Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program

Old January 3rd 05, 09:15 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

Default Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program

In the past, this old scanner has occasionally complained about its
Twain interface after some scanning but would work again after a warm
computer restart. The lid-detect function always worked, though I
couldn't use it.

Now, suddently, using any image program, including the one supplied
with it (iPhoto Plus 4, I get the flag "Flatbed scanner not ready",
and then, in the case of iPhoto Plus 4, I get "Twain error T009; error
opening twain data source T015; unable to find twain source mgr,
twain.dll -- copy twain.dll from source disk to Windows folder T039".
No dialog window now displays when I open the scanner cover. The
illumination lamp is on.

All the Twain and Twunk files are in place. I did copy over the
twain.dll file from the CD supplied with the scanner. No change. I
then uninstalled iPhoto Plus 4 and manually removed all the twain and
twunk folders and files, and then reinstalled iPhoto Plus 4, which
apparently installs whatever software runs the scanner. I have never
found, on my hard drive, whatever the latter is. No change. Since a
Mustek tech-support page says says the peripheral configuration mode
should be set to EPP, I tried that. No change. The scanner has
previously always been used with this mode set to the D850GB
motherboard's default, "Bi-directional".

Mustek also claims that, given such non-detection of its scanner from
an image program, if Windows in Safe Mode does detect the scanner, the
problem is a software conflict. In may case, the problem persisted in
Safe Mode. Actually, I didn't install any new programs between the
time the scanner worked and when it didn't.

I also tried running the copy of iPhoto Plus 4 that I had in the
contents of my previous HD, which I have existing on my present one.
Same symptoms. (That copy of iPhoto was never installed, just copied,
onto my present HD. The same resulted from a backup HD I shoved into
a module for it on my computer, but only set it as a slave. Same
symptoms.

I stronly doubt that the optical lid detector (LED-phototransistor
sensor) has gone bad. Maybe other hardware in the scanner is bad, but
I suspect some silly software problem. Of course, I loosened and
reseated the parallel cable, to no avail. The line-lug-mounted power
supply for the scanner seems to be at its normal temperature.

What could I further check? What files constitute the scanner-driving
software anyhow? How would I get Mustek -- US or Taiwan -- to solve
this problem on this scanner I bought in 1998? ;-) Hmm. It's still
a good scanner. . .once I replace the double-sided sticky tape holding
its glass down -- with metal clips held by screws, so that the copy
would stay evenly spaced from the scanning piece, even with a heavy
book laid on top of it to keep it flat.

Ray
Old January 3rd 05, 02:42 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

It is sort of hard to follow the two prior messages and understand who
has the problem, but perhaps I can help? I have the same scanner and
have installed it on Win 98 and XP. Which OS are you dealing with?

If all the software loads without a problem, there should have been a
test to see if the scanner was detected. I assume you reached that
point and it was NOT detected? Do you know that the parallel port your
scanner is attached to works? You might want to attach your printer
without the scanner to prove in the port.

If you are using the pass through method (where the scanner is the
first device on the port), I would remove the printer after you
establish the port works, and get your scanner working by itself. In my
case, I had so many problems with the pass through method that I
installed a second parallel port in my computer. That solved a lot of
problems. But first just get the scanner to work with a single port and
no printer attached. Make sure your data cable is attached to the
correct connector on the rear of the scanner and to the working parallel
port on your computer. (Recently I took my scanner to a friends house
to establish if her scanner was bad, and upon re-attaching my scanner
hooked the data cable to the wrong connector on the scanner. I
encountered the same type of problem as you have. Duh!!)

Also check that your PS is getting power when you try to run the
scanner. You could test the output with a DVM. The lamp on the scanner
is controlled by the software if I recall correctly, so I don't believe
it will come on unless the scanner is detected via the parallel port.
Detection is also dependent upon the power reaching the scanner so that
it can respond to the software. C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\WATCH.exe
is the file that should turn on the scanner lamp.

C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\PROGRAMS\IPE.EXE is the file that start
Iphoto4 software. You could go to the individual files and double click
on them to start the sequence.

Write back after you see if your port is good, the software is present,
the data cable is attached properly, and maybe I can help more.
Old January 4th 05, 01:11 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:42:29 GMT, Ken wrote:

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

Please see interleaved below:

It is sort of hard to follow the two prior messages and understand who
has the problem, but perhaps I can help? I have the same scanner and
have installed it on Win 98 and XP. Which OS are you dealing with?

Win98SE

If all the software loads without a problem, there should have been a
test to see if the scanner was detected. I assume you reached that
point and it was NOT detected?

I don't recall its having included that test. I do know that
immediately thereafter, on trying to "Acquire" the scanner, I got the
stated error messages.

Do you know that the parallel port your
scanner is attached to works?

It was working with the scanner the last time I used it -- I think the
day before. I did not try to use it with any other peripheral between
times, or even remove either end of its cable to the scanner.

You might want to attach your printer
without the scanner to prove in the port.

My printer uses USB. I found out some time ago that my printer (HP
5650) won't work right with a parallel bus chained through my scanner.
I don't think it will work right, in the mode I'm using it, with a
dedicated parallel bus. It's hard to believe that my parallel bus
suddenly quit working, when I didn't touch its connections at all.

If you are using the pass through method (where the scanner is the
first device on the port), I would remove the printer after you
establish the port works, and get your scanner working by itself.

I don't have a pass-through hookup. The scanner is on my only
parallel computer I/O and my printer uses USB only.

In my
case, I had so many problems with the pass through method that I
installed a second parallel port in my computer.

My old HP 932c printer USUALLY worked OK with that hookup, but I had
to be told that the reason I couldn't get my new much-faster printer
to work right, in that configuration, was due to that kluge. Luckily,
I had an extra USB port (but a 7-ft cable just barely makes to the
location of my printer.

That solved a lot of
problems. But first just get the scanner to work with a single port and
no printer attached. Make sure your data cable is attached to the
correct connector on the rear of the scanner and to the working parallel
port on your computer.

Yes, I haven't changed either connection since it worked. My computer
has only one parallel I/O connection.

(Recently I took my scanner to a friends house
to establish if her scanner was bad, and upon re-attaching my scanner
hooked the data cable to the wrong connector on the scanner. I
encountered the same type of problem as you have. Duh!!)

Yeah, well, I didn't touch MINE. It went south by itself. ;-)

Also check that your PS is getting power when you try to run the
scanner. You could test the output with a DVM. The lamp on the scanner
is controlled by the software if I recall correctly, so I don't believe
it will come on unless the scanner is detected via the parallel port.

No, no, no! The lamp stays on on this model, whenever its plug is
engaged with a hot power strip. Since this lamp stays lit, power is
at least getting to part of the scanner.

Detection is also dependent upon the power reaching the scanner so that
it can respond to the software. C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\WATCH.exe
is the file that should turn on the scanner lamp.

It can't be for that purpose, because the lamp, as stated above, is
ALWAYS on. Watch.exe is installed at that location [vers. 1.0.0.1,
180K].

C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\PROGRAMS\IPE.EXE is the file that start
Iphoto4 software. You could go to the individual files and double click
on them to start the sequence.

I have done that with Ipe.exe and it brings up iPhoto 4 fine. I just
did that, then clicked 'Start', in that program's main window, and
then 'Scan'. The source window came up properly as it still has done
starting from the Desktop item. Then, instead of clicking 'Acquire'
in that window, I double-clicked Watch.exe in Windows Explorer.
Absolutely nothing happened; I didn't even get any error flags.

Write back after you see if your port is good, the software is present,
the data cable is attached properly, and maybe I can help more.

If YOUR scanner doesn't keep its illumination lamp on at all times
that scanner is plugged into an AC source, you have a different model
than mine, because I was informed by Mustek USA once (when I
complained about the lamp's needless usage [I had to replace it
once.]) that that is how the scanner I have is supposed to work.

If this is a hardware problem on the scanner's circuit board, I
suppose I'm out of luck, unless I run across a junked such board
somewhere. Fat chance. I certainly don't think trouble-shooting at
the board's component level is reasonable. But I think it's a
software problem. (Naturally, I'm a retired hardware type.) I just
wish I understood exactly which software files are involved in
detecting the scanner IN MY EXACT UNIT.

Ray

Old January 4th 05, 03:42 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

Ray,

That is the same OS that I use most of the time and am using now.

If all the software loads without a problem, there should have been a
test to see if the scanner was detected. I assume you reached that
point and it was NOT detected?

I don't recall its having included that test. I do know that
immediately thereafter, on trying to "Acquire" the scanner, I got the
stated error messages.

It might be that the test occurs after it detects your scanner as being
present? It has been a while since I installed the software, but there
is a test during the installation. I thought it asked you if you wanted
to do such a test? It really is a moot point, since detection would
come first anyway.

Do you know that the parallel port your
scanner is attached to works?

It was working with the scanner the last time I used it -- I think the
day before. I did not try to use it with any other peripheral between
times, or even remove either end of its cable to the scanner.

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but often people assume that what worked
yesterday still works today. In trouble shooting you must take nothing
for granted and establish one building block at a time until you reach
only one possibility left. Until it is established that it works on a
printer, it is still a possible cause of your problem.

You might want to attach your printer
without the scanner to prove in the port.

My printer uses USB. I found out some time ago that my printer (HP
5650) won't work right with a parallel bus chained through my scanner.
I don't think it will work right, in the mode I'm using it, with a
dedicated parallel bus. It's hard to believe that my parallel bus
suddenly quit working, when I didn't touch its connections at all.

So much for the pass through option. It is good to know that the
cables have not been moved however. That doesn't mean they are good,
just not connected improperly.

[...]

As suggested above, I would establish the parallel port functioned
properly on some other device. The CMOS settings should of course be
EPP or ECP (bi-directional) and not standard parallel port.

(Recently I took my scanner to a friends house
to establish if her scanner was bad, and upon re-attaching my scanner
hooked the data cable to the wrong connector on the scanner. I
encountered the same type of problem as you have. Duh!!)

Yeah, well, I didn't touch MINE. It went south by itself. ;-)

Also check that your PS is getting power when you try to run the
scanner. You could test the output with a DVM. The lamp on the scanner
is controlled by the software if I recall correctly, so I don't believe
it will come on unless the scanner is detected via the parallel port.

No, no, no! The lamp stays on on this model, whenever its plug is
engaged with a hot power strip. Since this lamp stays lit, power is
at least getting to part of the scanner.

The lamp might come on by default, but it should come on when the
WATCH.exe is executed. When you load the installation software, this
command is installed in your startup list. My guess is the icon for the
scanner is in the bottom right hand corner indicating the scanner scan
software is started. In my computer I stopped the scanner software from
starting and created a batch file to start it only when I want it started.

Seeing the light on would indicate a couple things however: First,
power is getting to the scanner. It might not be the 15 volts that it
is supposed to be, but it PROBABLY is.

Secondly, it does indicate that some of the parallel port works if you
can control it as mentioned below. It might not be working 100%, but
some of it must be working.

Detection is also dependent upon the power reaching the scanner so that
it can respond to the software. C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\WATCH.exe
is the file that should turn on the scanner lamp.

It can't be for that purpose, because the lamp, as stated above, is
ALWAYS on. Watch.exe is installed at that location [vers. 1.0.0.1,
180K].

If your light is on for the scanner, check to see if the scanner icon
is in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Right click on it
and choose EXIT, YES. Did the light go out? Go to the WATCH.EXE file
and double click on the file. Did it come on again?

If so, you can control the light through the software.

C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\PROGRAMS\IPE.EXE is the file that start
Iphoto4 software. You could go to the individual files and double click
on them to start the sequence.

I have done that with Ipe.exe and it brings up iPhoto 4 fine. I just
did that, then clicked 'Start', in that program's main window, and
then 'Scan'. The source window came up properly as it still has done
starting from the Desktop item. Then, instead of clicking 'Acquire'
in that window, I double-clicked Watch.exe in Windows Explorer.
Absolutely nothing happened; I didn't even get any error flags.

If the icon for the scanner is not in the bottom right corner, the
WATCH program did not start. If is there, then start IPE.exe and go to
FILE, ACQUIRE, SELECT SOURCE and your scanner should be listed there.
Is it?

Write back after you see if your port is good, the software is present,
the data cable is attached properly, and maybe I can help more.

If YOUR scanner doesn't keep its illumination lamp on at all times
that scanner is plugged into an AC source, you have a different model
than mine, because I was informed by Mustek USA once (when I
complained about the lamp's needless usage [I had to replace it
once.]) that that is how the scanner I have is supposed to work.

You are right, the light comes on by default. I used the batch file to
control the scanner and only plug in the power when I am about to use
it. The control of the light with WATCH.exe is valid however. Run the
test above and you should be able to turn it on and off.

If this is a hardware problem on the scanner's circuit board, I
suppose I'm out of luck, unless I run across a junked such board
somewhere. Fat chance. I certainly don't think trouble-shooting at
the board's component level is reasonable. But I think it's a
software problem. (Naturally, I'm a retired hardware type.) I just
wish I understood exactly which software files are involved in
detecting the scanner IN MY EXACT UNIT.

Anything is possible, but I would not arrive at that conclusion yet.

Ken

Ray

Old January 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Ken

Ray,

I did a lot of clipping of old text.

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

Ray,

That is the same OS that I use most of the time and am using now.

It might be that the test occurs after it detects your scanner as being
present? It has been a while since I installed the software, but there
is a test during the installation. I thought it asked you if you wanted
to do such a test? It really is a moot point, since detection would
come first anyway.

Do you know that the parallel port your
scanner is attached to works?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but often people assume that what worked
yesterday still works today. In trouble shooting you must take nothing
for granted and establish one building block at a time until you reach
only one possibility left. Until it is established that it works on a
printer, it is still a possible cause of your problem.

True, but I just think the probability of a flipped software bit
somewhere, or a dead electrical component in the scanner, is much more
probably the problem than this is.

You are probably right, but until you establish for sure that the
parallel port works, it remains a POSSIBLE cause of your problem.

You might want to attach your printer
without the scanner to prove in the port.

So much for the pass through option. It is good to know that the
cables have not been moved however. That doesn't mean they are good,
just not connected improperly.

As suggested above, I would establish the parallel port functioned
properly on some other device.

I have no device that can use a parallel bus, other than my present
and past printers. I'd very much like not to disturb my present
printer USB connection and its USB driver, in order to run it on the
parallel-I/O bus; because my memory for tedious stuff is presently not
all that good and I get fed up with fussing with computer problems all
the time.

I understand your reluctance, but unless you run a test on the port you
can't know for sure.

The CMOS settings should of course be
EPP or ECP (bi-directional) and not standard parallel port.

According to my BIOS Setup instructions, there is the choice of:

1. Output Only
2. Bi-directional (default)
3. EPP
4. ECP.

I think that matches what I've seen when accessing this setup. I have
always had my machine in its default mode, and my scanner has always
before worked fine in that mode. (Well, sometimes TWAIN screwed up
and I had to warm-start my computer.) I tried EPP, after the current
problem occurred, but that did not correct the problem, so I set my
BIOS back to the default.

If your CMOS setting is set for default, it should be fine.

The lamp might come on by default,

I'm not sure what you mean by "default" here, but the bottom line on
the lamp is that whenever there is AC power into the power supply at
the scanner's plug, and the scanner power cable is connected to the
scanner, that lamp is ON, perior. It's always been that way, and
Mustek said it's supposed to be that way.

What I mean is even if NO software was loaded the lamp would come on.
Once the software is loaded for the control of the lamp, it should turn
off and on the lamp if you follow the procedure I described using WATCH.EXE.

but it should come on when the
WATCH.exe is executed. When you load the installation software, this
command is installed in your startup list.

Yes, it's there.

My guess is the icon for the
scanner is in the bottom right hand corner

Yes, it's there.

indicating the scanner scan
software is started.

Whatever, but I get the two mentioned flags in sequence.

The flags simply are stating that it did NOT see the scanner at the end
of the cable attached to the parallel port. This could be due to
several reasons, but one of them (power) is not likely since you see the
lamp lit. That would indicate power is reaching the scanner.

Other reasons could be corrupted software, bad parallel port or cable
from the port, or defective logic in the scanner.

In my computer I stopped the scanner software from
starting and created a batch file to start it only when I want it started.

Seeing the light on would indicate a couple things however: First,
power is getting to the scanner. It might not be the 15 volts that it
is supposed to be, but it PROBABLY is.

That's just for the lamp, right?

The power to the scanner is used for both the logic and the lamp.
There is a regulator in the scanner (5 volt I think) that takes the 15
volts and converts it for the logic. The 15 volt input also is used for
the lamp through an oscillator that provides a higher voltage for the
lamp. Even it goes through a regulator, but I think it is a 12 volt one?

The lamp is at its normal
brightness.

I would assume that your input voltage is good, since if it were low
the lamp would probably not light. This does not mean everything is
working on the scanner, but that the input is probably good.

I might be able to find a test point for the power bus
for the electronic circuitry, but I don't know what voltage that's
supposed to be and would hope a problem showing up there would be less
likely than a software problem.

If I were to guess, (and I don't care much for guessing) that is what I
would guess. For what it is worth, you could open up the scanner and
see if you can reach the two regulators. A simple DVM should allow you
to measure their output as they are both three terminal through-hole
components if my memory serves me. I agree however, that you are more
likely to find software or the port to be the problem.

Secondly, it does indicate that some of the parallel port works if you
can control it as mentioned below. It might not be working 100%, but
some of it must be working.

If your light is on for the scanner, check to see if the scanner icon
is in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

It's there.

Now this would seem to indicate that the software loaded properly and
that all the files necessary were OK.

Right click on it
and choose EXIT, YES. Did the light go out?

No.

This is probably due to the fact it cannot see the scanner. It should
have gone out if everything was working.

Go to the WATCH.EXE file
and double click on the file. Did it come on again?

It stayed on.

If so, you can control the light through the software.

So, obviously, I CAN'T do that.

Since you do not want to test the parallel port (and I understand why),
removing ALL the software and reloading it is about all you can do.
Remember to delete the directories created by the current installation
so that no file such as the initialization files remain.

If the icon for the scanner is not in the bottom right corner, the
WATCH program did not start. If is there, then start IPE.exe and go to
FILE, ACQUIRE, SELECT SOURCE and your scanner should be listed there.
Is it?

Yes.

This is a little surprising in that I would have thought there would
have been no scanner listed there. Who knows, it might be placed there
even if it was not detected?

You are right, the light comes on by default. I used the batch file to
control the scanner and only plug in the power when I am about to use
it. The control of the light with WATCH.exe is valid however. Run the
test above and you should be able to turn it on and off.

Well, I can't turn it off. See above.

There is the file: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\mtwm.ini that says:

--------------
[Watch]
LampStatus=1
GreenTime=15
ActiveTime=7352272

[CaseInfo]
NewSetting=0
--------------

That portion of my file reads:

[Watch]
Model=A4S2600_Watch
LampStatus=0
ActiveTime=4923599
GreenTime=20
CoverDriven=1
Timer3=500
ShowStartup=1
HasIcon=1
HasCoverDriven=1
HasStartup=1
HasMustUI=1

[CaseInfo]
SettingSectionName=1200 III EP
DSSectionName=A4S2INFO_600
NewSetting=1
UsePrivateSettingFile=1

Is that a correct setup? If I set 'LamStatus' to '0' and save that,
the lamp still stays on. I have no idea what the other three settings
relate to.

That does not appear to be a complete setting as compared to mine.

Listed below is another significant portion of that file. Notice the
LPT1 setting. My guess you have no such setting?

[A4S2INFO_600]
Language=English
DSLanguage=English
Brand=Mustek
DSName=1200 III EP
UITitle="Mustek 1200 III EP "
ScanSetting=NMLSPD
Version=V1.0
DriverVer=2.02
F/WVersion=None
Interface=EPP/LPT1
TestMode=0
MemBufSize=256
PreScanDpi=36
PreScanWidth=306
PreScanHeight=414
TAPreScanWidth=216
TAPreScanHeight=252
PreScanFile=MSTC0000.BMP
TAPreScanFile=MSTC0001.BMP
X_OptiMaxRes=600
Y_OptiMaxRes=1200
WtimeTick=60
Bbricon=0
BcolorMatch=0
CMTable=A32PCM.INI
SupportResCount=13
SupportRes=72 100 150 200 300 400 600 900 1200 2400 4800 7200 9600
SupportCustomRes=0
CustomRes=72 9600
ResetRes=300
ResetResIndex=4
TextMaxRes=600
TextMaxResIndex=6
SlideInstall=1
MaxBufSize=672768

Anything is possible, but I would not arrive at that conclusion yet.

The problem is probably due to the tsunami. Sick joke, here in CA.US.

Ray

Ken

When I was working as a technician years ago, we used to say we were
about to call in an Indian to dance with feathers and beads when we
could not figure out the solution. Needless to say we did not do that,
but it is a little frustrating to have tried many things and still not
have succeeded. Rest assured, that the answer is there. You just need
to ask the correct question after having eliminated other potential
problems. It is NOT magic!! Look at it as a challenge.

Ken
Old January 6th 05, 09:43 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:

[...]

Well, in its present condition, the lamp stays on no matter what.
When the scanner was working right, the light was always ON as long as
power was applied to the scanner. However, I never tried, at that
time, to see what would happen if I double-clicked Watch.exe.

but it should come on when the
WATCH.exe is executed. When you load the installation software, this
command is installed in your startup list.

Yes, it's there.

My guess is the icon for the
scanner is in the bottom right hand corner

Yes, it's there.

indicating the scanner scan
software is started.

Whatever, but I get the two mentioned flags in sequence.

The flags simply are stating that it did NOT see the scanner at the end
of the cable attached to the parallel port. This could be due to
several reasons, but one of them (power) is not likely since you see the
lamp lit. That would indicate power is reaching the scanner.

The power input at the scanner's main board measures 15 v.

Other reasons could be corrupted software, bad parallel port or cable
from the port, or defective logic in the scanner.

In my computer I stopped the scanner software from
starting and created a batch file to start it only when I want it started.

Seeing the light on would indicate a couple things however: First,
power is getting to the scanner. It might not be the 15 volts that it
is supposed to be, but it PROBABLY is.

That's just for the lamp, right?

The power to the scanner is used for both the logic and the lamp.
There is a regulator in the scanner (5 volt I think) that takes the 15
volts and converts it for the logic. The 15 volt input also is used for
the lamp through an oscillator that provides a higher voltage for the
lamp. Even it goes through a regulator, but I think it is a 12 volt one?

I located two components on the main board that appeared to be power
regulators. I don't know their pinouts, but the only pins that
measured significant voltages other than 15 v showed 3 and 12 v,
respectively.

The lamp is at its normal
brightness.

I would assume that your input voltage is good, since if it were low
the lamp would probably not light. This does not mean everything is
working on the scanner, but that the input is probably good.

See above.

[...]

How would that assure that ALL the files were loaded properly?

[...]

This file, in my case, now reads the same as before, except for a
different value of 'ActiveTime'.

Is that a correct setup? If I set 'LamStatus' to '0' and save that,
the lamp still stays on. I have no idea what the other three settings
relate to.

That does not appear to be a complete setting as compared to mine.

Well, I have no idea how to get there from here. But I guess that
would indicate the problem is not hardware in the scanner. I don't
find any file by that name (with or without its extension) on the CD
for my scanner. Is it somehow generated during installation?

Listed below is another significant portion of that file. Notice the
LPT1 setting. My guess you have no such setting?

Where, in my case? As I mentioned, in my case, my BIOS is set to
"Bidirectional", not EPP.

[...]

I'm not really into challenges anymore. I suppose Mustek, either US
or Taiwan, would really laugh if I asked them how to make one of their
scanners bought in 1998 work. ;-) I couldn't find any answers to my
problem on the Web anywhere.

Incidentally, after Murphy got loose once and a bottle fell off a
shelf above this scanner and broke its glass, I had the glass replaced
at a glass shop, but the double-sided tape that held it didn't work
very well thereafter, particularly when I would place a heavy book
over the copy in order to keep it flat (the carriage even would hang
up); so I improved that flaky method of securing the glass with four
screwed-down metal clips. That totally did the job. I wonder if they
still use sticky tape for this purpose in Taiwan.

Ray

Ken

Old January 6th 05, 10:42 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

Attached is the install log (found in Twain_32\A4s2_600) of my last
installation. I see 2 failures, FWIW.

Ray
Old January 6th 05, 10:50 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:53:26 GMT, Ken wrote:

This $%^*&))*&%$&* newsgroup wouldn't let me attach my last install
log to a post here, calling it a 'binary file'. Maybe it was too
long. It shows 2 failures and a "could not", but I don't know what
they mean. I'll try to stick it herebelow:

Ray

*** Installation Started 1/5/5 21:52 ***
Title: Mustek 1200 III EP V1.5
Source: D:\RUN.EXE
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\S2600.INI
INI Sect: OCR
INI Item: setup
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: INSTALL
INI Val: FAIL
INI Old: OK
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\UNWISE.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\tutorial.exe
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\eng.exe
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\help6l.exe
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_e.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_d.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_f.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_g.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_i.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_s.hlp
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\A4S2600.VXD
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\A4S2600.386
Date/Time: Following file not copied.
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWUNK_16.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWUNK_32.EXE
Date/Time: Following file not copied.
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\FREE_EXE.EXE
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN
Made Dir: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\A4S2_600.DS
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\LOGO0601.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\A4S2_600.IOB
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\PRESCAN.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\Lead52.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\UI.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\WATCH.EXE
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\A4S2_600.IOB
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\MSVCRT40.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\MFC40.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\MFC40.DLL
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system\msvcirt.dll
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN\A4S2_600\MSTC0000.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MSTC0000.BMP
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\moffice.ini
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\MOCR.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\MSVCRT40.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\ImgView.exe
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Inbox.exe
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\LEAD51N.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\MFC40.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\MOffice.try
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\DeIsLog.1
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\mustui.exe
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCANMED.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\English.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\German.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\French.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Italian.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Spanish.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Dutch.hlp
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LD.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LF.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LG.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LI.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LS.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\PANEL_LC.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_lc.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_ld.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_lf.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_lg.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_li.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Mail_ls.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\Maildll.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LD.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LF.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LG.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LI.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LS.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\SCAN_LC.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_D.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_F.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_G.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_I.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_S.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\INBOX_C.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_D.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_F.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_G.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_I.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_S.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice\IMGVEW_C.DLL
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Annot
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Annot\A2363.ant
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Annot\A2647.ant
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\FISH.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\BUTERFLY.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\BALOON.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\SAIL.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\SFC.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\SFX1.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Data\SFX2.JPG
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2647.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2363.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2419.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2322.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2786.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T2824.jpg
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Thumb\T3109.jpg
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPLUS.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPCAP.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPFIND.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPHELP.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPGAMMA.TIF
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPLUS.HLP
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPLUS.INI
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPTW.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\KEYHOOK.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\README.TXT
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IMAGES
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IMAGES\IPGAMMA.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IMAGES\BIRDS.JPG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IMAGES\ORCH256.JPG
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\INSTALL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\INSTALL\IPPLOGO.UBM
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\INSTALL\IPHOTO.UBM
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\GREEN.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\BROWN.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\CYAN.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\FIRE.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\GOLD.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\BLUE.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\MAGENTA.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\PSEUDO.PAL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PALETTES\YELLOW.PAL
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PLUG_IN
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PLUG_IN\ICI.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PLUG_IN\CU.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\PLUG_IN\IPICI.EXE
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\license.txt
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROREAD.REG
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROREAD.EXE
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROCORE.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROGRAF.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROPFS.DLL
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\VIEWLIB.DLL
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\FONTS
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\FONTS\ZD______.PFB
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\FONTS\SY______.PFB
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\FONTS\ZX______.PFB
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\FONTS\ZY______.PFB
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\HELP
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\HELP\HELP_R.PDF
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\HELP\README_R.TXT
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\PLUG_INS
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\ACROREAD\PLUG_INS\WEBLINK.API
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\ACROREAD.INI
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\ACROGRAF.INI
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\ATM.INI
Made Dir: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Manual
File Copy: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Manual\Iphoto_e.pdf
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: BRAND
INI Val: Mustek
INI Old: Mustek
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: VERSION
INI Val: V1.5
INI Old: V1.5
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DSLANGUAGE
INI Val: None
INI Old: None
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: SCANSETTING
INI Val: NMLSPD
INI Old: NMLSPD
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: 06000
INI Val: 600 III EP
INI Old: 600 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: 08000
INI Val: 800 III EP
INI Old: 800 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: 06060
INI Val: 606 III EP
INI Old: 606 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: 12000
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DRIVER
INI Val: A4S2_600.iob
INI Old: A4S2_600.iob
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: WARMUPTICKS
INI Val: 60000
INI Old: 60000
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: LANGUAGE
INI Val: English
INI Old: English
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: DSNAME
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: PACKAGENAME
INI Val: Flatbed Scanner [EPP]
INI Old: Flatbed Scanner [EPP]
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: A4S2INFO_600
INI Item: INSTALL
INI Val: OK
INI Old: FAIL
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: ScanMode
INI Val: 2
INI Old: 2
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: DpiScale
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: ScanRes
INI Val: 300
INI Old: 300
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: ResIndex
INI Val: 4
INI Old: 4
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: PaperSize
INI Val: 3
INI Old: 3
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Frame
INI Val: 0 0 305 414
INI Old: 0 0 305 414
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Brightness
INI Val: 0 0 0 0
INI Old: 0 0 0 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Gamma
INI Val: 14 14 14 10
INI Old: 14 14 14 10
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Contrast
INI Val: 0 0 0 0
INI Old: 0 0 0 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: DeMoire
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: FilterMode
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Slim New UI
INI Item: Language
INI Val: 0
INI Old: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Brand
INI Val: Mustek
INI Old: Mustek
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Model
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Package
INI Val: cover sensor
INI Old: cover sensor
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Ver
INI Val: Ver1.5
INI Old: Ver1.5
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Help
INI Val: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612EP
INI Old: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612EP
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: EasyScan
INI Item: Type
INI Val: ""
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Scanning Desktop
INI Item: Brand
INI Val: Mustek
INI Old: Mustek
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Scanning Desktop
INI Item: Package
INI Val: Scanning Desktop
INI Old: Scanning Desktop
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI
INI Sect: Scanning Desktop
INI Item: Ver
INI Val: V1.5
INI Old: V1.5
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Scanning Desktop
INI Item: Path
INI Val: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice
INI Old: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Msoffice
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Cover Driven
INI Item: Cover Driven
INI Val: Yes
INI Old: Yes
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Cover Driven
INI Item: Method
INI Val: Close2Open
INI Old: Close2Open
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Cover Driven
INI Item: Status
INI Val: Open
INI Old: Open
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Cover Driven
INI Item: Timer3
INI Val: 500
INI Old: 500
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Show Startup Screen
INI Item: Show Startup
INI Val: Yes
INI Old: Yes
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: Model
INI Val: A4S2600
INI Old: A4S2600
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: Path
INI Val: A4S2_600
INI Old: A4S2_600
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: Driver
INI Val: A4S2_600.IOB
INI Old: A4S2_600.IOB
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: DS
INI Val: A4S2_600.DS
INI Old: A4S2_600.DS
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: Info
INI Val: A4S2INFO_600
INI Old: A4S2INFO_600
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\WATCH.INI
INI Sect: Model Information
INI Item: Style
INI Val: 1200 III EP
INI Old: 1200 III EP
INI New: Created INI
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: Watch
INI Item: LampStatus
INI Val: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: Watch
INI Item: GreenTime
INI Val: 15
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\MTWM.INI
INI Sect: CaseInfo
INI Item: NewSetting
INI Val: 0
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\moffice.ini
INI Sect: Language
INI Item: Name
INI Val: English
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\moffice.ini
INI Sect: Scan Setting
INI Item: ImageAp
INI Val: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\msoffice\ipplus\ipplus.exe
INI File: C:\WINDOWS\moffice.ini
INI Sect: Scan Setting
INI Item: FileName
INI Val: Ipplus.exe
Shell Link: C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\Watch.lnk
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: Direct Scan
Icon Cmd: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\watch.exe
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: iPhotoPlus 1.2
Icon Cmd: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus
4\MSCAN\MsOffice\Ipplus\IPPLUS.EXE
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: Tutorial
Icon Cmd: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\tutorial.exe
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: Mustek 1200 III EP Help
Icon Cmd: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\612ep_e.hlp
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: iPhotoPlus 1.2 User Manual
Icon Cmd: C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Acroread\ACROREAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\iPhoto Plus 4\MSCAN\Manual\Iphoto_e.pdf
Icon Group: Mustek 1200IIIEP
Icon Name: Uninstall
Icon Cmd: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\UNWISE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\INSTALL.LOG
Could not Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\A4S2_600\UNWISE.EXE

Old January 6th 05, 10:55 AM
Raymond A. Chamberlin

Please ignore this and refer to a later post that includes the
attachment mentioned here in its body. (Apparently attachments aren't
allowed here.)

Ray

Old January 6th 05, 03:00 PM
Ken

Raymond A. Chamberlin wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:53:26 GMT, Ken wrote:

I did a lot of clipping of old text.

What I mean is even if NO software was loaded the lamp would come on.
Once the software is loaded for the control of the lamp, it should turn
off and on the lamp if you follow the procedure I described using WATCH.EXE.

Well, in its present condition, the lamp stays on no matter what.
When the scanner was working right, the light was always ON as long as
power was applied to the scanner. However, I never tried, at that
time, to see what would happen if I double-clicked Watch.exe.

The reason it stays on presently, is the scanner is not recognized and
therefore the software (watch.exe) is unable to control the lamp. Since
the lamp will come one even if the scanner is not connected to the
computer, it will always be on. Remember, to make the lamp go OFF once
the icon exists in the lower right corner of your screen, you must do
the "Right click on it and choose EXIT, YES" routine. It is NOT working
that way now because the software is unable to see the scanner. The
software is loaded by virtue of the icon being present, and there not
having been an error message saying that a file could not be found
during the loading of that program.

The power input at the scanner's main board measures 15 v.

That is correct for the wall wart.

Other reasons could be corrupted software, bad parallel port or cable

from the port, or defective logic in the scanner.

I located two components on the main board that appeared to be power
regulators. I don't know their pinouts, but the only pins that
measured significant voltages other than 15 v showed 3 and 12 v,
respectively.

One of the outside pins (the left one if I recall correctly, but don't
hold me to this) should be the input voltage. In this case, 15v. The
center pin is Ground. The right terminal is the output voltage, 12v.
You might not be placing your common lead of your DVM to true ground
when you measured the center terminal. Sometimes these circuits do not
use the same ground as your computer uses.

The other regulator should work the same way, but the output should be
+5v. (I think) The marking on the regulators should read something
like 9805 and 9812 indicating the +5 and +12 volt output.

See above.

If I were to guess, (and I don't care much for guessing) that is what I
would guess. For what it is worth, you could open up the scanner and
see if you can reach the two regulators. A simple DVM should allow you
to measure their output as they are both three terminal through-hole
components if my memory serves me.

See above.

I agree however, that you are more
likely to find software or the port to be the problem.

Now this would seem to indicate that the software loaded properly
and that all the files necessary were OK.

How would that assure that ALL the files were loaded properly?

If the software were NOT loaded properly, there should have been an
error message saying that a file was not found or could not load.
Nothing is 100%, but that would be the case most of the time.

[...]

The text I posted is NOT a new file, but part of the one you posted.
mtwm.ini I would think much of that segment is not in your file of the
same name due to the scanner not being detected. I simply pasted it to
show you more was needed in that file besides the segment you cited.

Listed below is another significant portion of that file. Notice the
LPT1 setting. My guess you have no such setting?

Where, in my case? As I mentioned, in my case, my BIOS is set to
"Bidirectional", not EPP.

If your setting in CMOS is bidirectional, that should be FINE.
Different computers have different settings and verbiage. It is just
important that it is able to communicate both ways, and either EPP, ECP
or Bidirectional will do that.

[...]

Hell, they would laugh at you right after you bought the scanner. All
they wanted to do with me is sell me a scanner. Two of the shipments
arrived broken and I had one hell of a time getting it straightened out.
There is NO WAY they will help you with this scanner.

Incidentally, after Murphy got loose once and a bottle fell off a
shelf above this scanner and broke its glass, I had the glass replaced
at a glass shop, but the double-sided tape that held it didn't work
very well thereafter, particularly when I would place a heavy book
over the copy in order to keep it flat (the carriage even would hang
up); so I improved that flaky method of securing the glass with four
screwed-down metal clips. That totally did the job. I wonder if they
still use sticky tape for this purpose in Taiwan.

Ray

I sort of enjoy challenges, since I am retired and have time for them.
Even when I was a tech, I always viewed a problem as a puzzle. It was
like a game, in that the problem was hiding and my job was to find it.
True, there is frustration along the way, but it is also rewarding when
you succeed. You also become a LITTLE smarter in the process.

If I were you, I would first go back to your measurements of the
voltage regulators making sure of their values with respect to the
scanner ground. A good place to pick up ground would be on one of the
electrolytic's negative lead. If they measured properly, I would assume
your scanner was OK. Next since it doesn't sound like you will test the
parallel port, I would COMPLETELY remove the software and load it again
making sure the scanner is powered up while doing so. Be sure to delete
the directories created by the current load of the software, because
removal of software sometimes keeps files such as INI files. That might
screw up your next installation.

Finally, I saw your pasting of the install log in another message, but
the install log is probably of little value and hard to decipher. Try
the re-installation of the software as mentioned above.

Ken

Ken

mustek 1200 III EP M Russon Scanners 2 January 3rd 05 07:37 AM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 10:36 PM
Mustek 1200 CP Problem Stronak Scanners 1 December 27th 03 03:45 PM
Receive faxes on Mustek 1200 UB PLUS? John Whitlow Scanners 2 November 6th 03 08:42 PM
Driver for scanner Mustek 1200 CU Plus under Windows Xp Johnny Rappo Scanners 0 August 5th 03 09:15 PM