will a pci express 2.0 card work in a pci express 1.0 slot ?

Old January 31st 09, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ERIC

Default will a pci express 2.0 card work in a pci express 1.0 slot ?

will a pci express 2.0 card work in a pci express 1.0 slot ?

Old February 1st 09, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

ERIC wrote:
will a pci express 2.0 card work in a pci express 1.0 slot ?

Yes.

The only exception I'm aware of, was some early problems with 8800 GT.
That was resolved with those cards having their onboard BIOS flash
updated. With any other modern video cards, that problem should be
resolved. (That means, the manufacturers will now be testing
for problems, before the customers do the test for them.)

I do see reports of a certain motherboard, having problems with a
wide range of cards, and again, I would not conclude from that,
that the standards are not backward compatible. If both the
chipset and motherboard conform to standards, it should work.
Research your own motherboard, if you have suspicions that the
video slots don't work well.

There is a hint here, as to how it works. The real PCI Express
standards cost money, and I'm too cheap to buy a copy.

See PDF page 14... Page 18 and 19 demonstrate some operations.

http://www.pcisig.com/developers/mai...b6 48a3ce54ae

"Revert back to Gen 1 if a higher speed is totally inoperable
Revert back to prior speed if a speed change did not succeed"

HTH,
Paul
Old February 1st 09, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Paul wrote:
ERIC wrote:
[...]

To the best of my knowledge, there was like _ONE_ motherboard (some
micro ATX Asus board) that had compatibility problems with PCIE 2.0 cards.
Old February 1st 09, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dumbo

Just out of curiosity would it have been the Striker Extreme board for I
cannot get a 4870 or GTX280 to work with mine.

Thanks

Robin