9700pro...FINALLY pulled the shim (SUCCESS)

Old July 13th 04, 04:50 AM
Heywood

Default 9700pro...FINALLY pulled the shim (SUCCESS)

I guess it was just my chance taking nature because i am really fond
of my Ver 1 ati 9700 pro. It has been thru bios changes and I try
almost every driver that comes out...never had a problem

My oem fan started bitting the dust a few months ago so I got an VGA
SILENCER...worked pretty weLL except for the blasted shim that ATI put
there CAUSING ME TO PUT MORE ARTIC SILVER TO FILL THE GAP (NOT GOOD)

Anyway, I finally got the nerve (since the 98pros have come down so
much.)

I simply heated the card (shim) with a hair dryer, gently pushed a
single edge razor into one corner of the shim (gently since the glue
was now pliable) and all of a sudden, it simply poped off as I was
applying a bit of upwards pressure with the blade. Used some 98%
alcohol to clean up around the core (do not venture onto the green pcb
for the components are fragile. and definately DO NOT pry against it

Anyway, I applied a thin layer of artic silver, put the Silencer back
on and held my breath....ALL WAS FINE. Caution...with the shim gone,
it is VERY important to alternately tweak down the silencer screws
gently so as not to damage the core!

I do not over clock but that 9700 pro was sure a hot puppy and raised
my case temps. With the sliencer now touching the core...case temps
are down about 3-4deg celcius and the exhaust from the Silencer is now
HOT!!! (means it is working better)...not bad. I guess my 9700pro will
do it until the x800 drop in price. I always try to buy 1 technology
back since I am more of a tinkerer than a hard core game player

NOTE THIS PROCEDURE WAS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART AND I HAD MY $200
STANDING BUY JUST IN CASE. THE HAIR DRYER REALLY MADE IT EASIER SINCE
THE GLUE HOLDING THE SHIM BECAME MORE PLIABLE!! PATIENCE PAYS OFF!!!!
Old July 13th 04, 02:44 PM
Ed Forsythe

Congrats Heywood and thanks for the poop
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

Old July 13th 04, 09:40 PM
Neil

Heywood wrote in message

NOTE THIS PROCEDURE WAS NOT FOR THE
FAINT OF HEART AND I HAD MY $200 STANDING
BUY JUST IN CASE. THE HAIR DRYER REALLY
MADE IT EASIER SINCE THE GLUE HOLDING THE
SHIM BECAME MORE PLIABLE!! PATIENCE PAYS OFF!!!!

For the fainter of heart, here's a tip I picked up
somewhere else. Rather than risk damaging your
£120 video card with a razor/knife/whatever, use a
milling cutter or file on the £8 VGA Silencer.
Cut two slots across the pad which lays on the
core which line up with and allow the edges of the
shim to sit down, thereby guaranteeing contact
between the core and the cooler.

A lot less sweat.

Neil

Old July 18th 04, 09:56 PM
Wblane

Too bad you're not overclocking, it would've been interesting to see how far
you could have pushed that 9700 Pro. I'd like to do the same thing w/my 9800
Pro but can't afford it (or rather, can't afford to replace it) :^(

[...]

com!local1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com .POSTED!not