Hardcore gamer is little upset.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:26 AM
Ryan Atici

Default Hardcore gamer is little upset.

The PCI-Express might be the future technology to replace AGP video card
slot in the future. Having said that, PCI-Express doesn't offer any
advantage or improvement at this moment in time over AGP video cards for
now. Maybe six months or a year from now, the new technology will fully take
advantage of the new PCI-Express video card and make the PCI-Express video
cards superior over AGP video cards, but for now, that's not the case.

If you're a hardcore gamer and only want the best of the best performance at
this moment in time from your video card, you will go for an AGP slot video
card. Having said all that, I am disappointed to see that the latest ASUS
motherboard "A8N-SLI Deluxe" named to be a hardcore gamer "motherboard"
doesn't have an AGP video card slot when indeed PCI-Express video card is
not yet as good as an AGP slot video card in performance. I don't get
it...!?!

The question is; don't you think it is way premature to replace AGP video
card slot in a latest ASUS motherboard with PCI-Express when indeed
PCI-Express is not even nearly as good as AGP video cards in performance?

I was gonna build a new computer using the newest and the best components as
available today, but having seen that the latest ASUS motherboard release
(A8N-SLI Deluxe) doesn't support an AGP video card, I am little upset.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:19 AM
Gareee©

"Ryan Atici"

I was gonna build a new computer using the newest and the best components
as available today, but having seen that the latest ASUS motherboard
release (A8N-SLI Deluxe) doesn't support an AGP video card, I am little
upset.

Simple answer: Don't buy asus!

Old December 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
HockeyTownUSA

"Ryan Atici" wrote in message
[...]

Oh boy. I have been through these PCI-Express / AGP wars before. Get ready
for some hot debates.

Personally, I agree with you. I just bought an Athlon 64 machine with 8x AGP
earlier this year, and hope to at least get one video card upgrade in the
future, like say, about a year or so from now. Considering I have an X800 XT
PE that might be a tough performance to follow, but I'm sure it'll be there
in a year. To me, since 99% of the consumer PC's, which of course includes
gamers, have AGP in them right now, that is one hell of a customer base.
Even early adopters like myself won't be so ready to throw out their mobo,
memory, and processor just to get a future video card in PCI-express. I hope
nVidia and ATI see the light, and at least support AGP with their high-end
cards for at least another year or so until PCI-Express becomes more
commonplace.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:40 AM
Andrew

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:26:32 -0500, "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

The PCI-Express might be the future technology to replace AGP video card
slot in the future. Having said that, PCI-Express doesn't offer any
advantage or improvement at this moment in time over AGP video cards for
now.

So how do you do SLI with AGP?
Old December 23rd 04, 06:41 AM
Andrew

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:19:34 -0500, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Simple answer: Don't buy asus!

****, *plonk*.
Old December 23rd 04, 09:40 AM
Stoneskin

Ryan Atici left a note on my windscreen which said:

The question is; don't you think it is way premature to replace AGP video
card slot in a latest ASUS motherboard with PCI-Express when indeed
PCI-Express is not even nearly as good as AGP video cards in performance?

As far as I was aware PCI-E isn't any less performance over AGP.

With regard to that board in particular - that's Asus' SLI board. Don't
expect any SLI motherboard to cater for AGP cards because nVidia's SLI
require PCI-E.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old December 23rd 04, 07:41 PM
BillL

"Stoneskin" wrote in message
t...
Ryan Atici left a note on my windscreen which said:

The question is; don't you think it is way premature to replace AGP video
card slot in a latest ASUS motherboard with PCI-Express when indeed
PCI-Express is not even nearly as good as AGP video cards in performance?

As far as I was aware PCI-E isn't any less performance over AGP.

With regard to that board in particular - that's Asus' SLI board. Don't
expect any SLI motherboard to cater for AGP cards because nVidia's SLI
require PCI-E.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

I guess it depends on future upgarde, if any, options?

At the moment I'm using a 9700 on a nforce2 mobo & XP2800+. In March I aim
to upgrade to a AMD64 s939 mobo why should I not go the PCI-E route (not
necessarily SLI though!)?

On the other paw if I had a current s754 / s939 board with a top of the line
AGP card I probably would hang on for a bit.

BillL

Old December 24th 04, 02:42 AM
Ryan Atici

Simple answer: Don't buy asus!

That's not the solution as all of the motherboard manufacturers are
following the ASUS footsteps.

Old December 24th 04, 02:46 AM
Ryan Atici

As far as I was aware PCI-E isn't any less performance over AGP.

Is that why PCI-Express video cards have to be paired to compete against 1
single high-end AGP video card?

Old December 24th 04, 07:12 AM
Andrew

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:46:03 -0500, "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

As far as I was aware PCI-E isn't any less performance over AGP.

Is that why PCI-Express video cards have to be paired to compete against 1
single high-end AGP video card?

You really haven't a got clue do you. SLI enables much faster
performance than one card alone can do. A single cards performance is
down to the chipset, not the bus.