SLI and multimon

Old March 11th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Moore[_2_]

Default SLI and multimon

I'm considering an SLI setup (Alienware machine), but I badly need
multimon capability as I'm a software developer and Visual Studio
thinks only one display is soooo last year, given how many pixels it
wants to be useable :-). I'm used to three screens at work (quadro
setup), but would settle for two at a pinch at home.

But since I'm a softie and don't know much about hardware, I was
wondering if an SLI setup can be coaxed into doing multi-mon, given
that you'd have four DVI's sitting there. Would I need any extra
hardware, like a DVI switchbox ? Or does having the SLI jumper cable
installed proclude these sorts of shenanigans ?

Please enlighten - I wait with breath, as ever, bated.

Old March 11th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
I'm considering an SLI setup (Alienware machine), but I badly need
multimon capability as I'm a software developer and Visual Studio
thinks only one display is soooo last year, given how many pixels it
wants to be useable :-). I'm used to three screens at work (quadro
setup), but would settle for two at a pinch at home.

But since I'm a softie and don't know much about hardware, I was
wondering if an SLI setup can be coaxed into doing multi-mon, given
that you'd have four DVI's sitting there. Would I need any extra
hardware, like a DVI switchbox ? Or does having the SLI jumper cable
installed proclude these sorts of shenanigans ?

Current SLI setup......you must disable SLI for multimon. With SLI on, one
monitor.

Old March 11th 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Current SLI setup......you must disable SLI for multimon. With SLI on, one
monitor.

Should point out that you can add a third PCI card (a Radeon is best because
the Nvidia drivers will detect a PCI Nvidia card and disable it's outputs
while SLI is enabled). This setup allows dual monitor with SLI active. It's
kind of ugly, though.

Old March 12th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Bob Moore wrote:
I'm considering an SLI setup (Alienware machine), but I badly need
multimon capability as I'm a software developer and Visual Studio
thinks only one display is soooo last year, given how many pixels it
wants to be useable :-). I'm used to three screens at work (quadro
setup), but would settle for two at a pinch at home.

But since I'm a softie and don't know much about hardware, I was
wondering if an SLI setup can be coaxed into doing multi-mon, given
that you'd have four DVI's sitting there. Would I need any extra
hardware, like a DVI switchbox ? Or does having the SLI jumper cable
installed proclude these sorts of shenanigans ?

Please enlighten - I wait with breath, as ever, bated.

If you want three displays, use three video cards. If you do not game,
use Matrox for three displays.

Multi-monitored and SLI'ed is an oxymoron for design reasons already
mentioned. You can split one card into two displays and the 2nd card for
the third (very easy to do with the nView wizard upon driver
installation) or be bold and get a card for each display, three 9600's
would power all but a few games to 1600x1200 (per monitor) and all of
them at 1280x1024 each which are the only two resolutions you need to
consider.

/.hands you some Listerine for your stank breath.
Old March 12th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jason A.

Currently I am running a pair of 8800GTS, with two monitors. What
everyone has said so far is true, if you want SLI enabled (for games),
you get one display.

That being said, you can enable and disable SLI from the nVidia control
panel app, and in Vista at least, not need a reboot. But, if you're
particular about how your desktop is laid out (icons positioning and
such), either be prepared to be annoyed (icons all get clustered in
upper-left), or set up two logins (one for playing games with SLI and
one display, one for "work")

Even with two logins, you still need to enable / disable SLI each time.

But, you don't need to pull the SLI bridge off, so that's a good thing...

Jason

Old March 12th 08, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew Bailey[_4_]

"Jason A." wrote in message
news:S7CdndUJnPTp0UranZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Currently I am running a pair of 8800GTS, with two monitors. What
everyone has said so far is true, if you want SLI enabled (for games), you
get one display.

That being said, you can enable and disable SLI from the nVidia control
panel app, and in Vista at least, not need a reboot. But, if you're
particular about how your desktop is laid out (icons positioning and
such), either be prepared to be annoyed (icons all get clustered in
upper-left), or set up two logins (one for playing games with SLI and one
display, one for "work")

Even with two logins, you still need to enable / disable SLI each time.

But, you don't need to pull the SLI bridge off, so that's a good thing...

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have an SLi (always enabled) rig with one DVI cable going from card 1 to
my monitor which displays at its native 1680 x 1050. The spare DVI output on
card 1 is then connected to a matrox triplehead analogue (VGA) which in turn
connects to the unused VGA port on my main (centre) screen and the VGA ports
of the left and right screens.

I can boot up into 1 screen at max native res with digital signal and at
anytime I just call up the Nvidia display panel and select the "Matrox"
display from the "Setup Multiple Displays" tab and the display switches to
3840 x 1024 (1280 x 1024 over 3 screens). If I want I can switch back or
leave it and boot into 3 screens next session.

Very easy to setup and works a treat. Obviously there is the additional cost
of 2 extra monitors but the tripplehead was only £140 and is probably
cheaper now there is a digital version.

Hope this helps

Andy

Old March 13th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Moore[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:08:01 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

(a Radeon is best because
the Nvidia drivers will detect a PCI Nvidia card and disable it's outputs
while SLI is enabled). This setup allows dual monitor with SLI active. It's
kind of ugly, though.

Ah that's worth knowing, thanks. It's back to the old multi-card setup
we used to use then.

I have a nasty feeling scratching away at the back of my head that
Aero gets ****y about multiple drivers from different manufacturers
though. Have to look into that - I have to test under Aero.

Wow four video cards just to get three displays if I want one to game
on... might have to mount the PC into its own air conditioner :-)

I think I might just get one 8800 Ultra plus another cheaper Nvidia
card. That would give me three DVIs without all the hassle.