GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR PCI VO

Old May 14th 04, 06:59 PM
Alex Laugharne

Default GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR PCI VO

Is it any good?
I want to buy it - I've only got PCI, and it seems like a bit of a bargain.
any other recommendations or should i snap it up?
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=2W68KK

Cheers
laaarnio

Old May 14th 04, 07:22 PM
Shawk

"Alex Laugharne" wrote in message
Is it any good?
I want to buy it - I've only got PCI, and it seems like a bit of a

bargain.
any other recommendations or should i snap it up?
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=2W68KK

Cheers
laaarnio

Yeah, everyone here in the ATI newsgroup thinks its the bee's knees and
they'd all buy one if they had the chance :-) However you should scroll
down to a thread entitled 'fastest pci ati card?'. This may be helpful.
Shaun

Old May 14th 04, 08:45 PM
Augustus

"Alex Laugharne" wrote in message
Is it any good?
I want to buy it - I've only got PCI, and it seems like a bit of a

bargain.
any other recommendations or should i snap it up?

It's a total piece of **** with 64 bit memory. The only PCI video that's
really decent is the Radeon 9100 PCI. It processes 2 textures per pass and
has 250Mhz core/500Mhz memory. You can get a 9200 PCI card, but it's
inferior to the 9100. Worse yet is 9200SE PCI card. This is on par with that
FX5200 PCI.

Old May 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Alex Laugharne

right. Ill bear that in mind. Ill be honest- its only so i can play half
life 2 - so ill wait til that comes out - cheaper!

cheers
larnio

Old May 15th 04, 11:50 AM
Asestar

From what we can expect so far, non of those pci cards have enough power to
play HL2. Maybe 9100PCI, but that's not certain yet.

Old May 18th 04, 12:10 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 14 May 2004 23:46:57 +0100, "Alex Laugharne"
wrote:

right. Ill bear that in mind. Ill be honest- its only so i can play half
life 2 - so ill wait til that comes out - cheaper!

cheers
larnio

Er... It won't play Half life2 at all. The 5200/9200 cards are
bottom end cards ($60~70) - FarCry which is kind of close to HL2 in
graphics will pull about 30 fps on the ex-$400 ATI9800Pro.

You need a *REAL* computer with PCI-EXPRESS or AGP slot... getting
another crappy Dell ain't going to help you. Let me guess - you have
a Celeron 2.0Ghz system?

Doesn't matter WHAT $60 "cheaper" card you get, HL2 won't play on it.

Old May 18th 04, 02:41 AM
JLC

wrote:

right. Ill bear that in mind. Ill be honest- its only so i can play half
life 2 - so ill wait til that comes out - cheaper!

cheers
larnio

Er... It won't play Half life2 at all. The 5200/9200 cards are
bottom end cards ($60~70) - FarCry which is kind of close to HL2 in
graphics will pull about 30 fps on the ex-$400 ATI9800Pro.

You need a *REAL* computer with PCI-EXPRESS or AGP slot... getting
another crappy Dell ain't going to help you. Let me guess - you have
a Celeron 2.0Ghz system?

Doesn't matter WHAT $60 "cheaper" card you get, HL2 won't play on it.

When I read the OP I was wondering to myself where the heck has this guy
been! All he would have to do is spent 20min reading this NG to deturmine
that a 5200 is crap and the HL2 is going to need a lot better card then that
to run.
I don't usually flame guys, but damn! Do a little research for crying out
loud! JLC

Old May 19th 04, 04:14 AM
Augustus

When I read the OP I was wondering to myself where the heck has this guy
been! All he would have to do is spent 20min reading this NG to deturmine
that a 5200 is crap and the HL2 is going to need a lot better card then

that
to run.
I don't usually flame guys, but damn! Do a little research for crying out
loud! JLC

Hey...try going to the Nvidia n/g and read what some pinhead called Skybuck
Flying posts repeatedly. Claims Halo runs 15 to 30 fps on his PIII 450 and
64bit FX5200.

Old May 19th 04, 06:30 AM
JLC

"Augustus" wrote in message
When I read the OP I was wondering to myself where the heck has this guy
been! All he would have to do is spent 20min reading this NG to

deturmine
that a 5200 is crap and the HL2 is going to need a lot better card then

that
to run.
I don't usually flame guys, but damn! Do a little research for crying

out
loud! JLC

Hey...try going to the Nvidia n/g and read what some pinhead called

Skybuck
Flying posts repeatedly. Claims Halo runs 15 to 30 fps on his PIII 450 and
64bit FX5200.

LOL! He's been smoking something! JLC

Old May 19th 04, 08:41 AM
Asestar

Hey...try going to the Nvidia n/g and read what some pinhead called
Skybuck
Flying posts repeatedly. Claims Halo runs 15 to 30 fps on his PIII 450

and
64bit FX5200.

LOL! He's been smoking something! JLC

Yepp, either that, or he have a Tv card, hooked up to an x-box!! Lol