Leadtek 6600 GT crashing when playing video ONLY

Old November 13th 05, 02:32 PM
Evan

Default Leadtek 6600 GT crashing when playing video ONLY

Folks,

I'm running a Leadtek A6600 GT TDH on an MSI KM4M-L motherboard.

I've read the same overheating stories as everyone else....but I can
play HL2 or FEAR or DOOM3 until I'm blue in the face thanks to
downgrading to an older version of the VIA 4-in-1 driver.

What I have a problem with is videos. So far, Quicktime movies and DIVX
seem to not want to work.

With the latest Geforce drivers from Nvidia I was getting the BSOD
(blue screen of death) telling me that the device driver was stuck in
an infinite loop. With Leadtek's latest (77.77) I don't get the BSOD
but the computer crawls to a standstill with Media Player using 99% of
the CPU.

When I attempt to play these videos, the hardware temp monitor of Riva
Tuner isn't showing any massive temp spike when the computer starts
it's slow crawl.

I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to end the process and return to a working state.

Any ideas?

Old November 13th 05, 03:48 PM
First of One

Try a different app like Media Player Classic or VideoLAN, both are free.

You can also toggle the different video display options like "use video
mixing renderer", "overlay", "YUV flipping", etc., and drop "graphics
acceleration" one or two notches in Display Properties.

ups.com...

Old November 13th 05, 04:29 PM
Dan

I had a similar problem myself - the answer was to install the mobo AGP
drivers...

Old November 13th 05, 04:44 PM
Evan

Dan,

I'm using VIA's older drivers to alleviate crashing in 3d games. It
would be ironic if I needed the newer drivers to get video working.

I guess I have to decide whether video playback or 3d games are more
important to me.

Old November 13th 05, 05:54 PM
deimos

Evan wrote:
[...]

I looked up your motherboard and it has a kind of funky chipset goin'
there. Do you have some sort of S3 integrated DeltaChrome graphics as
well? It's supposed to feature multimedia acceleration for videos and
the like. I wonder if this is causing a major system conflict. You
might have to jump through some hoops to disable it completely.

Check your Device Manager (sort by resource/connection) for conflicts
and devices using the same IRQ. After that start stripping down your
system to bare bones and see if you still get the temperature problems
and lockups.
Old November 13th 05, 08:53 PM
Evan

Yes, there is an onboard VGA controller. It's been disabled.

Old November 13th 05, 10:43 PM
Evan

Upgraded to Via 4in1 4.48. Seems to give me working 3d games and
videos. I consider the problem solved...for now.

Old November 14th 05, 06:31 AM
oldwolf

Try the Via 5.00 pro's they seem to work well for video and games.
(just what Ive read over the last few months, on diff forums.)

oldwolf