Knights of the old republic was originally designed on Xbox hardware which has an equivalent Geforce3 TI card I'm told? So since it's optimized for Nvidia hardware I'm guessing that's my problem?

Old January 10th 04, 08:59 PM
Atiupgrade

Default Knights of the old republic was originally designed on Xbox hardware which has an equivalent Geforce3 TI card I'm told? So since it's optimized for Nvidia hardware I'm guessing that's my problem?

Knights of the old republic was originally designed on Xbox hardware
which has an equivalent Geforce3 TI card I'm told? So since it's
optimized for Nvidia hardware I'm guessing that's my problem?

I have a Celeron 900Mhz, 384mb, Win98SE, Direct X9b and a Radeon 9100
64mb 128bit/Geforce2 GTS 32mb

I was playing fine at 10-15fps on Knights of the old republic when I had
my Geforece2 GTS 32mb (Detonator 30.82 drivers ) card in my system (I
know min req are 1ghz but search google and you'll see others with lower
specs than mine playing with Geforce2/3/4 cards at playable rates) ) but
then I switched up to my Radeon 9100 64mb 128bit card (Cat 3.6 drivers
have tried 3.10 but slower) and I was running at like 2-5fps
everywhere!....Is this game just horribly optimized for ATI
hardware?????

KOTOR is the only game I'm seeing that's suffering from the upgrade
rather than benefiting from it. Battlefield 1942, Halo, LOTR Return of
the king, MOrrowind, Jedi Academy, Counter-strike are ALL running MUCH
faster with the 9100...

Knights of the old republic.....WHAD UP?
Old January 10th 04, 09:02 PM
Atiupgrade

In Kotor everything is set to the lowest settings. I even went into the
ATI Control panel and cranked down both D3D and OpeNGL to lowest
settings (wasn't sure which kotor used but figured I’d try both on
lowest) NO DIFFERENCE!!!!

On my Geforce2 GTS 32mb I never went into the NVIDIA Control Panel to
crank down OpenGL or D3D settings just stuck with lowering all KOTOR in
game settings and still 10-15fps (Maybe 8 fps in city scenes but
everywhere else was fine on the Geforec2 GTS).

I think it's definitely an optimizing issue with ATI cards because like
I said my other games are running MUCH faster with the 9100 it's only
KOTOR having issues. Battlefield 1942 I'm able to play at 800x600-32bit
colour with 80% texture settings and high detail for special fx and it's
running VERY smooth. On the Geforce2 GTS I could only run the game at
800x600-32 bit colour 60% Texture settings and medium detail for special
fx and the game was still relatively slow in many areas...Likewise for
Morrowind...the game runs faster and looks much nicer with pixel shaders
and I'm able to play at higher settings with the 9100 than I was with my
older card.

Old January 11th 04, 03:58 AM
trooper

My god man, what resolution are you using? I had to scroll and rearrange my
tabs just to read your silly subject!

Old January 12th 04, 12:32 AM
Matt

"Atiupgrade" wrote in message
Knights of the old republic was originally designed on Xbox hardware
which has an equivalent Geforce3 TI card I'm told? So since it's
optimized for Nvidia hardware I'm guessing that's my problem?

I have a Celeron 900Mhz, 384mb, Win98SE, Direct X9b and a Radeon 9100
64mb 128bit/Geforce2 GTS 32mb

I'm running it at full settings with a 9500 Pro without any major problems,
though my system is a bit faster than yours: AMD 1.4 T-Bird, Win98SE, 784
megs ram, DirectX9b. It will occasionally crash (maybe once every 15 hours)
but I assumed this was because my system is a bit older...