history of very
stable drivers; something ATi is still struggling to attain. While ATi's
drivers have gotten better as a whole, they still can be unpredictable. I
spent 30 minutes at the local computer store hearing someone rant about how
great his 9800 Pro was - after it took him 3 hours to get the drivers to
install properly; while his co-worker had the 5900 Ultra installed and
running in less than 10 minutes on the same mobo/memory/hdd configuration.

Ron

Old August 5th 03, 10:29 AM
Figurt

Hey there, may i just thank you all for your input..i dont really want to
leave Nvidia seeming ive used many of their cards and im used to their
stable drivers..but it seems like its the 9700np or 9800np..because i can
get that for about £200... or the FX5600 ultra..which just doesnt cut it..

Thanks once again...