Install video card problem

Old July 27th 04, 03:11 PM
JI

Default Install video card problem

I'm having a problem installing a video card. I have a PC Chips MoBo M925LR
and an MX 440 8x Geoforce. The board mfg. told me to set graphics adapter to
PCI, which I did. There are no jumpers to turn off the on-board video or
other ways of disconnecting it. I did install the correct driver that came
with the card. When I turn on the computer, with the card inserted,
(connected to monitor or not) the screen remains black and the boot process
seems to stop.

Please advise.

Old July 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Bob

Is this an AGP or PCI card? I think that the MX series were available both
ways, the "8x" part of your description makes it sound like it is an AGP
card. Try resetting your BIOS to AGP and see what happens.

Bob

Old July 27th 04, 04:13 PM
OZMAN

I assume you have an AGP Video card from the 8x description. So setting the
motherboard to PCI makes no sense to me. In you bios you should be able to
turn off the onboard video and then you should then set it to AGP.

Old July 27th 04, 04:33 PM
JI

Thanks. My BIOS does not give me the option to turn off onboard video(at
least it doesn't say "on board video" or any other on/off option). The PCI
idea came from the MoBo mfg.?

Old July 27th 04, 11:02 PM
CapFusion

"JI" wrote in message
Thanks. My BIOS does not give me the option to turn off onboard video(at
least it doesn't say "on board video" or any other on/off option). The PCI
idea came from the MoBo mfg.?

Ok.... so you can not turn of your Onboard VGA. I still do not have a sense
if it a AGP or PCI type.
Assume it a AGP card, try setting your intialization or startup as PCI.
While your PC is booting up and seem to stop. Can you check by attach to
onboard VGA or the MX440-8x card to see if there any display? If both
monitor seem to be blank, then check if there a cursor blinking from a upper
left corner or so?

Also have you check if there a jumper on the MoBo to disable the onboard
VGA?
Also check if there any BIOS update to allow automatic disable feature from
the new update BIOS.

CapFusion,....

Old July 28th 04, 03:22 AM
JI

Thanks.
1. I've set initialization or startup as PCI and it not make a difference.
2. There is no display, blinker or otherwise.
3. There is no jumper available.
4. How would I update BIOS if necessary?

Old July 28th 04, 07:13 PM
CapFusion

"JI" wrote in message
Thanks.
1. I've set initialization or startup as PCI and it not make a difference.
2. There is no display, blinker or otherwise.
3. There is no jumper available.
4. How would I update BIOS if necessary?

Check the MoBo for any BIOS update.
If there no update BIOS, you are SOL and option.

Also, can you check this MX440-8x on anothe PC and see if problem follow?
Try find a MoBo without any built-in VGA.

If still no display from another PC / MoBo, you may have a bad MX440-8x
card.

CapFusion,...