4-output video cards: NVIDIA or Matrox?

Old September 7th 05, 06:58 PM
Dmitri

Default 4-output video cards: NVIDIA or Matrox?

Hello everyone!

Wondering if people in this group have experience with both NVIDIA Quadro
NVS and Matrox G450 cards to help me compare the two. Need to equip a
system that produces 4-channel multimedia output (MPEG-2 mostly). I have
it with NVIDIA Quadro NVS (16Mb RAM per channel) currently, but the PC
seems to be dragging its feet (3.4GHz HT Pentium/1GB RAM/250GB SATA) with
4 channels of video playing.

I understand that there is also some serious processing power required for
the task, but I don't want to go into dual Xeon configuration if some
additional performance can be squeezed out of the videocard first.

None of the manufacturers seem to address multimedia applications like
mine in their product comparison matrix, mostly CAD and just multiple
desktops.

Anyone has any pointers for me? Should I even attempt it with one
processor?

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
alt.comp.hardware - 7925 messages and counting!
Old September 7th 05, 09:51 PM
MrGrumpy

I allways understood Matrox was the leader in multi display cards, tried
emailing them with your specifics?
They were helpfull when I last mailed them

"Dmitri(CAbling-Design.com)" wrote
in message ...

Old September 8th 05, 12:12 AM
DaveW

Yo most likely need multiple graphics cards with hefty processing power
each.

--
DaveW
__________

Old September 8th 05, 01:37 AM
Dmitri

DaveW wrote:

Yo most likely need multiple graphics cards with hefty processing power
each.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion. I honestly never thought it would be
possible on a PCI bus to have four separate video cards. If it is
possible, it would be a nice solution indeed 'cause I can relatively
easily find cards with specialized MPEG de-compression chips onboard, the
functionality both multiple output cards in the OP lack.

Any document on the Net I can read about multiple video card systems?

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
premises cabling users and pros
Residential Cabling Guide

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
alt.comp.hardware - 7969 messages and counting!
Old September 8th 05, 10:56 AM
MrGrumpy

Multiple cards work for some and not for others, there seems to be no
correlation with hw used
Many posts about the problems.