Funny noise in my HDD

Old January 11th 04, 08:16 PM
SleeperMan

Default Funny noise in my HDD

Hi group!

I have two of IBM 120GXP model hdd drives (2x60G in RAID 1). I used to have
that famous one from 75 GXP series, died on me twice in six months, then
reseller gave me new series ones. They work about a year now, but one of
them make funny noise now and then. It clicks, then it whistles for about a
seconds, clicks again and all is quiet for hours or days. That whistle is
like grunting in your stomach...

Can anyone tell me what is it and why is doing this for a year and still
works flawlessly?

Old January 11th 04, 11:40 PM
kony

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:16:18 +0100, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

Hi group!

I have two of IBM 120GXP model hdd drives (2x60G in RAID 1). I used to have
that famous one from 75 GXP series, died on me twice in six months, then
reseller gave me new series ones. They work about a year now, but one of
them make funny noise now and then. It clicks, then it whistles for about a
seconds, clicks again and all is quiet for hours or days. That whistle is
like grunting in your stomach...

Can anyone tell me what is it and why is doing this for a year and still
works flawlessly?

it sounds like the bearings are going out, it gets into a certain temp
range and there's wobble so the heads keep resetting to try to read,
but the platters aren't stationary enough. I could be wrong though,
but I'd run the manufacturer's utilities and (regardless of what that
reports), try to get the drive replaced, or at the least not rely on
it for valuable data anymore.
Old January 12th 04, 03:08 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

wrote:

[...]

One problem is that since there are two of them, i don't know which one does
it unless i shut down one of them, but with this i'll break my RAID. But i
guess i'll have to do it sooner or later.
Bloddy IBM - i lost all data twice already - that's why i build RAID1 - to
prevent from doing the same third time...
Funny is that if i run RAID utility, it shows OK, which means that both
HDD's are working OK...

Old January 12th 04, 03:33 PM
Rich @ Ultima Thule

I have the same 120gb drives in 2 PC's, both of them make that noise very
occasionally too. I have run them for about 6 months now making that noise
and had no particular problems with them. I back up the important stuff to a
server with a tape backup but I am just going to leave mine until something
more untoward happens.

Rich

Old January 12th 04, 04:51 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

I have the same 120gb drives in 2 PC's, both of them make that noise
very occasionally too. I have run them for about 6 months now making
that noise and had no particular problems with them. I back up the
important stuff to a server with a tape backup but I am just going to
leave mine until something more untoward happens.

Rich

I finally found someone in service department in my country who has a clue
about it. He told me that this is a sign of dying and i should replace it.
He sounded like he knows this problem - he said that now after that afair
with 75 series about 60% of drives works perfect, other 40% has problems.
What a shame - drives which were so good and famous and look now - 40%
loss...
I'm replacing mine - it has 3 years of warranty and i have it just over a
year now. It seems i will try that "disconnect one of them" method after
all...
You better contact your service department for your driver whilke you have
the warranty.

Maxtor Plus9 SATA drive noise sm25 General 2 October 22nd 03 03:36 AM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
psychological and extra David Taylor General 5 October 3rd 03 07:25 AM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM