Dual DVI at *exactly* 1680x1050

Old February 11th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roy Hann

Default Dual DVI at *exactly* 1680x1050

Can someone suggest a graphics card that will give me:

Dual DVI
resolution that includes exactly 1680x1050 (each)
AGP or PCI, don't care
for office applications, not gaming or other realistic rendering
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 support

It seems to me that this should be very undemanding, but I've already found
out the hard way that just because the vendor says resolutions "up to some
way big number by some other big number", that doesn't automatically mean
1680x1050 is included. I have also found that none of the vendor websites
seem to list the supported combinations of resolutions.

So, folks, any suggestions? Thanks.

Roy

Old February 11th 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Roy Hann" wrote in message
news
Can someone suggest a graphics card that will give me:

Dual DVI
resolution that includes exactly 1680x1050 (each)
AGP or PCI, don't care
for office applications, not gaming or other realistic rendering
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 support

It seems to me that this should be very undemanding, but I've already
found out the hard way that just because the vendor says resolutions "up
to some way big number by some other big number", that doesn't
automatically mean 1680x1050 is included. I have also found that none of
the vendor websites seem to list the supported combinations of
resolutions.

Typically, non-standard resolutions can be generated by a large number of
cards. But it's the specific monitor drivers that are the key component in
determining this. The generic XP monitor drivers will not do this.

Old February 11th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Roy Hann:

Can someone suggest a graphics card that will give me:

Dual DVI
resolution that includes exactly 1680x1050 (each)
AGP or PCI, don't care
for office applications, not gaming or other realistic rendering
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 support

Every Geforce and Radeon card except some crappy Geforce FX5200/5500 are
capable of this...

It seems to me that this should be very undemanding, but I've already found
out the hard way that just because the vendor says resolutions "up to some
way big number by some other big number", that doesn't automatically mean
1680x1050 is included.

It *does* exactly mean that. Every gfx card of the last 10 years or so
is freely programmable regarding resolutions which means they can
display everything up to the max resolution that is listed.

The same is valid for every Radeon and Geforce card. There however were
some el-cheapo Geforce FX5200 and FX5500 with buggy BIOS that don't
support high resolutions over DVI.

If you can't get 2x 1680x1050 from your Geforce with two DVI ports then
there's something wrong with either your hardware or the software/driver....

I have also found that none of the vendor websites
seem to list the supported combinations of resolutions.

So, folks, any suggestions?

Yes. Just post some details about where you have which problems, maybe
we can help you to solve that.

Benjamin
Old February 11th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roy Hann

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Roy Hann:

Can someone suggest a graphics card that will give me:

Dual DVI
resolution that includes exactly 1680x1050 (each)
AGP or PCI, don't care
for office applications, not gaming or other realistic rendering
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 support

Every Geforce and Radeon card except some crappy Geforce FX5200/5500 are
capable of this...

That sounds promising.

It seems to me that this should be very undemanding, but I've already
found out the hard way that just because the vendor says resolutions "up
to some way big number by some other big number", that doesn't
automatically mean 1680x1050 is included.

It *does* exactly mean that.

I believe my Matrox G550 is less than 10 years old, yet it won't offer me
the required resolution. The driver offers me a fixed menu of resolutions
that doesn't include what I want.

Every gfx card of the last 10 years or so is freely programmable regarding
resolutions which means they can display everything up to the max
resolution that is listed.

If you can suggest how I might persuade the G550 to give me what I want I'd
be grateful. Failing that, I'd like to hear from someone who is running a
dual head card at exactly 1680x1050 with two monitors (i.e. 3360x1050).

Roy

Old February 11th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin

"Roy Hann" wrote in message
[...]

The Matrox G550 will only do 1280X1024 on the DVI conections in digital
mode.
See link
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/di...s/g550pcie.php
In Analog mode the secondary display is also restricted to 1600X1200
maximum.
If you really need 1680X1050 on both DVI connections it looks like a new
card is in your future.
As said before "Every Geforce and Radeon card except some crappy Geforce
FX5200/5500 are
capable of this...". Just do not get a "Turbo Cache" version of anything.
Kevin

Old February 12th 07, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Roy Hann:

I believe my Matrox G550 is less than 10 years old, yet it won't offer me
the required resolution.

Right. This is simply because the G550 has limited DVI ports that can't
do more than 1280x1024. But the GPU still is freely programmable and
does every resolution that is within it's limits.

The driver offers me a fixed menu of resolutions
that doesn't include what I want.

Be careful: even ATI and Nvidia drivers won't show you 1680x1050 unless
the driver recognizes a display that supports 1680x1050. The G550 should
do this resolution just fine - but only via analog (VGA) because their
limited DVI ports.

Every gfx card of the last 10 years or so is freely programmable regarding
resolutions which means they can display everything up to the max
resolution that is listed.

If you can suggest how I might persuade the G550 to give me what I want I'd
be grateful.

Over DVI? No way.

Failing that, I'd like to hear from someone who is running a
dual head card at exactly 1680x1050 with two monitors (i.e. 3360x1050).

As I said get a Radeon or Geforce card with two DVI ports and you're
set. Unlike with Matrox this is not a problem with ATI and Nvidia cards...

Benjamin, who ran two Dell 2005FPWs with 1680x1050 for some time
Old February 12th 07, 07:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roy Hann

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message

[snip]
As I said get a Radeon or Geforce card with two DVI ports and you're set.
Unlike with Matrox this is not a problem with ATI and Nvidia cards...

Benjamin, who ran two Dell 2005FPWs with 1680x1050 for some time

Many thanks Benjamin.

Roy