What's your 3d card history?

Old December 27th 05, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default What's your 3d card history?

"Freedom55" "joinertake this wrote in message ...
--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney

The way it was written:

Old December 28th 05, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"»Q«" wrote in message
.. .
"McGrandpa" wrote in
:

"»Q«" wrote in message
.. .
"McGrandpa" wrote in
:

Available= tested, usable, not installed in anything
DEAD= not functioning (really)
Current= installed and running in a system right now

ATI Mach 64 (available)
ATI Rage 3D (available)
Matrox Millenium G200 16 meg (available)
CL 3D Blaster PCI (a Rendition Verite 1000 based card) (can't
find it!) CL Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
Wicked 3D Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
Diamond Viper v770Ultra (current)
Asus V6800 (GeForce 256) (DEAD)
CL GeForce2 GTS (DEAD)
PNY GF4 Ti4600 (current)
ATI Radeon 7000 (current)
ATI Radeon 8500 (gave this to someone)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (available, might be dying)
PNY GF FX5900 (available, bad fan)
eVGA 6800 128meg (12,5) (current)
eVGA 6800GT 256meg (current in this rig)

Whenever these kinda threads start, I'm always amazed/amused by
the lengths of the lists. Here's mine, for everyone to laugh at:

Voodoo 3 2000
Gainward GS Ti 200
MSI 6600 GT

Once I get a new (to me) card, I go back and play games from the
past 2-3 years that my previous card wouldn't run at decent
settings. Suits me fine.

Nuthin wrong with that man! I've been at this a long time
though... that verite 1000 board was what I got to play Tombraider
and Quake with That was a while before the Voodoo3 I think
I didn't even mention my older 2D cards...
McG.

Heh, I played TR with an onboard ATI chipset, 2 or 4 MB IIRC.

--
»Q«

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with a meg o
ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had before it. Went
'clone' after that ST. Got my very first Video Card. ATI VGA wonder, 512K.
I played the original Wing Commander on it... it was so slow it took me two
years to finish it!!!! LOL! course, the computer it was in was a
286-12mHz, 2 megs of ram in chips. Damn computer barely outran the
keyboard. Games gave me reason to begin upgrading.
Happy New Year Q!
McG.

Old January 2nd 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

No idea + 3Dfx Voodoo 1
3Dfx Voodoo 3 PCI
Nvidia Geforce2MX + Hauppauge WinTV AGP
ATI AIW8500DV AGP
ATI AIW9800pro AGP
Nvidia 7800GT PCI-Express

Lessons learned -

ATI drivers were awful.

Don't buy combined graphics cards / TV tuners.

Stability is more important than speed. Keep a PCI card on-hand for when
you've stuff the BIOS in your AGP card.

WD40 is only a temporary solution to a squealing fan: replace the damn fan
ASAP.

It doesn't matter now how fast the technology improves - I don't think I'll
ever again get a feeling like seeing for the first time the difference
between Quake in software and on a Voodoo 1.

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa wrote:

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the top, and
eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say that I was using a
dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"/mel/" wrote in message
No idea + 3Dfx Voodoo 1
3Dfx Voodoo 3 PCI
Nvidia Geforce2MX + Hauppauge WinTV AGP
ATI AIW8500DV AGP
ATI AIW9800pro AGP
Nvidia 7800GT PCI-Express

Lessons learned -

ATI drivers were awful.

Don't buy combined graphics cards / TV tuners.

Stability is more important than speed. Keep a PCI card on-hand for when
you've stuff the BIOS in your AGP card.

WD40 is only a temporary solution to a squealing fan: replace the damn fan
ASAP.

It doesn't matter now how fast the technology improves - I don't think
I'll ever again get a feeling like seeing for the first time the
difference between Quake in software and on a Voodoo 1.

I went from Quake and Tombraider in software to somewhat accelerated 3D with
a Verite 1000 card (and specially written executeables FOR the verite). The
difference was astounding. I can *see*! I can *SEE*!!! LOL! Like you,
I'll never forget THAT moment! Until then, while in software rendering, I
had to imagine what the picture really looked like :-\
Then I added the Voodoo2 12 meg. Same stuff but higher res and much
faster. Relatively speaking, of course

These noobs today just don't *KNOW* what they've got!!!
McG.

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"/mel/" wrote in message
McGrandpa wrote:

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the top, and
eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say that I was using
a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)

Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if they can
make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can sure make a clone
out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know that actually DID that
one
McG.

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa wrote:

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)

Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
that actually DID that one

Actually - I'm trying to remember now if it was a 286 or an 86. Hmmm.
Fairly sure it was a 286. I can't recall the details, but it ran fairly well
as I recall. I had it easy though, as I'd managed to get hold of a couple of
140MB ESDI hard disk drives (this was at a time when 5 or 10MB was the norm,
if you had a disk drive at all). Because of the partition size limits I had
to have a lot of partitions!

Making a Mac out of an ST was easy, and it ****ed a lot of Mac owners off,
as they'd paid so much money. Even more so when the portable ST was
released!

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa wrote:

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)

Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
that actually DID that one

Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"/mel/" wrote in message
McGrandpa wrote:

[...]

Yup, that little mod was the reason Apple cracked down hard on distribution
of their Mac ROMS. That did put the little company that made the kit out
of business pronto too.

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old January 2nd 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"/mel/" wrote in message
McGrandpa wrote:

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)

Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
that actually DID that one

Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!

Name rings a bell, but I don't remember having anything by that name.
Sorry. I did get and use some midi stuff, for the keyboards I used to
have. So, what was it?
McG.
--

/mel/