Do I have a damaged CPU?

Old September 14th 06, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
baddley

Default Do I have a damaged CPU?

I had been running a desktop with Asus A7M266, AMD Athlon 1.4GHz and
750 MB, 266Mhz DDR memory chips when I noticed the CPU fans
intermittently malfunctioning. Then I started getting frequent shut
downs of the desktop saying, " A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA......"

I replaced the motherboard with PCchips M848A. The problem persists.
After spending some time to figure out the cause of the problem, I
concluded that the CPU is the culprit. Is there any program I can use
to test it?

Do damaged CPUs cause problems like mine?

Old September 14th 06, 09:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

baddley wrote:

I had been running a desktop with Asus A7M266, AMD Athlon 1.4GHz and
750 MB, 266Mhz DDR memory chips when I noticed the CPU fans
intermittently malfunctioning. Then I started getting frequent shut
downs of the desktop saying, " A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA......"

I replaced the motherboard with PCchips M848A. The problem persists.
After spending some time to figure out the cause of the problem, I
concluded that the CPU is the culprit. Is there any program I can use
to test it?

Do damaged CPUs cause problems like mine?

How could the computer display the error message without a functioning
CPU?

Did you replace the CPU fan? You mentioned "CPU fans," as if your CPU
had more than one, but I've never seen a decently built CPU cooler with
more than one fan.

You also didn't mention anything about your power supply.

Old September 14th 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"baddley" wrote in message
news
I had been running a desktop with Asus A7M266, AMD Athlon 1.4GHz and
750 MB, 266Mhz DDR memory chips when I noticed the CPU fans
intermittently malfunctioning. Then I started getting frequent shut
downs of the desktop saying, " A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA......"

I replaced the motherboard with PCchips M848A. The problem persists.
After spending some time to figure out the cause of the problem, I
concluded that the CPU is the culprit. Is there any program I can use
to test it?

Do damaged CPUs cause problems like mine?

Try running it with one stick of memory in it. although as the other poster
says, I would suspect the power supply. It's very unlikely to be the CPU and
unfortunately, having to put your bits in a PC Chips mobo isn't going to
help diagnosing the problem any.

SteveH

Old September 14th 06, 12:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
baddley

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:13:57 GMT, "SteveH"
wrote:

"baddley" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yes, I tried to run one stick of memory. It did not help. I have a new
Antec 500W Power supply.
Old September 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DustWolf

Hello,

What you describe sounds a lot like a problem with Winodows.

You mention the CPU "fans" are "intermittently malfunctioning" could
you actually describe what is wrong with them?

The only two hardware problems that cause the problems you describe
1. Bad RAM
2. Dieing harddisk

You can do a disk check with both ticks checked (basically a surface
scan) and see if it finds and bad sectors to test if #2 is the case and
download a memtest utility to test #1.

But short of these unlikely hardware problems, you are looking at a
problematic driver or virus / spyware causing instability in your
windows installation.

If you are certain your CPU has a problem, there is a diagnostic
program called HotCPU tester, if you get your hands on it, it will help
you proove that to yourself, or proove you that something else is a
problem... or possibly it will find no problems and you are looking at
a program causing instability.

Old September 14th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"DustWolf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

What you describe sounds a lot like a problem with Winodows.

You mention the CPU "fans" are "intermittently malfunctioning" could
you actually describe what is wrong with them?

The only two hardware problems that cause the problems you describe
1. Bad RAM
2. Dieing harddisk

Not true, I've seen the "PAGE_FULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA......" error caused by
problems with video cards as well.

SteveH

Old September 14th 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"baddley" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:13:57 GMT, "SteveH"
wrote:

"baddley" wrote in message
news
[...]

Google for 'Hot cpu tester'
Mike.

Old September 15th 06, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David Maynard

baddley wrote:
I had been running a desktop with Asus A7M266, AMD Athlon 1.4GHz and
750 MB, 266Mhz DDR memory chips when I noticed the CPU fans
intermittently malfunctioning. Then I started getting frequent shut
downs of the desktop saying, " A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA......"

I replaced the motherboard with PCchips M848A. The problem persists.
After spending some time to figure out the cause of the problem, I
concluded that the CPU is the culprit. Is there any program I can use
to test it?

Do damaged CPUs cause problems like mine?

Damaged CPUs usually just don't work at all.

But if your CPU fan is not working properly then an overheating CPU can
easily cause the symptom you describe.

Old October 10th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mitochondrion

OK 500W antec is good for power requirements of your system, I would
be willing to bet it's the RAM, but an overheating CPU can
"forget" to mark entries in RAM as paged out so it hits it,
tries a PF, no entry CRASH

Check RAM, HD, CPU
And get rid of the PC_Chips mobo...lol

USB PORT DAMAGED gummybear68 General 6 September 19th 04 02:44 AM
Partitioning a damaged hard drive Peter Paul Supfil Storage (alternative) 3 December 17th 03 07:39 PM
Damaged ATI 9800XT ADVICE! Chris Bedford Ati Videocards 2 December 2nd 03 01:47 PM
Damaged Card Chris Bedford Ati Videocards 2 December 2nd 03 04:49 AM
Damaged sectors Cyan Storage (alternative) 8 September 24th 03 08:58 PM