new 530S and axin probelms

Old September 26th 08, 12:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Xanth

Default new 530S and axin probelms

Greetings all,

I have been reloading mysoftware for the new PC. When I get to activsync
4.xx I can get the axim to load fine but I lose the abilty to use my
fax/modem. Somehow the axim and the modem are on the same COM3. if i leave
the axim unplugged the modem/fax works, if it is plugged in the modem/fax
lock up.

I have tried to find a solution but so far have failed, that is why I am
here , looking for some help or guidance to a website for help.

Thanks

Dave-

Old September 26th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"xanth" wrote in message
Greetings all,

I have been reloading mysoftware for the new PC. When I get to activsync
4.xx I can get the axim to load fine but I lose the abilty to use my
fax/modem. Somehow the axim and the modem are on the same COM3. if i leave
the axim unplugged the modem/fax works, if it is plugged in the modem/fax
lock up.

I have tried to find a solution but so far have failed, that is why I am
here , looking for some help or guidance to a website for help.

Thanks

Dave-

No solution, but an option might be to either use an online fax service or a
standalone fax machine. Most OEM modems are more effective as fishing lures
than reliable devices - I'd bet they cost PC mfrs less than $5.

All that said, you might try to find an updated modem driver/software
version - or if it worked at one time you might try to identify the specific
version(s) of any softwares for both the modem and Axim.

Old September 26th 08, 11:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Most OEM modems are more effective as fishing lures
than reliable devices - I'd bet they cost PC mfrs less than $5.

That would be funny if it wasn't true. These days most modems don't even
have proper circuitry to handle the phone line since it's all integrated
into the almost-microscopic "placeholder" IC on the modem card. Which means
that a surge that once would destroy only the line facing circuitry in the
modem now usually eats the motherboard as well. (I have a huge pile of
modems with "craters" in the IC that I steal parts off of for projects.)

But to bring this back on topic...

I think the OP may have some options, if they go into the modem entry in
Device Manager and look at the advanced properties, they might be able to
change the resources the modem is using. Today's modems can handle almost
unlimited placement in the system's resource table. They're no longer
limited to COM1/COM3 or COM2/COM4 and the underlying fixed resources.

William

Old September 27th 08, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dave

William,

Thanks for your suggestion, I moved the modem to COM 1, tunred on my axim,
plugged and it seems to be work, it connected, I tried Hyperterm and it
dailed out. now all Ihave to do is install my fax software and test it. It
seems so odd that we can configure the hareware anywhere we we want, (
within reason ) I have alsway choosen COM 3 for modems from when I started
with my 1st 386 machine and connection to BBS with 2400 baud.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the Axim to connect to my
wireless system, it was great unitl I made my wireless secure with WAPII
The info is correct in my Axim but does not connect.

Dave-

Hi!