USB Case Connections

Old October 24th 03, 12:59 PM
Howard

Default USB Case Connections

I am having some trouble understanding the connections from my Lian Li
front USB ports to the motherboard. However, checking back on a
number of prior posts from this group has been very helpful and pretty
much explains the connections. I would just like to check with you
folks to make absolutely certain I understand one point.

The two ports on the case front each have cable coming from them...one
port has a cable with 4 connectors and one port a cable with 5
connectors. I was originally quite confused as to why the ports would
have different numbers of cables until I came to the conclusion that
these 9 connectors all attach to one Front USB 'Header' on the
motherboard and that the 2 ports in fact are attached in a way that
the motherboard'thinks' is just one port..ie the 2 ports are defined
as one front case USB connector. Is this correct?

Howard
Old October 24th 03, 03:41 PM
John Bissell

Not sure which mobo you are referring to. On my GA-7N400 Pro2, the front USB
connector has a row of 5 pins and a row of 4 pins inside a yellow connector.
The case has two sets of 4 connectors. I just oriented the "power" &
"ground" sections correctly (see the manual) and everything worked fine -
two USB ports operational. Neither the missing pin (on the 4-side) or the
pin opposite it (on the 5-side) is used.

--
John Bissell

om...

Old October 26th 03, 01:54 PM
Matt

On 24 Oct 2003 04:59:54 -0700, (Howard) wrote:

I am having some trouble understanding the connections from my Lian Li
front USB ports to the motherboard. However, checking back on a
number of prior posts from this group has been very helpful and pretty
much explains the connections. I would just like to check with you
folks to make absolutely certain I understand one point.

The two ports on the case front each have cable coming from them...one
port has a cable with 4 connectors and one port a cable with 5
connectors. I was originally quite confused as to why the ports would
have different numbers of cables until I came to the conclusion that
these 9 connectors all attach to one Front USB 'Header' on the
motherboard and that the 2 ports in fact are attached in a way that
the motherboard'thinks' is just one port..ie the 2 ports are defined
as one front case USB connector. Is this correct?

Not really - Each USB port is 4 independent connections, and the most
common order for the 4 is -
+5v, D-, D+, 0v
The extra one in a 5, is usually an additional (chassis) Ground -
though some boards seem to have an overcurrent warning signal ...
this should NOT be connected to an extra ground.

Motherboards lay out the ports in various ways.
1. 2 independent lines of 4 or 5
2. A block of 8 or 10, with the two lines going the same way, or
opposite.
3. There ARE layouts incompatible the common 4/5 way alignment.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
Old October 31st 03, 05:28 PM
Howard

So does that mean that as long as you keep the polarities straight
that it doesn't matter if the USB1 row goes on the USB2 row and vice
versa? I ask this because one of my set of pins is 4 and one is 5 and
based on strictly putting USB1 on the USB 1 row (if I understand it
correctly) I will be stuck with the 4 pin group on the 5 pin row and
vice versa. It all works out nicely if the USB 1 row goes on 2 and
the USB 2 row goes where 1 should be and then the 5 pin grouping is on
the 5 pin row on the motherboard...the extra 5th pin is labeled
'shield'

Howard