DVI Problem

Old January 2nd 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default DVI Problem

Not sure if this is the correct group for the problem I presently have
with my monitor, if it isn˙t I would appreciate being directed towards
a more appropriate group, thank you.

Hitachi CML174SXW B LCD Monitor.
Ledtek Winfast A360TD FX5700 Card, using latest driver from Ledtek.

Using the VGA cable between the card and monitor everything works
okay, but if I use the DVI cable connection I experience a minor,
irritating, problem.
When cold booting the computer using the DVI cable connection the
monitor doesn˙t display anything until the Windows ´Welcomeˇ screen.
At that point everything works as normal and if I then restart, or
close down and reboot, the monitor correctly displays the boot
information that displays before the Windows welcome screen.
As already mentioned using the VGA cable connections everything works
fine at all times.

Assistance in rectifying this annoyance would be much appreciated.

John.
Old January 2nd 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Well, let's see-
Theboot mode and display is basically VGA, and basedupon the mbd and video
card BIOS.
I'd bet that the MBD BIOS knows little or nothing about DVI.
This leaves the video card BIOS. This seems to point to utilities (if
available) that can replace the bios or modify it.

There is an ability (if implemented) in the video card bios to detect the
LCD and it's capabilities. If the display is capable of responding
correctly, you would expect that the video card would setup appropriately.
Otherwise, windows and the display drivers take over. (Which is what you
seem to be seeing.)

A hint-- My Samsung 930b is connected to both analog and video outputs from
a 6800GT video card.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I have the same LCD model and use its DVI input. I vaguely recall solving
that problem by updating my motherboard's BIOS. (Asus P4C800E-D)

Tony.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:31:07 +1300, The Black Wibble wrote:

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Tony, Motherboard (Soltek SL-75MRN) has already been updated to
the latest BIOS version so in my case this isn't the answer:-(
You say you solved the problem, did you in fact have the same problem
as I'm having?

John.

Old January 3rd 06, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:31:07 +1300, The Black Wibble wrote:

[...]
[...]

The LCD would sometimes receive no signal until during when the Windows XP
logo appeared and sometimes right up until the Welcome screen. BTW, I have
never updated my gfx card's video BIOS, and I'm quite sure I never had to
fiddle with the monitor settings. You could try updating the video card
BIOS, but it's a bit risky.

Tony.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Just something odd about my LCD settings; under "Auto and Input Select" from
the OSD, "Use Analog Input" is highlighted red, and I can't change it. I
just thought this is strange given that I'm using a DVI cable only.

Tony.

Old January 3rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John" wrote in message
[...]

During POST your video card's primary port is the VGA port. The DVI port is
not enabled/active until the video driver is loaded in Windows. I had this
exact same behaviour with older AGP video cards (Ti4600). What I did, until
I got a chance to upgrade my video card, was to connect both the VGA and DVI
cables to the LCD, and after Windows has appeared I would manually switch
the LCD panel's input selection, using the LCD panels source selector
button, from the VGA port to the DVI port.

All of my video cards since from my 6800GT to my current 7800GT don't have
this behaviour, the DVI ports on the video card now supports everything. I
currently use DVI only with my LCDs, no need for VGA anymore.

Old January 3rd 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:00:11 +1300, The Black Wibble wrote:

Just something odd about my LCD settings; under "Auto and Input Select" from
the OSD, "Use Analog Input" is highlighted red, and I can't change it. I
just thought this is strange given that I'm using a DVI cable only.

In regards your last posting where you mentioned updating the card
BIOS, I've had a look at Leadtek site and downloaded the last BIOS
for my card. Don't hold much hope as the update is for TV out only so
will leave this option as a last resort.

Looking at the "Auto and Input select" gave me an idea which I'll try
later, I'll a play around in the settings before swapping back to the
DVI Cable.
Not sure if this applies to "Auto and Input Select" but when using a
DVI connection many of the OSD settings can't be changed from memory.

John.
Old January 3rd 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Homer, How then do you explain that on a reboot, using the DVI cable
connection, everything worked okay i.e all information showed on
monitor? Even If I closed down completely, waited a few minutes then
restarted the computer, everything worked okay.
Only if the computer had been shut down for a longer period (say one
hour or more) did I have the display problem not showing until the
Windows "Welcome Screen". It's like a heat problem but in reverse:-)

The card is an older AGP type.

What I did, until I got a chance to upgrade my video card, was to connect both the VGA and DVI
cables to the LCD, and after Windows has appeared I would manually switch
the LCD panel's input selection, using the LCD panels source selector
button, from the VGA port to the DVI port.

All of my video cards since from my 6800GT to my current 7800GT don't have
this behaviour, the DVI ports on the video card now supports everything. I
currently use DVI only with my LCDs, no need for VGA anymore.

I had thought about purchasing a new graphic card, but the present
card is suitable for my basic requirements at the moment, apart from
this problem.

John.
Old January 3rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:44:01 +1300, John wrote:

[...]

Sometimes, after changing a bios setting on my motherboard (K8N Neo2)
I get the same symptom you're describing, but it seems to correct
itself on the next boot.

Try clearing your CMOS (after recording your current bios settings) to
see if that might solve the problem.