Quadro Cards...?

Old September 13th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ian Bethell

Default Quadro Cards...?

Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at the
same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.

TIA

Ian.

Old September 13th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Ian Bethell:

Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at the
same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.

No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.

Some Quadro NVS cards have TV out but also there the same limitation
like for Geforce cards apply.

Benjamin
Old September 16th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ian Bethell

What about if I forget about Component video and just run a quadro card as
TWO monitors (DVI) and a third output as VGA (Or will it have to be DVI
also?)

Can I forget the fourth output?

I'm a little confused, as I can't really find any "Practical" applications
or examples on the web regarding ANY video card... all they talk about is
specs and speeds and layers/shaders etc... all I want is to run a decent
extended desktop workstation and utilise the video capabilities and output
to a projector.

TIA.

Ian.

* Ian Bethell:

Old September 16th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Benjamin Gawert:

Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at
the same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.

No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.

Surprise! Nvidia now announced the Quadro FX 1700 (based on the Geforce
8600) which has an analog HD component output additionally to two
DualLink DVI outputs.

Maybe that's something for you.

Benjamin
Old September 16th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Ian Bethell:

What about if I forget about Component video and just run a quadro card as
TWO monitors (DVI) and a third output as VGA (Or will it have to be DVI
also?)

You can do that with two Quadro cards (i.e. one AGP or PCIe card and a
secondary PCI card).

Can I forget the fourth output?

Sure.

I'm a little confused, as I can't really find any "Practical" applications
or examples on the web regarding ANY video card... all they talk about is
specs and speeds and layers/shaders etc... all I want is to run a decent
extended desktop workstation and utilise the video capabilities and output
to a projector.

Then probably the Quadro NVS series is something for you. The NVS are
cards targeted at the professional 2D market (they do have 3D
capabilities, though).

Benjamin
Old September 17th 07, 08:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ian Bethell

Ok, but i'm still a bit confused... I thought being "Quadro" as in Quad=4...
it had FOUR outputs?

and that the FX1500 has HD output, that would be classed as one of these
four?

So confused... guess the only way to see HOW they work is to go buy one and
try it.

Old September 17th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Ian Bethell:
Ok, but i'm still a bit confused... I thought being "Quadro" as in Quad=4...
it had FOUR outputs?

Nope. It has nothing to do with the number of outputs.

Geforce = Consumer gfx cards ("gaming cards").

Quadro = professional gfx cards ("CAD gfx cards")

As the comparable Geforce variants Quadro cards usually have two outputs
(2x DVI-I which can drive a digital or an analog display). Quadros
usually don't have TV out but instead have an output for 3D shutter
glasses (Stereo out).

and that the FX1500 has HD output, that would be classed as one of these
four?

No. The FX1500 has two outputs of which one can be configured as HD output.

So confused... guess the only way to see HOW they work is to go buy one and
try it.

If you have too much money, then yes ;-) Otherwise I'd recommend reading
the specs on nvidia.com and on the PNY (the only Quadro board partner
and thus manufacturer of all Quadro cards) homepage.

Benjamin
Old September 22nd 07, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

I've tested the top quadro cards on the market, and benched them
against both nVidia 7900 and 7950 GT. Both of the gaming cards
put the quadros in the weeds in tests with AutoCAD 2007,
SolidWorks 2007, and Catia. As for straight up gaming benchmarks,
that is just a joke. If the quadro will run the benchmark at all, it
gives a score maybe 50% less than the 7950 in all areas tested.

johns

Old September 25th 07, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* johns:
I've tested the top quadro cards on the market

So that means you can't name specific cards/models?

, and benched them
against both nVidia 7900 and 7950 GT. Both of the gaming cards
put the quadros in the weeds in tests with AutoCAD 2007,
SolidWorks 2007, and Catia.

Yeah, right. Just that the Geforce cards suck when it comes to wire
frame performance in complex objects. That's btw what all the
optimizations that the driver enables when he detects a Quadro are for.
Besides the fact that the Geforce simply lacks features that are
necessary for some application (i.e. AA lines). A Geforce *works* with
most professional applications flawlessly, but it rarely *performs* as
well as a Quadro with them.

So please, provide some details: what cards did you test, what hardware
did you use (CPU, RAM, mobo, BIOS version, PSU), what resolutions(s),
what driver versions, what was the OS patch level, what driver settings,
which subrelease of AutoCAD and SolidWorks, which version and subversion
of CATIA, which data, how did you test performance etc.

As for straight up gaming benchmarks,
that is just a joke. If the quadro will run the benchmark at all, it
gives a score maybe 50% less than the 7950 in all areas tested.

Then your benchmarking was crap. The Quadro cards usually perform around
0-10% worse in games than the comparable Geforce models, and that's
mostly because of the lower GPU/Mem clock rate of the Quadros. Besides
that, the Quadros run all bechmarks that the comparable Geforce card
runs, simply because hardware and driver are identical.

Personally I've been using professional cards (FireGL and Quadro) for
years now, starting with the Quadro2 Pro over the Quadro4 900XGL/980XGL,
to the Quadro FX 2000/3000/3500/4500/5500 and now with the Quadro FX4600
(and with the FireGL 1/2/4/8800/T2/X1-256p/X3-256/V7200/V7350). Where I
work we have dozens of workstations running different Quadro cards in
single and SLI config, and I had enough opportunities to test the
performance of standard Geforce cards versus the Quadro series.

Benjamin who has the strong impression that this "benchmark" was just
made up