watercooling??? should i?

Old January 4th 05, 11:40 AM
Lee

Default watercooling??? should i?

I currently got a barton 2500+ clocked to 3200+ using a Thermaltake Volcano
7+ and am getting fed up with the noise its producing so I am considering
going over to watercooling again! (yes I once had koolance prebuilt
watercooling case but had bad experience it leaked )

I would want least noise possible and be as cheap as possible if I have to
build it up myself or preferably a pre-built one of good quality (Vapochill
too expensive)

I also like my current atx case so a kit with good adapability would be a
major requirement.

Anyone any suggestions?? just dipping my toe in water

cheers.
-----
Lee.
Old January 4th 05, 02:01 PM
Apollo

"Lee" wrote in message
I currently got a barton 2500+ clocked to 3200+ using a Thermaltake
Volcano
7+ and am getting fed up with the noise its producing so I am
considering
going over to watercooling again! (yes I once had koolance prebuilt
watercooling case but had bad experience it leaked )

I would want least noise possible and be as cheap as possible if I
have to
build it up myself or preferably a pre-built one of good quality
(Vapochill
too expensive)

I also like my current atx case so a kit with good adapability would
be a
major requirement.

Anyone any suggestions?? just dipping my toe in water

Unless you want to overclock much further than you have already (2.4
GHz) then a decent air cooler would be as good and a lot cheaper than
water.

I had a volcano 7 once, it performed no better than the stock HSF and
was extremely noisy. The best HSF I have used was a Zalman 7000cu, but
it does have some disadvantages;
1) You need four mounting holes around your cpu, check your mobo.
2) To fit the mounting points you need to remove the mobo from the case.
3) It weighs a lot, if you're heavy handed moving your case around you
risk the HSF breaking off the mobo and leaving you with a lot of damage.

I had 2.5GHz from a 2500 @ 1.85v 200x12.5 with the 7000cu, ambient -
20C, case - 29C, socket - 41C. I ran it at 2300rpm and it was virtually
silent.

I run water now, after a lot of research I found that most of the (sub
£200) kits out there are pretty crap, and ended up going with Dangerden
water blocks and a decent 120mm rad. You need a BIG case too unless you
want pump, rad and res outside the case. I have not had a leak (yet),
but it's due for a water change sometime soon and that can produce a
leak or two.

You can do water cooling on a budget, car heater rad, home made water
blocks and res, fish tank pump etc., just don't go for a cheap
commercial kit

Go for better air cooling initially, it can still be as quiet as water.

--
Ian

Old January 4th 05, 07:00 PM
rms

Unless you want to overclock much further than you have already (2.4 GHz)
then a decent air cooler would be as good and a lot cheaper than water.

Agree. I'd either do the zalman 7000, as you did (there is a clone
reviewed on nvnews.net also), or the SP-97 or the XP-97 (think that's it,
the heatpipe one), and I'd be sure to use at the least a 92mm or preferably
a 120mm panaflo or SilenX fan, even if you need a 120-92mm adaptor.

I run water now, after a lot of research I found that most of the (sub
£200) kits out there are pretty crap, and ended up going with Dangerden
water blocks and a decent 120mm rad. You need a BIG case too unless you
want pump, rad and res outside the case.

I also am using an old Dangerden Maze3 with a JCWhitney flatpanel
oilcooler similar to this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-7616/c-10101
with 3 120mm Panaflos, with a lowball fountain pump driving it. Definitely
a kludge, and definitely not very portable. The OP should stick to good
aircooling, or just move up to a Athlon64 system.

rms

Old January 4th 05, 11:17 PM
David Johnstone

What about the Zalman Reserator 1?
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product...t.asp?code=021
Has anyone good or bad experiences with that?
It seems to be one of the few for socket 939, and it is
widely available and reasonably priced here in Germany
(around EUR170 mail order).
It looks decent but I have never seen one close up or built
one into a system. Any good?
David

Old January 5th 05, 01:42 PM
Apollo

"David Johnstone" wrote in message
What about the Zalman Reserator 1?
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product...t.asp?code=021
Has anyone good or bad experiences with that?
It seems to be one of the few for socket 939, and it is
widely available and reasonably priced here in Germany
(around EUR170 mail order).
It looks decent but I have never seen one close up or built
one into a system. Any good?
David

I don't have any direct experience of the Res 1, the 2 people I know who
have them say;
They're good for reducing noise (but so is a decent air cooler) and they
look pretty cool.
They're not as good as air (or proper water) for overclocking,
temperature easily exceeds 55-60C with 1.75 vcore on both systems at 22C
ambient.

--
Ian

Old January 5th 05, 09:52 PM
Lee

Thank you for the info guys much appreciated!

:
: Agree. I'd either do the zalman 7000, as you did (there is a clone
:reviewed on nvnews.net also), or the SP-97 or the XP-97 (think that's it,
:the heatpipe one), and I'd be sure to use at the least a 92mm or preferably
:a 120mm panaflo or SilenX fan, even if you need a 120-92mm adaptor.

rms looking at these fans they sound quite loud the 92mm panaflo i see is
about 30db and the 120mm is about 35db isn't this pretty loud
so you actually need a fan with the TT SI 97 (replacement for SP-97) also
what is the TT XP-90 or TT XP-120 like?
:

Old January 12th 05, 05:11 PM
Lester Piglet

A lower priced kit that works perfectly and doesnt leak. I've been using one
for 2 years now.
www.wetandchillychips.co.uk