A7N8X-X & Win 2k (Issues)

Old August 6th 03, 01:53 AM
Seejay1120

Default A7N8X-X & Win 2k (Issues)

I have issues with this motherboard (latest BIOS, v 1005). Specs:

Win 2k (fully patched)
latest drivers for everything
Nothing overclocked, all standard, temps are nominal for everything

Barton XP 2500
crucial pc2700 ram
Asus V9820 Ti4200 video card
Santa Cruz sound card (latest driver which is supposed to fix gameport
issues with nforce2 chipset)

1. No add on (virtual) serial ports work properly. A PCI modem card which
worked very well on 2 other machines freezes up the computer, a kind of
quiet BSOD-- :P. A USB-serial converter blue screens the machine (works
fine on at least 3 other machines).

2. The gameport is still broken on the Santa Cruz. I dont know if this is
a mobo or santa cruz issue.

3. The BIOS setup has no provision to set UART2 to half-duplex for wireless
operation (documentation states otherwise).

4. Power saving to shut off the monitor works intermittently. (sad really,
with an asus video card and mobo)

Very disappointed with these issues. Otherwise, the board runs fine and is
very very fast.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old August 6th 03, 10:40 AM
Ben Pope

Seejay1120 wrote:
I have issues with this motherboard (latest BIOS, v 1005). Specs:

Win 2k (fully patched)
latest drivers for everything
Nothing overclocked, all standard, temps are nominal for everything

Barton XP 2500
crucial pc2700 ram
Asus V9820 Ti4200 video card
Santa Cruz sound card (latest driver which is supposed to fix gameport
issues with nforce2 chipset)

1. No add on (virtual) serial ports work properly. A PCI modem card
which worked very well on 2 other machines freezes up the computer, a
kind of quiet BSOD-- :P. A USB-serial converter blue screens the
machine (works fine on at least 3 other machines).

So presumably you're using the SP4 drivers for USB2?

2. The gameport is still broken on the Santa Cruz. I dont know if
this is a mobo or santa cruz issue.

Indeed, this is a known problem. You cannot have other game ports active,
just use the onboard gameport.

3. The BIOS setup has no provision to set UART2 to half-duplex for
wireless operation (documentation states otherwise).

Try the Uber BIOS: (I think that option is in there)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.mcclay/

4. Power saving to shut off the monitor works intermittently. (sad
really, with an asus video card and mobo)

Yeah, I think this is a known problem too. Certainly some S3 issues with
power saving.

Ben