My X2 5400 is running too hot

Old June 27th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Mac Cool

Default My X2 5400 is running too hot

I upgraded my machine from a Sempron 3000 to an X2 5400 and it's running
too hot, about 55c average, jumps to 62-65 under load. I'm using the stock
heat sink/fan but I still don't think it should get that hot. I have no
case fans.

According to Speedfan my temps under load a
temp1: 64
temp2: 46
temp3: 25
hd0: 47
hd1: 48
temp1: 30
co 66

Rosewill case
ECS 6100 MB

What is my best bet? A fan for the side of the case?
Old June 27th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:16:54 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

I upgraded my machine from a Sempron 3000 to an X2 5400 and it's running
too hot, about 55c average, jumps to 62-65 under load. I'm using the
stock heat sink/fan but I still don't think it should get that hot. I
have no case fans.

According to Speedfan my temps under load a temp1: 64
temp2: 46
temp3: 25
hd0: 47
hd1: 48
temp1: 30
co 66

Rosewill case
ECS 6100 MB

What is my best bet? A fan for the side of the case?

Your case temp2 is way too high if it's accurate. CPU being only 18C above
that during load isn't bad. You could duct the cpu fan to the side panel,
or install a front intake fan. Either should help.

Old June 27th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Mac Cool

Wes Newell:

Your case temp2 is way too high if it's accurate. CPU being only 18C
above that during load isn't bad. You could duct the cpu fan to the
side panel, or install a front intake fan. Either should help.

When you say duct tape to the side, do you mean create a tunnel so the CPU
fan is drawing outside air over the processer? That sounds like a good
idea.

Tomorrow I'll open it up and see about fitting a front intake fan.
Old June 27th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
R. C. White

Hi, Mac.

Hmmm... I don't see the word "tape" in Wes's post. :^}

But I suppose your version could work if you are a skilled duct-taper.

I think Wes meant to use just about any method of conducting the heat from
the CPU fan to outside the case. But it might be best to wait for him to
clarify just what he had in mind.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 on EPoX MF570sli)

Wes Newell:

Old June 27th 08, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:37:42 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

Wes Newell:

Your case temp2 is way too high if it's accurate. CPU being only 18C
above that during load isn't bad. You could duct the cpu fan to the
side panel, or install a front intake fan. Either should help.

When you say duct tape to the side, do you mean create a tunnel so the
CPU fan is drawing outside air over the processer? That sounds like a
good idea.

Actually, I meant cutting a round hole in the cover in line with the cpu
cooler and ducting the outside air to the cooler fan using an air duct.
But this may be too much of an extreme measure. Just cutting the hole
about 3" in dia. should help a lot.

Tomorrow I'll open it up and see about fitting a front intake fan.

I've had to modify every case I ever installed a front intake fan in.
Otherwise the fan just starves for outside air and is real noisy. Maybe
before doing anything you should remove the side cover and see what that
does to temps. Then you'll have something to go on.

Old June 27th 08, 07:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Mac Cool

R. C. White:

Hmmm... I don't see the word "tape" in Wes's post. :^}

Oh man, reading is fundamental. At least I got what he meant even if I
didn't read what he wrote.
Old June 27th 08, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Mac Cool

Wes Newell:

Actually, I meant cutting a round hole in the cover in line with the cpu
cooler and ducting the outside air to the cooler fan using an air duct.
But this may be too much of an extreme measure. Just cutting the hole
about 3" in dia. should help a lot.

I actually have a hole alread there and another square vent hole several
inches below that. Putting a duct in is a good idea.

I've had to modify every case I ever installed a front intake fan in.
Otherwise the fan just starves for outside air and is real noisy. Maybe
before doing anything you should remove the side cover and see what that
does to temps. Then you'll have something to go on.

I went ahead and peeked in there and it doesn't seem there is hardly any
ventilation in the front. I would definitely have to cut something
otherwise a fan would be sucking plastic.

I took the side cover off and directed a fan into the case.

first number is with case side on under load, second number is case side
off under load.

temp1: 64 50
temp2: 46 40
temp3: 25 25
hd0: 47 36
hd1: 48 37
co 66 54

Much better.
Old June 27th 08, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:41:49 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

I took the side cover off and directed a fan into the case.

first number is with case side on under load, second number is case side
off under load.

temp1: 64 50
temp2: 46 40
temp3: 25 25
hd0: 47 36
hd1: 48 37
co 66 54

Much better.

Yep. And your HDD's will last a lot longer too with cooler temps.

Old June 27th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
2

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:59:31 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:41:49 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

I took the side cover off and directed a fan into the case.

first number is with case side on under load, second number is case side
off under load.

temp1: 64 50
temp2: 46 40
temp3: 25 25
hd0: 47 36
hd1: 48 37
co 66 54

Much better.

Yep. And your HDD's will last a lot longer too with cooler temps.

Hey dude, turn your air conditioner on.
If you don't understand what I am talking about you are probable
suffering from a heat stroke. Call an ambulance immediately.

Cheers.

return of the 5400 anonymous Storage (alternative) 10 May 31st 04 02:07 PM
5400? Ryan Nvidia Videocards 2 April 15th 04 09:58 PM
Minolta 5400 & X-Pan Robert Meyers Scanners 3 November 18th 03 03:25 PM
5400 Minolta John Wight Scanners 5 November 3rd 03 10:43 AM
COMPAQ LTE 5400 - MAX. HDD? European Compaq Computers 2 September 11th 03 01:12 PM